Advice please help

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
I have been going to the gym with my wife a while now. She had surgery and gained ten lbs.
she has been going to the gym 4 days a week and walking 6 to 8 miles a day.
Plus she has my fitness pal and stays way under her calories by atleast 400.
She is 5’2 144 I used to b a personal trainer n I try to explain less muscle weighs more then the fat so u are just getting tighter but she won’t believe me.

I have made her going with me my routine n don’t want her to stop because she has a lot of heart disease in her family.
Any advice how I can fast track her or convince her to keep going would be greatly appreciated.
Thx ug fam

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Emphasize and talk up all her progress in the gym, take the focus off the scale and put it on how much more fit she's getting.

Celebrate every extra rep or pound that she increases over the prior workout. Change the mindset.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You can’t it’s as simple as that, I took my woman the gym for a week and she did great. She lost 0 on the scale but a total of 10 inches on the tape measure. I tried to tell her how good it was but she came back and said there is this new online pt she meant to be amazing it’s £150 for 5 weeks. I just said you go for it love and left it there.
I don’t think I the only one I know CJ has tried and his wife would rather listen to anyone but him too.
Your fighting a losing battle, all fad diets will get her scale down for the 1st few weeks but they as soon as she comes off it the weight plus more will go back on.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Ha ha he replied too before me

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You can’t it’s as simple as that, I took my woman the gym for a week and she did great. She lost 0 on the scale but a total of 10 inches on the tape measure. I tried to tell her how good it was but she came back and said there is this new online pt she meant to be amazing it’s £150 for 5 weeks. I just said you go for it love and left it there.
I don’t think I the only one I know CJ has tried and his wife would rather listen to anyone but him too.
Your fighting a losing battle, all fad diets will get her scale down for the 1st few weeks but they as soon as she comes off it the weight plus more will go back on.

Ain't that the truth!!!!! :32 (18):

Tatlifter

Reaction score
break the scale and use the mirror.

I workout with my woman as well..(Not everyday but several days a week) the rest I'm on my own and shes on her own doing cardio parites.

She got weighed for a wellness checkup and freaked out.

I broke it down to her about muscle mass versus fat.

Women are way too obsessed with numbers on a scale.

Since working out with me she gained about 10 lbs and it did freak her out but I said flex your quads. BOOM they're poppin out and have striations she didnt have before.

It did take a lot of boasting and bragging and saying things like "you did 85lbs for 4 on bench last month now your doing 95-100"

"See you couldn't do a single unassisted pull up before now you can bust out 6 own your own"

Women are way more mental than us IME.

Stick with it, lose the scale, and YOU step up and help her not only with the program and weight or assist but also with the motivation and progress.

Write it down if you must so she can physically see where she was last week, last month, last year.

Also make sure her diet matches her program/goals/weight/etc

Good luck this is a tough one!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

You got one of those too? lol Apparently I know nothing about leaning out.

Ragin,

Like Trumpy Bear said, you're probably fuuked. But if I had to give you some advice and a glimmer of hope, I would try this. Get her to stay off the scale; yeah good luck with that. That damn scale is the say-all end-all for 90% of the women out there. My wife would chew her arm off just to say she lost 10 lbs.

Another thing you need to drive home is that she had surgery and was knocked down so there is no "Fast Track" back. I don't know the time frame the 10 lbs was added but it wasn't in a few weeks so it's not leaving in a few weeks. If she's walking that much shes burning up about 500-600 cals right there. Seems like she's doing everything right but needs time. It's much easier to lose 5 lbs of fat then to build 5 lbs of muscle, especially for a petite female so the weight training is often disregarded.

She needs to stick to the weights and add some muscle to have a healthy look. Iron1 always told me, "No use hanging ornaments from a Charlie Brown Christmas tree"

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been going to the gym with my wife a while now. She had surgery and gained ten lbs.
she has been going to the gym 4 days a week and walking 6 to 8 miles a day.
Plus she has my fitness pal and stays way under her calories by atleast 400.
She is 5’2 144 I used to b a personal trainer n I try to explain less muscle weighs more then the fat so u are just getting tighter but she won’t believe me.
I have made her going with me my routine n don’t want her to stop because she has a lot of heart disease in her family.
Any advice how I can fast track her or convince her to keep going would be greatly appreciated.
Thx ug fam

She is your wife. You can't convince her of anything.

LOL, I should have read the responses before I replied. The guys have hit it on the head. For whatever reason not matter what shape we are in ...... wives will not listen to our advice. They'd rather spend money on fad diets & bullshit.

Last edited:

lfod14

Reaction score
I try to explain less muscle weighs more then the fat so u are just getting tighter but she won’t believe me.

Also show her this lots of examples https://www.insider.com/photos-women-look-different-same-weight-2018-3

JQc9DYQ.jpg

Last edited:

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Mine is 5’3” 175lbs. Can’t even get it up for her anymore bc I’m not attracted to her. Consider yourself lucky she takes any care of her body.

Reaction score
If you can't get her off the scale, then you might try putting her on a low carb diet.
Seeing the numbers drop (even if its just water weight) should motivate her to keep working out.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
You can only encourage,
But never force!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You have no control over other people’s thoughts, actions and reactions.

If your partner is a slave to external circumstances then the best you can hope for Is that your thoughts, actions and reactions will help her to a place of health instead of a place of resentment.

Acceptance without conditions, understanding without judgement and a loving attitude are the only positive courses of action.

easier said than done. Good luck.

Reaction score
I just try to be a positive influence through my own actions, and I give positive reinforcement when she makes healthy decisions.

I only compliment and encourage the good. I never criticize.

This I have found helps. I can't change her or make her do anything, but I can definitely be a positive influence in her life.

Reactions: Jin

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
I diaches the scale and I think it was a mood. I reinforce the fact she’s tighter but she doesn’t want to hear it and she try to take her own measurements n they are just way off think she’s using her hips as waist almost crazy. I touch her everyday the fact she trying to tell me she has a 34 inch waist is insured but still gotta talk her down.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Rage do you ever proof read your spelling/writing before posting it? I can't understand what you're saying half the time bro.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
I go through the same with my fiance. Finally stopped fighting her and let her do it her own way. She is losing some weight now, but shes not hitting any of her minimum macros etc. Can't tell them anything sometimes.

New Threads