Equipment for home gym

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As the title states I am trying to put together a list of equipment for a home setup. Of course I'll be scouring FB marketplace and Craigslist for used stuff. Just ordered a Rogue 2.0 bar on sale. This setup will be for me, the wife(who wants to get pretty cut which makes me happy), and our 16 yo son. We're currently living in our 5th wheel as we got a contract on our house that wasn't even listed for sale but it's a 150% ROI for a 3 year investment so we couldn't pass it up. I want to plan for a full rack, bumper plate set, dumbell set, bench, etc and the floor we will use stall mats. Other than rogue are there any brands and styles that y'all might recommend?

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are so many options for companies, id go with prx if they wernt sold out of everything,

Everyone is on rogues nutsack anymore, there are many other companies u can purchase from that dont break the bank, ill post some other companies when i get a chance

Reaction score
Assuming your in the US. I have the Rep Pr1100 it’s like 330ish with shipping included. power rack is useful AF. For weights try to land on Walmart’s CAP brand weight set or Dicks Sporting Goods has a 300lb weight set. If you want fancy than go with ELEIKO. Brand wise for me it goes like this.... a pound is a pound. Simple. No matter how much money people spend on their equipment that wont buy you strength or fitness. Forget the brand get what you like. Rep fitness titan and rogue tend to have more stock available if you are patient and check frequently

titan fitness
rep fitness
eleiko
nybarbell

wilkinkc

Reaction score
I ended up with a Rogue power rack, Titan lat tower and Titan leg curl/extension machine. I am very happy with Titan's equipment and kind of wish I had saved the money and gone with them for the rack.

Plates I ordered from Rep fitness because they were one of the only ones with them at the time I ordered. Very happy with them though.

Charger69

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I am presently constructing a 12x16 building.
I built a power rack out of wood. Good for at least 500 lbs. I bought a set of used dB 5-75. I ordered a Rogue belt squat. I had to buy it after using one at my gym. Back no longer bothers me to work quads. I am going to build a bench- once I finish the building.
I am not sure what else to get. I would like a leg ext and leg curl, but that takes up
A lot of real estate and is probably expensive.
Barbell- prices are all over the place- I do not know which one to get. How can you tell the difference between a $150 one and a $350 one?
Someone recommended a Texas power bar ) or something like that), I am not necessarily looking for a Cadillac or something to break a world record. I don’t usually go ungodly heavy.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
I built a power rack out of wood. Good for at least 500 lbs. I bought a set of used dB 5-75. I ordered a Rogue belt squat. I had to buy it after using one at my gym. Back no longer bothers me to work quads. I am going to build a bench- once I finish the building.
I am not sure what else to get. I would like a leg ext and leg curl, but that takes up
A lot of real estate and is probably expensive.
Barbell- prices are all over the place- I do not know which one to get. How can you tell the difference between a $150 one and a $350 one?
Someone recommended a Texas power bar ) or something like that), I am not necessarily looking for a Cadillac or something to break a world record. I don’t usually go ungodly heavy.

check out titan fitness leg curl/extension machine. I thought it was pretty well priced. It does use plates instead of a weight stack but if you have plates anyways no worries.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/...ated-leg-curl-/-extension-machine/400595.html

Reaction score

For the barbell, depends on your budget and what your mainly doing. A traditional 45lb barbell is the minimum. A barbell is a barbell but there are convenience factors like the knurl and the whip on the bar. With the prices of everything going on right now I am just using the barbell my weight set came with and it’s working amazing for me.

As long as the bar is Olympic I don’t care about that other stuff.

what else to get? My next purchase is going to be a versatile pulley machine for cable exercises. I would love a leg curl/ext but I’ll just isolate those muscles on the rack for now.

Charger69

Reaction score
I heard that there will be more 24 hour closing in the near future. If so, prices should drop soon.

dreamscraper

Reaction score
I can't imagine what a full dumbbell set is running right now. I just view my home gym as an extension of my cheap commercial gym membership and I get stuff that they don't have or I don't like at the gym.

This binary view that you build a home gym as to never go to the gym outside your house is crazy to me. There is just no better piece of gear for the price as an addition to your home gym than a gym membership. I think a home gym is like a baseball card collection or record collection too. It is never complete. Starting with a power rack, bar and plates is good then add slowly. Adding a new piece of gear to your gym is so stimulating I don't think it makes sense to do that all at once anyway.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine what a full dumbbell set is running right now. I just view my home gym as an extension of my cheap commercial gym membership and I get stuff that they don't have or I don't like at the gym.

This binary view that you build a home gym as to never go to the gym outside your house is crazy to me. There is just no better piece of gear for the price as an addition to your home gym than a gym membership. I think a home gym is like a baseball card collection or record collection too. It is never complete. Starting with a power rack, bar and plates is good then add slowly. Adding a new piece of gear to your gym is so stimulating I don't think it makes sense to do that all at once anyway.

I live in BFE and the nearest gym is about 30 minutes from the house and kinda pricey. I'm more than happy to spend the money to acquire the basics and build from there so that when i get up in the morning and go to workout it's just a few steps away.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
Do you have one?

yeah I have it and one of their lat towers with the low pull. I like both pieces and would buy them again. Assembly was pretty easy but I’m also pretty good with building things.

New Threads