How to grow chest more?

Reaction score
Hey. 20yo male. Been working out full body and have seen noticeable results on all body parts except really my chest.

I’ve always been skinny fat even though I played sports and in January I started a cut from 164lb to August where I ended at 144lb. During this time I started my workout routine that I’m still doing now.

For my chest I do flat dumbellb bench press twice a week along with dumbbell chest crossovers with one hardcore push-up/body weight day for both my chest and shoulders. I lost quite a bit of fat overall with minimal strength loss even though I still had a belly sticking out a bit (can’t get rid of that cuz bad genes lmao).

Since August I’ve been bulking and I’ve been making sure to gain only 2lb a month. So far I’ve felt increases in strength with proper bench press form (shoulders blades together, etc). But my chest has not really grown physically.

Also, I feel my chest is very strangely unbalanced. Oddly enough it is my right pec which looks under developed even though it’s my dominant side.

Here is a normal picture of my relaxed chest:
BC2A95D7-3189-46EB-84FF-85F900E8874C.jpg

Here is a closer picture and from a downward angle facing up:
9E928506-4A8A-4FA6-BFE1-F8BEFC1EADF3.jpg

What should I be doing? My diet is conducive to growth im getting 120+g of protein each day and macros are good. I am getting stronger but not much aesthetic growth.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Welcome to the underground!
Plenty of good information here!
Keep working out & get your diet and calorie intake right!
Nothing changes without hard consistent work!!!

Reaction score
First off, most everyone is unbalanced in one way or another. It's rare that people look perfectly semetrical. I've got one calf bigger than the other, my left ankle has a slight curve in the bone above it, one lat insertion is visibly higher than the other one...lol I could go on.

My chest lags in muscle growth compared to the rest of me too! But it's gonna take time, and I have to be patient and persistent.

It doesn't sound like you have been at this for long, so my suggestion is to listen to some of the more experienced guys here. They will help you get your workouts and diet in order.

Maybe start an online journal in the member's journals section here and track your progress.

You can reach your goals if you keep at this. You found a great site to get started on here. Keep up the hard work.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
Welcome...id say stop playing the cut bulk yo yo...unless your bf was out of control not sure why y I ud cut at 164 unless you wrestle or something...as far as chest gains do lots of barbell bench. Eat lots of food and don't skip legs...in a nutshell eat your ass off and lift heavy the gains will come

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Don't feel bad when I say this, but you don’t have enough muscle on your frame to even know what's lacking. There's no way to tell what your weak areas are yet.

Follow a sensible training program, eat to support muscle growth, AND BE CONSISTENT over a long period of time. I mean years.

Stick to the basic time tested compound movements, and get stronger on those.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
As everyone else said, follow a very basic strength training program and just focus on getting strong as hell. You are far from having to worry about weaknesses or unbalances yet. When you are dumbell pressing 150 pound dumbells for sets of 10, if your chest is still under developed, then its time to start fine tuning things.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
As stated above by Seeker and brock8282. Incline and flat presses 2-3 times/week, barbell or dumbell doesn't matter.

And eat more. If I was in your shoes I would eat 1 gram protein per pound bodyweight, just make it easy, 150 grams protein. The rest of the calories in healthy carbs had fats. I would eat enough to be in a calorie surplus of 300-500 cal/day. Plenty of guys will be happy to help with both nutrition and training here.

Consistency and patience. It takes a long time of repeating the same thing over and over to grow. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My bf% was at 22% and literally everyone I talked to about it said to cut first or else I would get so fat during my bulk that I’d lose motivation to continue working out.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice on here guys. Glad I found such a dedicated and experience group of dudes here. I think the main advice I’m seeing is to 1. Stick to big strength lifts and 2. Keep eating a lot and being consistent.

I had 2 questions tho. 1. Should I keep lifting until I gained my desired weight (170 lb ) or lift until I reach a specific strength goal (150lb bench press)
2. How can I work on building the inner chest more as well?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
The only way to grow your "inner" chest is to grow all of your chest. Look at the anatomy, origins and insertions, and what the pectorals major and minor do as far as primary and secondary movement.

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
For chest you have to make sure you are really engaging the chest muscles. It's easy to let the triceps/shoulders take over if you don't have the mind-muscle connection figured out. For dumbbell bench make sure you are getting a good stretch at the bottom and try to start the upward motion with the chest muscles. Really, for any chest exercise try and feel the chest muscles starting the motion. With as little chest muscle as you have you need to drop the cable movements and concentrate on heavy flat and incline presses. Get a good arch in your back, a good stretch at the bottom and engage with your chest muscles.
EDIT: Just noticed dk8594 already hit on this...sorry :^ /

Last edited:

Tatlifter

Reaction score
Welcome to the UG.

Use more compound movements with the BAR!

Do Incline bar press/flys
Flat bar press/flys

Use compound movements on the other body part exercises as well.

In my opinion a full body workout is okay every once in a while but it doesnt give you enough time to focus on each muscle and not enough recovery if doing it several times plus a week.

Research and ask questions. Great knowledge in this group.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
How long have you been lifting? What was the lifting regimen in what sports you played? Listen to CJ, he isn't trying to hurt your feelings. Move heavy things and eat well/rest well. It'll come. You're young still.

New Threads