What’s your sleep routine?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember. Basically as soon as my heads hits the pillow my mind starts racing.

Anyone use any good techniques for prepping for a good night sleep? (Not looking for supplements/ drugs ,but heathy sleep habits that you have found work well for you)

Reaction score
no working out at least 3 hours before bedtime. Carbs are a no go at least 2 hours before. Night shift on your phone (if you have that ability). Develop a routine for yourself that works for your schedule. Limit distractions, find a comfortable sleep position, and close your eyes. Don’t get caught up in thought unless it’s something relaxing (not about hitting a new PR tomorrow). A hot bath an hour before bed is a good way to release a lot of body heat before getting under covers. Look into the four count breathing technique. Can help indefinitely with getting your mind in a stable place.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
No booze (I’ve actually started having my daily beer with lunch). No caffeine after morning time. No phone in bed. Eat a Unisom (non habit forming and hands down the best sleep aid). Read a book.

I use earplugs and my body knows when they’re in that it’s time to sleep. Similarly, most sleep experts will advise you to use your bedroom only for sleeping or sex. No work, no phone no nothing else so that when you’re in bed your body is cued for sleep.

I eat a couple bananas before bed. Lots of potassium. Not sure it helps but it can’t hurt.

I was always curious why you are posting at such strange hours;)

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
Have the same problem. Reading works sometimes but am curious as to some other members suggestions as well

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I know you said not drugs but I used CBD oil for this exact reason and after a few months I stopped it and continued with the same good sleep.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Cool pitch black sleeping quarters w a good pillow, w 15 mg of melatonin,
Works for me 9pm to 5 am! Dead to the world!!!!!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Similarly, most sleep experts will advise you to use your bedroom only for sleeping or sex. No work, no phone no nothing else so that when you’re in bed your body is cued for sleep.

^^^This!!!

Really pisses the ol' lady off how fast I fall asleep. Tell her all the time to stop watching TV or playing on her phone in bed. She's too stubborn to listen

And set up a consistent routine. I can fall asleep in my work truck in seconds because I have the same routine before each nap. Doesn't even matter if there's loud noises nearby, I'm OUT COLD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just try to meditate and focus on my breathing, blocking out any other thoughts. If I'm tired and I do that, it usually works.

If I'm just not tired enough, which happens sometimes, I will read for a while. Also sex/jerking off is like a sleeping pill for me.

Tatlifter

Reaction score
Ive always had trouble sleeping as well.

I use earplugs like Jin stated and I cant sleep without them.

I also take a unisom which is non habit forming.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know you said not drugs but I used CBD oil for this exact reason and after a few months I stopped it and continued with the same good sleep.

My wife was going to experiment with CBD. Curious....why did you stop?

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Turn on a fan for white noise, sometimes my wife will play a sleep hypnosis app she found and sometimes it helps, she said it works better if you use headphones while listening because you hear it better. May be worth a try.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Jin's response it the best text book way for a good nights sleep. I need a TV on even though it breaks all sleeping rules. I have tinnitus so quite means I get to listen to a hum. I do a snack in bed. Something in my gut is helps me sleep but the 18 oz of milk with it will add a piss in the middle of the night.

I think a routine is the key with no activity (sex excluded) but for me, Ambien is the only way I can get a good nights sleep.

Hinderluck

Lady Member
Reaction score
Does warm milk still work? They say essential oils help, and I know it's weird, but someone told me to put 3 lemons on my bedside table.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have to fall asleep to a tv, pisses the wife off, so i set it at a different darker setting and turn on the captions, just barely have it high enough for me to hear it and i am dropping remotes on my face qnd snoring my ass off facing my sleep apnea machine by about 230 am every day

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Play ocean sounds on amazon echo
2 shots of zzzquil
3000 mg of GABA

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have no problem falling asleep its staying asleep for 8 hours ... one brand of melatonin 3 mgs works for me ... I've been test Relaxium this past month also works well ...

As for "text book" methods above I've tested and work for falling asleep but but did not help me sleep through the night ...

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I stop drinking caffeine no later than 2pm if I want to get to bed by 11. An hour before bed I stop engaging my mind by just watching something mindless and let my body relax. I also recommend either earplugs or some sort of white noise, I use a fan to accomplish that. You might try angling the fan to be on you just a little if you're the sort of person who finds a nice breeze to be relaxing. You may find the sensation of that breeze to be enough to shift your mind focus onto something more peaceful and meditative. Finding a fan that's quiet is important if you choose to go that route, smaller fans and fans with metal cages tend to rattle or spin too loudly.

Setting up your bedroom as a place for rest is also important as others had mentioned. I use light-block curtains and minimize any digital devices that emit a glow. Any devices that do glow, like an alarm clock, I turn to face away from me. My phone is set to charge (on silent) out in the kitchen, far away from the bedroom because my bedroom is a place for rest.

I also started using a mouth guard because in the past I used to grind my teeth a lot. It's had a pleasant effect on sleep too. It's almost like once the guard goes in, it creates that separation in my mind that now it's time to sleep. A bit of a Pavlovian response but it works for me.

Last edited: