things youve done diy to save money

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
this year I saved a lot of money

example

the gf/wife hopefully soon has a 2016 bmw

she scrapped off some of the under carriage splash shield that protects the engine

View attachment 10537

we shopped around at the dealer & other repair shops estimates ranging between 500 to 650 bucks.

Dude ! thats upwards of 400 bucks, its only 14 screws !

took me an hour to swap it out on jack stands

woulda taken 20 minutes tops on a lift

wtf !

just changed out the plugs costed me 35 bucks and an hour labor

the dealer wanted 480.00

oil change 40.00 Pennzoil full synthetic

then just google how to reset the codes so its not asking for plugs and an oil change

shits ridiculous nowadays just youtube that shit and get your hands dirty, bitch !

the list goes on and on replaced a part in our clothes dryer. 15 bucks on ebay

weve got a big reach in fridge the fan motor failed 25 bucks on ebay repair guy wants 80 just to show up etc.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I do all this kind of stuff myself...it seems today nobody's dads showed them how to work on cars.. or anything for that matter. Every self respecting man ought to have a good tool set and a good wire welder....what gets me is people have houses built for them....woth that said we also live in a world where salaries are much higher than our parents made and most people can afford to have things worked on...i do things myself mainly so I know it gets done correctly

Gabriel

Reaction score
Well I used to work at BMW dealers,nicest Miami..Cars today are so over engineered and parts are thru the roof..I once quoted 7,5oo.oo to put a$13.oo gasket on an S600..
18 hours after the motor is out..

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I do all my own home and vehicle maintenance! Yeah it all takes time and I do spend a good amount of time fixing shit but it sure does save some $$$!

Which allows me to get a few toys....I'm looking at getting the family a wake/surf boat for next season! Hell yeah!!!!

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
In the process of replacing the floor in living room cause of the machine I had to buy during covid made a huge depression in it.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do all this kind of stuff myself...it seems today nobody's dads showed them how to work on cars.. or anything for that matter. Every self respecting man ought to have a good tool set and a good wire welder....what gets me is people have houses built for them....woth that said we also live in a world where salaries are much higher than our parents made and most people can afford to have things worked on...i do things myself mainly so I know it gets done correctly

shiieeeet man i guess most guys arent men just cause they cannot wire weld....well f u ck me then....thats all it took? sign me up/....

i cant wire weld, havent welded in over 20 yrs,,,, but i got s specific set of skills Uncle Sam gave me.....so give or take a tooth or 2, ill be aight.....

on the other hand since we are measureing d icks...... i can work on multi million dollar airplanes as well......and i f uck reaaaal well.....so the ladies say ;)

i do all my own tile, hard wood flooring etc.....i dont need a welder to say shit for me

and another not IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YA GREW UP.....if ur a city boy and ur 4 popped collars cool, and have a mun bun....well that speaks for itself....if ur a country boy, well that speaks for itself just as well....

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
shiieeeet man i guess most guys arent men just cause they cannot wire weld....well f u ck me then....thats all it took? sign me up/....

i cant wire weld, havent welded in over 20 yrs,,,, but i got s specific set of skills Uncle Sam gave me.....so give or take a tooth or 2, ill be aight.....

on the other hand since we are measureing d icks...... i can work on multi million dollar airplanes as well......and i f uck reaaaal well.....so the ladies say ;)

i do all my own tile, hard wood flooring etc.....i dont need a welder to say shit for me

and another not IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YA GREW UP.....if ur a city boy and ur 4 popped collars cool, and have a mun bun....well that speaks for itself....if ur a country boy, well that speaks for itself just as well....

I'm not really sure how to interpret half of what you wrote here but I assure you I don't care if you can weld or not the point I was making is that people today do not posses skills like the men and women before us because they just don't need them..and the point of having the tools is basically saying if you have these things you can learn to do whatever you want. Definitely was not a personal attack.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to interpret half of what you wrote here but I assure you I don't care if you can weld or not the point I was making is that people today do not posses skills like the men and women before us because they just don't need them..and the point of having the tools is basically saying if you have these things you can learn to do whatever you want. Definitely was not a personal attack.
Its all good but to say any self respecting man should own a wire welder..... If u dont know how, never been taught, it doesnt change someones manhood....

Now if u can weld then im always up to re-learn.....but being a man doesnt mean u can do everything, i wish i was better at math to be an engineer, that way i could roll around in all my dirty money i make hahah

On the other hand YES i agree, if u got the tools u should at least learn normal everyday man chit.....

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Maintenance and repairs on the cars. Flooring, sheet rock lil bit of plumbing. Landscape, pavers, fencing. I grew up watching my dad fix stuff and I always liked to tinker around. Mostly self taught so I’m no pro by any means but do have attention to detail on everything I do and take pride in my work. Define it how you want not looking to debate, but I feel every man should be handy.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
in the past couple years ive done a couple andriod charging port repairs.

You name it there a youtube video to fix it.

even made few of my own

this one I wound up with a gun broker dot com winning bid

was missing the tiny spring

after several reversals and reshoots ended up with this cut that has helped out some folks

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I bought a hand mirror and a scalpel from a med supply company and have saved hundreds cutting off my own hemorrhoids.

Gabriel

Reaction score
It's as I believe,not some much as where you grew up but what you've experienced and done in life...I myself have done many things as a young man.. Military,Fiber engineering,drafting,survey work(mainly cutting line),,,,but at 89 I started a career in Automotives...Not many perks,but allowed me to own cars that could not normally could not afford..This is why now I'm having to work part time...The knowledge I obtained from schools and over 30 yrs in that industry,has become most useful in unrelated fields...However,I have learned the hard way more than once...if you are trying to tackle a task beyond your knowledge or understanding,,rather than cocking it up,Gets all professional... believe me,it saves money and headaches...

New Threads