Russian powerlifter breaks both knees at World Raw Powerlifting Fed

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Seen similar examples of poorly chosen Spotters. In this case the Lifter failed so quickly no Spotter could've helped, but there have been other, slower cases where the Promoter just didn't provide adequate Spotters. This was not some small time local Meet either.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
Man that's horrible.
It was just more than his body could handle is the reason?

Last edited:

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
@BrotherIron it's a "raw" meet as to what the Lifters can/cannot wear, but there was a Monolift type apparatus in place.

Any reason for him to have walked it back instead of just staying in place and squatting?

mabdelrasoul

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seen this yesterday, what a tragedy

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
My two guesses as to why he walked it out would be either because of fed rules, or because that's how he trained.

Hard to say if setting up, and not walking it out would have made a difference, but imo it would be safer dealing with those weights.

Reaction score
I'm not a squatter so this is nothing more than opinion but damn, these guys shouldn't be walking out with all that weight. I feel for that guy, that had to be incredibly painful and will be for a while. Id guess his heavy squatting days are behind him....

chandy

Reaction score
I'm not a squatter so this is nothing more than opinion but damn, these guys shouldn't be walking out with all that weight. I feel for that guy, that had to be incredibly painful and will be for a while. Id guess his heavy squatting days are behind him....

Probably painful forever that sounded like a pretty good snap In the video

BrotherIron

Reaction score
@BrotherIron it's a "raw" meet as to what the Lifters can/cannot wear, but there was a Monolift type apparatus in place.

Any reason for him to have walked it back instead of just staying in place and squatting?

Depends on the rules of the Fed as to whether someone has to walk it out or if they can just squat. Normally, if there is a mono in place you just get set and then get the squat command.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

Painful, yup.. you damn right. His best days behind him... nope. I've seen some people have terrible accidents and come back. This injury doesn't mean it's the end for him if he can summon the courage to get back under the bar.

You have to remember that this is more MENTAL than physical. Sure, it's physical because you need the strength but your mind has to be strong enough to commit to the weight. I can tell you right now, you can squat more than you think. You have to train your mind like you train your body to play in the deep water... otherwise stay in the kiddy pool.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
On the plus side... He definitely hit depth. :32 (20):

*I'm definitely going to hell.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
For want of better wording, the Russian Lifter in the OP seems to fail symmetrically, if that makes any sense ... like both sides of him are not up to the task.

Here is something I saw on tv as a kid in 1977 where the Lifter fails in several distinct stages. The left leg seems to be the worst, but if you look closely the R knee seems to be what triggers the L leg. If you have a strong stomach come back to what happens to the R ankle last.

Note: there were no Monolifts in those days, everybody had to walk out a Squat. Note too this guy was chasing a PL legend, Larry Pacifico, who paid him some respect right after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCRH0RDe2c

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ive been watching strongman comps all day..They all kept getting hurt just liken this guy.

New Threads