Shins hurting and bruising from jump rope

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
it’s prob cause i’m fat but anyone had this issue before? My shins hurting and bruising in a few spots from jump roping.

Today was extremely painful to get through it and shins have been hurting for a few days.

Can i just push through it? this is my favorite cardio and i actually do it.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
How many days a week are you doing it? Maybe a little rest on this while subbing in some elliptical?

Reaction score
And how long are you doing it each time, like what type of intervals? I usually only go a minute or so and take a break. I can do like 6 mins, but will need to stop a few times. My shins never hurt, but my calves will get sore for sure.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
How many days a week are you doing it? Maybe a little rest on this while subbing in some elliptical?

every time i go to the gym i do it so far has not been too long maybe a week maybe a little more

thank you they were on sale very comfy

And how long are you doing it each time, like what type of intervals? I usually only go a minute or so and take a break. I can do like 6 mins, but will need to stop a few times. My shins never hurt, but my calves will get sore for sure.

I do 30-60 jumps at a time in sets between my work outs and then do like a few sets at the end with like 30-60 second rests

Reaction score
You are doing a lot for someone who just started back with it. I'd just back off the volume a bit.

I watch the clock when I do it, and I'm not counting jumps, but I use a speed rope so I think a minute is probably like 80 or so jumps.

But I go until my calves are fatigued. And I'll usually do it 3 times during a workout. I never do it on leg day because I have had terrible doms from combining it with leg day.

I try to jump rope a few times a week, and now that I'm back in kickboxing my trainers have us doing a punishing 6 mins of it each workout.

Reaction score
I think you'll be able to build up to whatever volume you want with it if you keep at it.

I'm not that great honestly. I like it but it's not something I really try to be good at.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Oh so you're that fukkin guy at the gym jump roping....

Reactions: CJ

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Is your jump rope made a metal or something?

Wear some sweatpants while you jump rope and then do your workout?

I am planning to do jump rope for cardio myself.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
Bruising is usually broken vessels from something strenuous. Not sure your weight but could do another forms of cardio until legs can handle jumping rope.

Could try better shoes or cushion souls. Good luck

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Bruising is usually broken vessels from something strenuous. Not sure your weight but could do another forms of cardio until legs can handle jumping rope.

Could try better shoes or cushion souls. Good luck

6’1 280

Have been doing it with no shoes

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Is your jump rope made a metal or something?

Wear some sweatpants while you jump rope and then do your workout?

I am planning to do jump rope for cardio myself.

not from it hitting me from the strain

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like overuse Bobby.

Drop it until the pain subsides, then reintroduce it SLOWLY and take your time building it back up.

Like anything else, a deload or step away from it for a period of time is usually beneficial.

Oh, and if it's a pre existing condition, Obamacare is wonderful. :32 (20):

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Bruising is not good. Give it a rest for a week.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like overuse Bobby.

Drop it until the pain subsides, then reintroduce it SLOWLY and take your time building it back up.

Like anything else, a deload or step away from it for a period of time is usually beneficial.

Oh, and if it's a pre existing condition, Obamacare is wonderful. :32 (20):