Thinking of running a cycle

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of running a cycle of test to regain some lost athleticism. I'm 35 yrs old, and I'm a former competitive martial artist with designs on competing again. My last comp was 7 years ago. I'm 5'8 153lbs currently with very little body fat. Not sure on the percentage.

Before covid I was already planning a return to competition in 2020 and training like a demon. The pandemic, running a business, and 3yr old twins has taken a toll on my fitness and training. I also have hashimotos thyroiditis and take meds everyday to control TSH. My testosterone tested recently at 855, and my SHBG was 88. I believe that SHBG is quite a bit higher than normal? I'm not trying be a bodybuilder. I am trying to be a "beast" again, but I don't believe I'm interested in long term, ie years, of anabolic use. Any tips, suggestions, and knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Gabriel

Reaction score
What type of MA?.. I'm an old guy that started young in the arts.a few belts in different fields..been out of the dojo in some yrs..still miss it.. anyway,a cycle of Test and some real eating.. training MA burns a ton of cals so you might have to switch up..

Reaction score
Jiu-jitsu and muay thai mainly. I have a black belt in jiu-jitsu and have competed in grappling tournaments and fought MMA a few times. As a kid I studied Kempo and competed in point sparring and kickboxing. I was on the cusp of a pro career, training at ATT headquarters, then I blew my knee out for the third time. I'm looking to fight again. Ideally 5-6 more fights before I let go of competition for good and focus on coaching.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Rolling the dice at 35 with a mid 800 test level? And you don’t even want to be big?

I’d consider sticking with with diet and exercise. Hormones are not what’s holding you back.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you have a solid history of athleticism you won't need AAS to get it back. All you need is work, some dedication and consistency. It'll all come back to you. With your test level at a healthy level of 855 I would not risk messing that up. You don't need to take that risk! Leave it alone man.

Reaction score
Thank you! I was wondering if I was being silly thinking about running a cycle. I appreciate the honesty and not getting lambasted for my ignorance.

Reaction score
Is that SHBG level excessively high? Doesn't that effect free testosterone? Is there anything I can do about it, or should I worry about it at all? I realize the number in the test is just a snapshot in time. Am I worrying about nothing?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Seek hit the nail on the head. This Covid fcked us all up but start by building up some momentum and you’ll be on your way.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Is that SHBG level excessively high? Doesn't that effect free testosterone? Is there anything I can do about it, or should I worry about it at all? I realize the number in the test is just a snapshot in time. Am I worrying about nothing?

What's your free testosterone level? That can be checked, so no need to worry or guess.

If your Dr won't do it, get private bloodwork done if you really want to know.

But I'm 100% in aggrement with the others. Don't ruin a good thing, the grass isn't always greener.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Focus on training hard & sticking to whatever plan your have!
If your looking for a quick fix AAS isn't the answer!

Gabriel

Reaction score
Point system is so rigged sometimes..I competed heavily in the late 80's..hold a 3rd in TKD..1st in Judo..but studied around 3 or 4 others..then got into PPCT and CCC..realy love knife fighting and various weapons...Stick around man,there is so much more than talks about gear here..diet,training,..and if you decide on a cycle whenever...these guys are the greatest.. I was a runt back then..125lbs..fast as hell..now I'm trying for that 200 mark..good bit slower but without a shirt nice...