The Cashout Training Philosophy

Cashout

Reaction score
The Cashout Training Philosophy

My training is somewhat different, (surprise! surprise!) than most of the traditional training routines I see tossed around. I don’t do the standard 5X5 type of lifting and the sort. I couldn’t even guess the last time I did a single rep max on any lift. I've learned that for my goal, bodybuilding, these type of programs are not particularly efficient at pushing me toward my vision of what I want to become.

To understand my training philosophy, you have to understand one thing first. I have always, for all of my 27 years of doing this, trained to be a bodybuilder. That has always been my guiding vision. As such, I have never cared how much weight I could lift for a max. If one is training for bodybuilding, maxes don’t matter. You have to show someone how much you can lift. They can see for themselves how good you look.

So the first thing I can share with you about my training program is I never do low reps. Sets of 2,4, or 5 reps do very little for bodybuilding. I know, I know, someone will now point out “Ronnie trained with doubles and triples! Branch trains with doubles and triples!” Okay, let’s get something 100% clear, those guys are the exceptions not the norm in the upper ranks of bodybuilding. As I’ve said, I’ve been around this lifestyle for 27 years now and I can’t even begin to list all of the Pros that I’ve had the opportunity to meet and interact with over the years. Fact is 95% of them don’t train with doubles and triples, or work toward “personal records” on lifts. It is not productive for 95% of bodybuilders and the biggest problem with it is it causes injuries. If you want prove of that, go ask Ronine and Branch about injuries – backs, and triceps, and the list goes on.

So I do higher reps on my sets but that is not the only aspect of my training that makes it unique. I do lots of drop sets, super sets and even tri sets as part of my routines.

With that, I also do a lot of “pre-exhust” in my routines. By pre-exhaust, I mean supersetting an isolation movement with a compound movement. For example, I often do leg extensions to failure in the 15-20 rep range and then I’ll squat with 315 for 20 reps. That is a typically pre-exhust combo for me. This type of combo really forces the muscle to adapt to total different type of stress than the standard “straight set” style of training.

One other note about my training, I always start with the heaviest weight that I’ll use on an exercise on the first set. Knowing that this type of training quickly fatigues the muscle, I actually cut weight on each subsequent set after the first set.

This type of training moves quickly – I keep my rest times to a very minimum – max 2 minutes between sets. Additionally, this type of training really cuts down on the volume of sets that one needs to total waste the target muscle. For most big muscle groups, I do no more than 10-12 sets. Small muscle groups need no more than 5-6 sets.

So let’s take a look at a couple of sample chest routine I employ to give you a better feel for this style of training.

Chest – takes me about 30 minutes to complete

Dumbbell Flys – 90X10+, 85X10+, 80X10+, 80X10+
Supersetted with
Flat Barbell Bench to the Neck – 185X10+, 185X10+, 185X10+, 185X10+

Incline Barbell Press – 4 sets of 225X10+ dropsetted to 155X10+ reps
Supersetted with 4 sets of Bodyweight Dips

You can use this type of training method on most bodyparts but I’ll caution you. It is a very advance method for training. Typically, you have to have conditioned yourself first and foremost to stop worrying about how much weight you are lifting. Most guys never get past that issue. Remember, if you are bodybuilding, how much weight you lift doesn’t matter it’s how you look.

Next, you have to condition yourself to quit counting reps. Notice in all my sets I just list the reps as “10+.” That is because I never know the exact number of reps I might get per set. I only know I’m shooting for no less than 10 because that is where I get best muscle work. So you really have to learn to work to feel the muscle during each rep. You cannot focus on that if you are stuck on counting your reps.

Lastly, you have to condition yourself to put 100% effort into each rep and set. There is no racking the weight just because you hit 10 reps. You keep going to failure every set of every movement. That is why you just don't need more than 10 sets.

Also, it goes without saying my form on all my movements is flawless. I use a slow 2-4 seconds down motion and a explosive movement up.

So that is it. A short summary on my train methods.

Reaction score
Very interesting training method cash. I like the high reps routine and def help me and improve my muscle more than tarining heavy. Right now I`m at the process of condition my body to keep up pushing more reps at one weight , once I reach high reps with no problems so I look at increse weight if need it.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also am a fan of the higher rep routine!

