shit aint that hard

the kid is a straight a student, wtf right

im trying to teach him to do a job right

not just do it half assed

anyways the mom thinks im an asshole for this

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
There are probably rules about how long prior to pickup you are allowed to set out your trash/recycling. I’m sure a week in advance isn’t permissible. There are probably fines to enforce those rules.

This is a no brainer. He should do it right.

If you two have a good relationship and you aren’t being a dickhead about the way you correct him then his mom should stay out of the conversation.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Aleast he's consistent w his duties!
Practicing the always be early thing?
As far as the mother always adding her 2 cents? Good luck!! At our house we have the recycle day markerd eow on the calendar!

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Different perspectives:

You: We look like retards. Learn to do shit right.
Her: Don't be so hard on him for something that matters so little.
Him: Can't remember if recycle is supposed to go out this week...will put it out just in case.

Your perspective is not wrong and neither are theirs.

A big calendar by cans showing when recycle is supposed to go out might help?

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Sometimes a little tough love is necessary. Sometimes being embarrassed or being made to feel bad can help you learn...he won’t won’t to feel like that again or upset you again so he will be sure to do it right from now on. People in the real worked aren’t going to coddle him when he messes up so you shouldn’t always. As long as you are teaching him, showing him love and respect while providing him all his needs I don’t see anything wrong with some tough love

Reaction score
16 year old step son ... ever hear the saying you can’t teach an old dog new tricks I wouldn’t be having no next man living under my roof unless he came from these nuts ��...... hold on hold on his mum is smoking hot right ? Well maybe then revaluation of the situation would be considered but she would have to be absolutely smoking ......

Tinbeater36

Reaction score
I have a similar conversation with my 11 year old almost every day it seems. He has very few chores, and obviously at 11 nowhere to be. He rushes through everything and then I make him do it over. I constantly tell him to slow down, pay attention to what you are doing, and do a good job the first time, it will be faster in the long run. Still hasn't sunk in. If you figure it out let me know. BTW my wife gets upset with me too. I remind her that some day he will have a job and doing shitty work won't fly.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is how I'd approach it.

"hey...would you like to spend less time doing chores?? You can do that reducing the number of times you take out the recycling each month. Let me help you set up a calendar so you know which weeks you need to do it..and which weeks you don't."

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Dude you can't ****ing win. My step kid is turning 15 this month I literally can't say shit or my wife does the same shit and it gets to the point where we really go at it. WTF is the point of being a step dad if anything you say has to be contradicted by the wife? Wife tells me go get milk I tell her send the kid on the bike to Walgreens literally no busy streets just side streets to the Walgreens kid never went to the store to pick anything up for us ever. When I was 14 I was going to pick my Mom up smokes and all sorts of shit.

In your case you literally informed the kid about the schedule for recycling not like you came in yelling talking shit I take it. Nothing wrong with that at all and your wife should of never even gotten involved in the conversation unless it was to agree with you in my opinion. This is the shit that happens and I hold it in and let these things build up until finally one day I snap it's not healthy.

If you figure it out let me know cause we are in the same boat.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
It's a pain in the ass Z. Raised a step son from 4 to 17 and it was always a strain on the marriage.

I think you were in the right though.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
There are probably rules about how long prior to pickup you are allowed to set out your trash/recycling. I’m sure a week in advance isn’t permissible. There are probably fines to enforce those rules.

This is a no brainer. He should do it right.

If you two have a good relationship and you aren’t being a dickhead about the way you correct him then his mom should stay out of the conversation.

The trash goes out every week the recycle goes out with it every other week. So it will get brought back in by that night regardless. But I'm really cool & respectful about it. Once in a blue moon will I attempt to call these kids out on their short comings, too.

Sounds like he's a good kid who made an innocent mistake to me...

Hes a great kid for sure, that's why I'm trying to help to be more focused on detail.

Circle the dates on the calendar when the trash needs to go out. Easy to see.

It's what I do for myself. :32 (20):

We will do that from now on. But it's also pretty obvious when you look up and down the street. All you see is trash cans no recycle containers.

Your not allowed to raise a man anymore. Is why the world is full of pussies.

You try and you will catch a charge.

That's true but not in this case, hes not a pussy he just needs to focus on doing a job right. Rather than just going through the motion without thinking about what hes doing.

I don’t see anything wrong with some tough love

Just to be clear I wasn't being rude or condescending, just said be more focused so we don't look like the retards.

Make a tik tok video for him

He hasn't really discovered that app yet. When he does then were really going to have trouble getting him to focus on anything other that a bunch of big fat asses twerkin

BTW my wife gets upset with me too. I remind her that some day he will have a job and doing shitty work won't fly.

This is exactly what I'm trying to get across. School Isn't teaching him this type of lesson, they expect it to be taught at home I guess.

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with ya zeg
he just needs to get his head out and focus. It really isn’t that difficult.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with ya zeg
he just needs to get his head out and focus. It really isn’t that difficult.

yessir, a couple years ago he had a thing going where id pick him up from school.

Hed get in the car & immediately get on the phone.

Then get out of the car & stay focused on the phone all the way into the house.

One day I got him a small 5 gallon fish tank to put his betta in.

Dude gets out of the car staring at the phone in one hand tank in the other.

Cracks the tank (literally breaks it so it leaks) against the side of someone elses car & just keeps on walking like it didnt just happen.

Same thing I said this & that about it the gf defends him. Said just an accident.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he honestly dont care for u...... I mean if he cant take his eyes away from the phone long enough to carry a fish tank, and he leaves the can out near the road (being too lazy, knowing he wont have to move the damn thing),

Even if he is a good dude, its time to talk to the woman to see whats up?

I have an issue with my kids az well, i tell them to do something and they look at mommie like she is the one to answer to, then i snap and loose my chit.... Women dont understand the whole "respect" thing.....

New Threads