Legs without squatting

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We’ve talked about this before and found a John Meadow’s video about it.

1) check out his thighs when he is doing leg extensions.

2) interesting “fast” warm up he does. Quick 6 rep sets working up the stack.

3) what he is calling a cluster set I remember being called rest pause at some point. Have done it on leg press and it’s brutal. Just make sure you are on a leg press that had a catch.

4) some of the machines he is using is from Prime Fitness. Interesting stuff in that you can change the dimensions so it’s either heavy in the hole or heavy up top.

Regardless, always good stuff from John. Enjoy!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hes a good guy and deserves lots of respect as he also loves the lift. Hard-core worker. Good video. I guess I'm fortunate in my aging years as I can still comfortably squat with ease. Just finished actually. 98 damn degrees, in the sun, gym is still outside, bar was hot in hands. Good video. I don't have patience to watch many videos but he's always worth the time

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
It's been taken about but there's no problem talking about again.

My experience is people fall into one of three categories. You either squat because you want to, don't squat because you don't want to squat or want to squat but can't. It kills me when guys who squatted the house for years, built huge legs and because they can no longer squat, say you don't need to squat to have big legs.

Like Seek implied, if you still can, do it. If you can no longer do it, don't.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Many lifters dread doing squats. I did at first too until I got used to them.

Maybe some are older and their knees and ankles are not what they used to be.

But nothing can change the fact that they are still one of the best lifts...and there are so many variations.

So really no excuse not to do some form of squat. Jazzercise DB Squat 3.0 lbs x 2! :32 (18):

John Meadows is one of my favorites to learn from.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Squats were the foundation of my leg day until about 3 yrs ago. No major injuries, but it had gotten to the place where I was feeling them in all the wrong spots. I don’t think my leg development took a hit, and I have gotten over it, but it was a big hit to my pride.

A lot of respect for John and this video. It shows that if there is something blocking your path you don’t stop. You just go around it.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I do believe that once the legs are built you can back off traditional squats and maintain/slowly keep building them without barbell squats.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I do squats always, sometimes on their own day. With the boys, it’s a squat party

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I just found this dude, I did his 4 exercise quad routine the other day and Jesus that was good. That included 2 types of squat though, I think the guy is great. Easy to listen too as well

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Squats are a must in the beginning but imo I believe once you build a nice set of wheels,
And can no longer squat there's plenty of other options to maintain!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
You squat until you can no longer can squat, then you find a variation like Meadows is highlighting and stated above. Seen a lot youngins out there skipping on squats for leg press pretending they got bad backs and knees lol. Nothing wrong with your health young man you just need to man Up!

bigbadjedi93

Reaction score
Dude has some nice leg definition. Mine will get there one day.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
You guys seen snake's legs? Mister Snake is in his 50's. Wonder what he does...

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I think people's form is what forces them to quit squatting. Open those hips so you don't have so much forward knee travel and you'll add mileage.

Agree; been squatting heavy weight w/o belts/straps for over 20 something years. No problem yet, insha’allah.

Reaction score
I try to avoid squats because they tend to work my quads more than hamstrings and glutes. I work them usually once or twice a week. If I do too much I end up with muscle imbalance. This may be due to having a long femur and short torso. I do them wide to mitigate this. Regardless, I do believe this is a pretty useful exercise that works lots of muscles and not just legs.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Agree; been squatting heavy weight w/o belts/straps for over 20 something years. No problem yet, insha’allah.
Same! 100% Raw.. no suits belts straps wraps sleeves gloves or stickum
I try to avoid squats because they tend to work my quads more than hamstrings and glutes. I work them usually once or twice a week. If I do too much I end up with muscle imbalance. This may be due to having a long femur and short torso. I do them wide to mitigate this. Regardless, I do believe this is a pretty useful exercise that works lots of muscles and not just legs.

Wide stance, bar placed on your lower traps will help you sit back through the squat and hit more glutes.

Narrow stance on a declined platform with the bar high on the traps will murder the quads, especially if you're down front squats

Hit hammies with and glutes hard with rdl's and walking lunges

New Threads