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for post Cash! Enlightening as always.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see a sample back routine of yours. I've figured out what works for me on most other body parts, but back is a little tougher. I grow, but can always grow more.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
so cash a lot of reverse pyramid with weights and not reps type training right? as in what u put:

90X10+, 85X10+, 80X10+, 80X10

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That is an pretty interesting routine. Migh have to give something like that a shot. Currently i do a 5x5 with a burn set at the end @60%ish of the rep weight.

Cashout

Reaction score
so cash a lot of reverse pyramid with weights and not reps type training right? as in what u put:

90X10+, 85X10+, 80X10+, 80X10

That and drop and supersets. I don't count reps but I never do less then 10 hence the "10+"

curls

Reaction score
I first saw the wide grip barbell bench to the neck years ago in one of Arnolds books. If you have never done these start off very light until you are flexable. You will be sore for a week the first time you try these one of my favorite exercise for the chest.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
would you say this program is more for the advanced b.b. or could anyone do it?

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
that some pretty intense shit right there!

one thing I have learned in the last year or so is to let go of my ego and stop worrying about how much weight I can push and just focus on what I want, and that is to look good.
10-12 years ago when I was young, dumb, and full of .... all i wanted was to push weight. I was a powerlifter in high school. was y'all and skinny, very ecto but strong as hell. when I was in the military I was always very lean and would lift heavy and it worked for me. all I eer wanted to do was bench 500lbs. well, as I got older my goals changed. now I'm in my 30's and my body has slowd down. I just want to look good. no interest in body building but want to look good and be in shape. Problem is, I get into a good routine or get on cycle and my strength sky rockets and my ego ends up getting the better of me.

good example was this last cycle of test/tren I ran. half way through my strength was insane and I was pressing some good weight for me. I don't think my body was ready for that type of strength that fast. I was doing some heavy sets of bench press and pulled my pec muscle really bad! not a bad tear like Zeek had, but enough to make me realize I can't be lifting heavy like that any more. the last 6wks of my cycle I didn't even do bench press and I bumped my reps up a lot higher. figured I don't give a shit what the other dudes in the gym think of what I lift, I just wanna look better than them and it's been working great.

Cashout

Reaction score
A few folks have asked for some of my routines for other bodyparts so....as always this is the routine that is performed after proper warm ups are completed.

Legs - Routine #1
Leg Extensions - 4 sets - 220X20+ dropped to 110X10+,220X15+ dropped to 110X10+, 220X10+ dropped to 110X10+, 220X10+ dropped to 110X10+
Supersetted with
Squat* - 4 sets 405X10, 405X10, 405X10, 405X10

Seated Leg Curl 3 sets 200X15+, 200X 10+, 200X10+
Supersetted with
Stiff Leg Deadlift on a block - 225X10, 225X10, 225X10

*Sometimes I'll do the squats for sets of 20 reps with 315 instead of 10 reps with 405.

Legs - Routine #2 (The Tri-Set Routine)
Leg Extension - 3 sets 220X20+, 220X15+, 220X10+, 220X10+
Supersetted with
Leg Press - 3 sets 20 platesX20, 20 platesX20, 20 platesX20
Supersetted with
Smith Machine Front Squat 3 sets 185X10, 185X10, 185X10

Lying Leg Curl 4 sets 210X10+ dropped to 140X10+, dropped to 70X10+

Those are two of my "wheel maker" routines. Have fun!

Calves.png

Quads.png

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started doing 20 rep squats 2 months ago. makes me wanna puke!

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cash,

I'm also curious about what your smaller muscle routines look like I.E bi's, tri's. as you said you don't do as much volume for them.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's brutal. I'm gonna give something like that a try tomorrow. Keep the examples coming, they help give us new ways to punish ourselves!

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The arms and back workouts would be interesting to see. I'm curious about which back exercises can be supersetted well since I tend to get pretty winded doing back.

Also, teach us how to get calves like yours bro. Damn!

Cash,

I'm also curious about what your smaller muscle routines look like I.E bi's, tri's. as you said you don't do as much volume for them.

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this, normally I do pyramid style starting at 15 reps.

Thanks for posting this cash!

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up Cashout. I used to do more of this type of workout when I was younger. I'm going to put some of this back into my routine. Thanks for the great info Bro.