Losing motivation. Please help me.

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m a former skinny fat male, 19 years old. I’m 147 lb right now (used to be 165 in March but I went on a cut from March till august to get rid of my gut and some fat before I started bulking last month in August). I lost quite a bit of weight and 4 inches off my waist which I was very happy about.

The problem is that genetics (I have wide hips for a male and tend to store A LOT of fat on my lower gut and love handles) have made it very hard to achieve my ideal goal. I’ve been trying to bulk up since August to gain muscle mass and fill myself out after my cut.

The problem is, 1 month into my bulk (I’m clean bulking making sure to only go 300 calories over my maintenance because I’ve heard of the over bulk stories where people got fat) and I’ve gained 2 pounds (this is my monthly goal) but I’ve started to gain the fat I lost back into my gut and love handles.

Not only this but my waist has increased 1 inch, it’s like all the work I did in the past 7 months is wasted and I’m losing motivation to keep bulking/exercising. I’ve put in so much effort and I’ve followed legit strength building routines. While I have gotten stronger, aesthetically I look bad now and my gut is sticking out.

What should I do?

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
If you are gaining fat, you are eating too many calories. Also make sure that you are eating at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight if you are trying to build muscle. I had issues years ago(longer than you have been alive) with eating and not gaining muscle until i realized how important protein intake is. You wont build muscle without it and are likely gaining fat because you are replacing carbs or fat with calories that should be protein.

If you are serious about this, cut out shit like candy, cake, ice cream and the biggest problem I see in most guy/gals today, soft drinks! Simple sugars are worthless IMO and a waste of calories. Drink water

andy

Elite
Reaction score
you don't have to be motivated every day - be disciplined - it's all u need.
If You looking for something/someone to motivate u to do this you are waisting your time.
most of your close one won't give a **** about your gym life etc. If u have a support then your blest my friend - you can't want for more.

andy

Elite
Reaction score
so if you want it you will figure this out. Good luck friend!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You really are no different than anyone else. You put a little weight on and your middle went up. My weight fluctuates very little but from what I have seen with myself and others, 7 lbs= 1" around the belt line. Don't forget, there are some muscles around that midsection; erectors and abs that will grow a little. If it's not looking the way you want, alter your diet slightly.

I can only tell you how I handle the genetics and it's up to you to find your place. I have a wide hip/waist area; not so great for BBing but for PLing it lead to a respectable Squat and DL. If you're building strength like you said, how about leaning to PLing? Seeing numbers go up and up should turn that lack of motivation around if you focus on that as your goal.

You do not have to abandon looking good for PLing either. You can do both but it takes a little extra work and attention. At 19, you don't have that mature look you will have at 25 so hang in there. You are smart though to not let the belly weight get to be a problem you may have to address later on in life.

Hey, if it was easy to look good, everyone would look good. But where's the fun in being average?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
What Snake said plus this. What us your "idel" goal you have in mind? Is it realistic? For this "sport" you are a newborn. Just a fact, this is a long game not a short one. Patience and perseverance.

And to what Andy said. Motivation has nothing to do with it. It's discipline. Probably I have more days when I really don't feel like training then days when I do. Same with diet. But I know I'm not getting where I want to be without paying the rent daily.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Part of the process dude.
If you are eating in a surplus with healthy options you shouldn't put on too much shitty weight.
Be patient and don't rush things.
You will put on fat, especially as a natty, even if not. Get up to about 20-25lbs above your ideal goal weight/size and THEN cut.
Same as the bulk, slowly decrease your calories.
Slow n steady wins the race.
Good luck.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
At 147lbs? Eat clean/ Eat alot!!!!!

Reaction score
What does your training schedule look like?

If you tell us what you have been doing there are lots of guys on here who can help.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
At 147 pounds, you don't have a lot of fat. The problem is that you don't have a lot of muscle either, so you look soft. You're only 19 though, so no worries.

The rate that you are gaining weight is perfectly acceptable. Do you mind posting a few days worth of your average meals, including amounts and calories and/or macros if you track them? Be honest, there will be no judgment. If you eat crap, let us know. Small steps lead to big changes over time.

Also, share with us your training plan.

There might be a glaring problem that's easily resolved. Let's pick off the low hanging fruit there youngster.

Reactions: Jin

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You gained 2lbs and feel as though you can see it??

Geez. I could drop or gain 20lbs. and no one would notice.

New Threads