Ready for a 5-day Split?

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I feel that I've got enough experience and fitness to switch to a 5 day split, with cardio interlaced. My concerns are overtraining and/or recovery probs.

Ive been casually been doing a push,pull, legs routine for 3 months continuously, and 8 total months before covíd.

I want to get more serious about weight lifting, compounded with having too much spare time with fishing over.

I eat like Im pregnant with tapeworms and I get 10 hours of sleep 5 days of the week. I Think this will prevent over training.

What are your guy's opinions?

Ps. is measuring done while flexing or lax, read it both ways

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I feel that I've got enough experience and fitness to switch to a 5 day split, with cardio interlaced. My concerns are overtraining and/or recovery probs.

Ive been casually been doing a push,pull, legs routine for 3 months continuously, and 8 total months before covíd.

I want to get more serious about weight lifting, compounded with having too much spare time with fishing over.

I eat like Im pregnant with tapeworms and I get 10 hours of sleep 5 days of the week. I Think this will prevent over training.

What are your guy's opinions?

Ps. is measuring done while flexing or lax, read it both ways

Fishing over i dont understand...lol...do what feels right. If you aren't getting enough rest training 5 days go back to 4..sounds like you get plenty of rest go for it

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Definitely getting enough food and sleep!
Different things work for different people,
Only you will know your limits?
When feeling tried and sore thts your bodies way of letting you know!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm unsure of what you are saying.

Are you going from working out 3 days per week to 5 days per week?

Or are you going from a rotating PPL 5 day per week routine to more of a 5 day body part "bro split"?

Tinbeater36

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but I can tell you what I do. I typically go 2 days in the gym, one day rest. Life/work don't always allow this so I adjust as necessary. For example if I know I have meetings late on a Tuesday and I may stretch my 2 days to 3 days in a row. Recently I went really hard for a 13-14 week run and I took a whole week off after that. With your diet and sleep schedule I don't think you should have any issue going w a 2 days on, 1 day off. That will basically put you at a 5 day split each week. Another thing that may affect all of this is how you schedule your training. For instance if I do legs on Monday evening I'm not going to come in and do deadlifts for back on Tuesday. I try to give myself some time off days that may work the same muscles. My split typically looks something like this:

Sunday: Legs
Monday: Chest/Tris
Tue: Rest
Wed: Back/Bis
Thur: Shoulders (my shoulders are lagging so they get their own day)
Fri: Rest
Sat: Legs
Sun : Chest/Tris
and on and on

I'm always messing with this too based on work schedule and how I feel. If I get run down I'll take a day off, if I'm feeling good and energetic and nothing is hurting I may skip a rest day. Or if I feel like I had a shitty chest day I might push shoulders back a day and get another chest day worked in there. It's all about finding what works for you.

Reactions: Jin

BrotherIron

Reaction score
In the gym more doesn't mean bigger numbers. It all depends on your goals. If it's strength 5 is a bit much if you ask me. If it's hypertrophy than it could work.

New Threads