Eating healthy on just $20 a week

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I have no idea. Ballpark, the wife tries to stay around $250 a week for a family of 5, not including the "Stopping to pick up (blank)" If it's not on sale, it's not normally get purchased. Eating out is damn near zero short of getting pizza. We don't buy much meat at the store, we raise 2 pigs every year and get 1/2 a side of beef. Then there is that fuukin rooster who decides to spur me when I'm getting the eggs.That fuuker doesn't get to see the sun come up.

Note: protein powder excluded.

Damn we got a family of 5 wish my wife made it work for $250/week that’s great budgeting for 5

andy

Elite
Reaction score
don't wanna start even counting, I'll get depressed

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
200-250 for two and a toddler.( chicken nuggets are more expensive than I remember !)
ive found curbside pick up saves me money. I am usually hungry when I goto the grocery store and buy sh*t I done need.

mabdelrasoul

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My dominoes hits 100$ a month easy lol

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I spent $45 on fresh fruit last night - for 3 to 4 days .. groceries cost gone up considerably in 2020 ... I will say expense for bite-squad and uber-eats really can take the weekly food bill to another level ... it's easy to spend $30 for lunch these days .. I remember thinking a few years ago thinking $10 lunch is retarded ...

Reaction score
Back in 2007 after my divorce I watched a TV program focusing on welfare food benefits...the story was people on assistance had to live on $35 a week...some senator tried it and lasted 2 days...I said **** that and learned how to eat healthy for less than $30 a week...a dozen eggs, some on sale chicken breast, potatoes, some green veggies and yogurt was less than $30 a week...it has been 13 years and I still do it...every once in a while I will spend $40 and I feel guilty and pissed!...

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
All food is boring at this point of my bulk so diet is boring as shit.
21 pounds chicken breast a week- $42
5.25 lbs 93/7 ground beef a week (12oz a day) - about $25
so $67 on my protein which isn’t bad but I’m not even going to try to count how much I spend on rice, potatoes, cereal, fruit, evoo, and almond butter + sauces and seasonings

Reaction score
Depends on the week. I buy most everything from the farmers that grow the food or raise the animals so it's not difficult to stay under $50 to $75 a week. Prices are way better than the store. These people can be found on facebook marketplace. There's only a handful of things I go to the store for now.

Slic.

Roxie000

Lady Member
Reaction score
$300 and that’s cause I buy the good stuff . Organic , gluten free, etc... but I need to make changed before I run out of money .

Reaction score
Organic pasteurized eggs. And cheap chicken breast. If you only have that much money to spend.

But I spend $20 on lunch alone. Family of 3, about $190-$220 on groceries a week. That is before I started just eating eggs and egg whites for breakfast and dinner. I’m sure it’s cheaper. Not counting going out.

Last edited:

BigBubba

Reaction score
Around $100/wk just food. I buy in bulk and am fine eating the same thing over and over so I can get bulks of eggs, chicken, rice, broccoli. I also like to hit Trader Joes and stock up on things like their cauliflower rice

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
If I had to do it in order to survive, I could for sure, but it wouldn't work for this lifestyle. Lentils, rice, etc

Iwanttestdecatren

Reaction score
My diet consists mainly of chicken breasts, rice, spinach, red peppers, oatmeal, whey protein, and yogurt. So not much, maybe around $100 a week or less.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Even in the Philippines, one of my friends who currently resides there told me it costs him $26 for a week's worth of groceries. It does, however, feed him and his girlfriend. EDIT: He did tell me that he gave a beggar a quarter and the beggar tried to give him change because a quarter was "too much"...

OTOH, he says I haven't lived life until I have eaten a vine ripened banana. I really should visit there, but my great grandmother's dying wish was that I NEVER go to the Philippines, and to date, I have honored it. My mother and her family emigrated from there to the USA in the 60s. I often wonder why she never wanted me to go there though... She wouldn't tell me other than to make me promise that I would NOT go there and I just find that strange.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Even in the Philippines, one of my friends who currently resides there told me it costs him $26 for a week's worth of groceries. It does, however, feed him and his girlfriend. EDIT: He did tell me that he gave a beggar a quarter and the beggar tried to give him change because a quarter was "too much"...

OTOH, he says I haven't lived life until I have eaten a vine ripened banana. I really should visit there, but my great grandmother's dying wish was that I NEVER go to the Philippines, and to date, I have honored it. My mother and her family emigrated from there to the USA in the 60s. I often wonder why she never wanted me to go there though... She wouldn't tell me other than to make me promise that I would NOT go there and I just find that strange.
Family blood feud?

Ive heard from my friends they don’t stop until the entire family is dead. Maybe she’s trying to protect you.

New Threads