Dip belt

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Warning: Calf Talk.

I think I need to take some pressure off my back so I am buying a dip belt to try and hit calves. Not using monster weight for calves but between normal training and hitting them 3x/wk coupled with a busy summer around the house, it's taken its toll.

Anyone do these and have any suggestions?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've tried hanging weight off and doing Donkey Calf Raises at home. Felt awkward.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Arthur Jones once said he wasn’t going to make a calf machine because there was already a perfect exercise for calves; one legged calf raises while holding a dumbbell.

Of course he later created one, but if you haven’t tried that before it might be interesting for you to play around with while you wait for your belt to arrive.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I have always just used the smith machine for calf raises.... i know, i know.... but it works very well.... but i would lile to try what your talking about.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Snake have you tried seated raises with plates on your knees?or bent over with someone on your back,like your wife?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Snake have you tried seated raises with plates on your knees?or bent over with someone on your back,like your wife?

Can do these if you have a leg curl machine too.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
or bent over with someone on your back,like your wife?

In high school our weight room didn’t have calf machines so my brother and I would do these and the one of us sitting on the others back would hold plates as well. Always got some weird stares, but we had to work with what we had and it worked.

I go to a gym that has one of these now. Same concept, but doesn’t allow the same natural pattern.....though is much more socially acceptable. You have the privacy of the Snake Pit, though, Snake. Tell your wife to mount up and hold a couple of 45s.

View attachment 10510

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Has not seen anyone wearing a dip belt since the early 90s

Reaction score
Dark Iron Fitness

I have their regular belt and love it so much that I am planning to collect everything they have.

I own their weighted dip belt. I really like it as opposed to a chain style belt. It’s only six months old so we’ll have to see how the fabric weight loop wears. So far so good!

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Old school guys use to only wear them, and they either died off or stopped going....

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Ugh... I was going to try that too! Thanks and I'll let ya know when the belt comes

Just have the sig other hop on your backside when doing the donk calf raises. Doesn't cost a thing.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
This came yesterday so I gave it a shot. Right out of the box it looked small. The donkey calf actually worked better then the standing. Jury is still out: I need to get another chain so I can get another plate hooked to it.