Raises hand....hi i am the new guy

Reaction score
42 year old Dad here...so i have the perfect Dadbod.
I have lifted weights off and on for most of my adulthood, but have never just really pushed myself. It has always just been my stress reliever from work, family, life, this 2020 shit year etc... During covid and not being able to go i found out how much it actually helped my overall wellbeing. Mentally, physically, and emotionally.

So I have decided that i want to really take a go at it. I want to first do a real bulk. I am not a sweets person and i actually prefer good clean food. I love to cook. I am 6’0 and 196 and according to my non-scientific weight scale am around 24% BF. I use Jefit to log and myfitnesspal to log nutrition. My goal is to gain about 12-15 lbs and do it cleanly as possible. Right now i am doing full body splits every other day and eating around 2750 cals with a 30p-40c-30f macro split. Ive been lurking here and other forums (including reddit but they act like their shit doesn’t stink) and this site seems to have the better advice and people.

I will gladly take any advice on training/nutrition etc. Also i would like any podcast or documentary suggestions as well.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
Nice intro. Welcome to the underground. Lots of information here and very knowledgeable people.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the party. There is a wealth of knowledge here. You're already tracking your macros so you know how much to eat to be 196. That is where you're going to find those other pounds you seek, in the kitchen.

Reaction score
Thanks for the red carpet roll out folks. I think my lats even blushed reading the welcomes.
When i have more time i am going to log my progress in the forum. Mainly because that will help motivate me to stay at it.

I have a basic knowledge of “how and what to do” Just enough to make me dangerous. But that knowledge was for a much younger man. Now As a 42 yr old dad I am also wanting to do this and stay injury free as well as keep myself healthy.
Example is i want to bulk which means eat more and lift heavy, but i also have joints that can ache. I want to stay injury free as much as possible. So what do i incorporate with that. Anti-inflammatory foods?? How much stretching or foam rolling (does that even work and how do you do it).

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Dude, there are so many of us on here that not too long ago were right where you are. Getting back in the game after long periods of not lifting. Just ease into it. I am 40 myself. Like Mike Gundy was.

Reaction score
... As a 42 yr old dad I am also wanting to do this and stay injury free as well as keep myself healthy.
Example is i want to bulk which means eat more and lift heavy, but i also have joints that can ache. I want to stay injury free as much as possible. So what do i incorporate with that. Anti-inflammatory foods?? How much stretching or foam rolling (does that even work and how do you do it).

45 yr old dad here. I ache a lot. I just can't get into foam rolling. Stretching seems to help me a lot, especially with creeky, popping shoulders. There is a good thread on here somewhere, search "flossing," that works also. Then deca will be another popular recommendation here if you plan to go the AAS route.

New Threads