Modifying my workout split

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I worked with a couple of senior members on the board and came up with a split that I like tremendously, but at this point I would like to add 1-2 days of gym time per week. The issue is that I don't really want to change up the current split too terribly much or I would like to take on something that is similar anyway. What I have now is not anything fancy, but I have found it effective.

Current Split:
M: Leg day, half of workout is focused on squats
T: Chest Day, half of workout is spent on presses (DB or Barbell) with accessory work and destruction of tri's on machines or db's
W: Off
Th: Back day, significant focus on deadlifts with rest of workout on back exercises (pulls etc.)
Fr: Shoulder day and will usually hit some more fun accessory work for a

Weak Points:
Shoulders
Chest

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Maybe do a chest exercise at the end of shoulders day, and a shoulders exercise at the end of chest day, if you wanted more frequency to target your weak areas. That won't change up what you're doing too much.

Just a thought.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe just increase the quality of what you are currently doing.

Reaction score
What part of your shoulders need help? My trainer has had me doing rear delts on back and shoulder day, and that has helped round them out a lot better. My chest lags too.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have just left off the weak points comment, I think it is confusing in what I'm asking.

The real question: What could I do to keep my split similar to what it is now but adding 1-2 days of gym time per week? That's what I'm after.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Pull- lats focus, a little upper back, biceps
Push- chest focus, a little shoulders, triceps
Legs- quad focus, little hammies, calfs
off
Pull- upper back focus, a little lats, biceps
Push- shoulder focus, a little chest, triceps
Legs- hammies focus, a little quads, calfs
off

Rotate thru them

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My splits, do this twice a week

Chest/Back
Legs/bis/tris
Shoulders

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Why exactly do you want to add1-2 gym sessions per week. What are the current goals? Strength, bulking, cutting etc. are you progressing on what you are currently doing?

a 5 day split I haven’t done but makes sense to me is in the picture I attached
4650756B-C530-4360-B905-38B30536EF8D.jpg

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Leave your current schedule as is like you said, but for example go in on Saturday and mix things up like tire flips, sled pulls and pushes, battle ropes, some kettle bell exercises, even an Olympic lift.. not saying do all these exercises, but two or 3 and rotate them every week. I mix these up on Sundays myself. Love it. Hell of a workout

DOOM

Reaction score
Last edited:

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
What are you doing for cardio? Of nothing just add 1 or two days of cardio. Even better cardio as per Seeker's post.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Leave your current schedule as is like you said, but for example go in on Saturday and mix things up like tire flips, sled pulls and pushes, battle ropes, some kettle bell exercises, even an Olympic lift.. not saying do all these exercises, but two or 3 and rotate them every week. I mix these up on Sundays myself. Love it. Hell of a workout
Love it, great idea.

What are you doing for cardio? Of nothing just add 1 or two days of cardio. Even better cardio as per Seeker's post.
Those closer to me know that I despise cardio and have not done it in forever. I started doing cardio last week because I finally quit smoking, today is day 10 smoke free for me. 22 years of that shit was 22 years too many. Glad to be free.

My knees can't handle running, so I've started biking around the house since we're stuck here anyway. I have a hybrid mountain/city bike and rode for 30 minutes today. Goal is to hit 30 minutes a day, everyday.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the cardio, But grass doesn't grow under my ass while I workout! especially now with a mask on. Now, this is my opinion but fuk deadlifts! unless you are planning on hitting the platform. There are much better exercises you can do for back development. As we get older we need to make sure we don't fuk shit up. Again IMO deads have a huge potential to fuk things up. Just looking out buddy. I have the same split but I do shoulder work on leg day. However, I don't squat. So, my leg day is just meh.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I go back to this program at least once a year. Layne Norton Phat 6. It easy to follow and list every movement.
It is basically one power upper and lower body day followed by three hypertrophy days. It allows you to hit everything twice a week with two full days off. It’s a great intermediate program!

http://simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
BTW, I looked up this link and appreciate you sharing. I will absolutely run this split at some point.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the cardio, But grass doesn't grow under my ass while I workout! especially now with a mask on. Now, this is my opinion but fuk deadlifts! unless you are planning on hitting the platform. There are much better exercises you can do for back development. As we get older we need to make sure we don't fuk shit up. Again IMO deads have a huge potential to fuk things up. Just looking out buddy. I have the same split but I do shoulder work on leg day. However, I don't squat. So, my leg day is just meh.
I hear you man, and agree for the most part. We aren't youngin's anymore, definitely a true statement for both of us lol. I know that for me, DL's help improve my overall back health to where I have less back pain in my life on a regular basis, if I don't DL is when I'm in more pain. I just try to be careful and avoid the heavy singles etc.

Reactions: DF

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Pull- lats focus, a little upper back, biceps
Push- chest focus, a little shoulders, triceps
Legs- quad focus, little hammies, calfs
off
Pull- upper back focus, a little lats, biceps
Push- shoulder focus, a little chest, triceps
Legs- hammies focus, a little quads, calfs
off

Rotate thru them

This....

But remember more isn't always better. You grow outside the gym and not in it.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I put about 17 miles on my bike, about 1.5 hours of cardio split into two sessions as if was an 'off day' in regards to the gym.

I plan on incorporating cardio into a daily routine, Snake has told me to get this done for years.

New Threads