What are you 3 best chest movements for adding size

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been doing flat bench press (BB) .. inclined bench press (DB) ... fly machine ....

I understand that at 54 years old I'm never going to bench 500 lbs (not my goal).

I would like to build chest mass.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Incline db
cable chest press (seated)
Hammer strength decline press

bonus- dips done at the sweet spot for chest

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Incline BB 3-7 rep range
10 degree bench( flat bench with one end on a box while In a power rack
BB bench doing heavy sets of 8’s

Those are my tried and true mass builders.. Didn’t hurt the strength area either to mix up the angles. I am a barbell guy though

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
For mass, bench, then inclines then declines. All bar work.

Now if injury and age have got the better of ya, I got that covered too. Cable cross overs super settled with bench: 12 reps

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I move my grip width around on flat and incline bench. I found weighted dips after all bar work added mass on me...

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
I have no input really. But I am super glad you started this thread. All these accomplished OG's posting gives me ideas for my next plan. Thanks Man!

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sure glad to finally read all these good answers,ive always had trouble figuring out which rep ranges would be the best

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Incline bench,flat bench,push ups!!!

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
BB Bench Press
DB Incline Bench Press
Deficit Push Up on blocks

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I have been doing flat bench press (BB) .. inclined bench press (DB) ... fly machine ....

I understand that at 54 years old I'm never going to bench 500 lbs (not my goal).

I would like to build chest mass.

You might be able to tone up but building chest mass like a 20sonething might be unobtainable at 55. Focus on toning instead.

dreamscraper

Reaction score
Training for sports or performance is complicated, training for hypertrophy is just not.
You create damage and then you repair that damage through sleep and nutrition. The method of creating that damage is just not that important relative to the sleep and nutrition part, especially at 54.
I mean are you going to try to bulk at 54? It is going to be tough if not.
Exercise wise I would have said incline barbell easy 20 years ago but I think a combination of shoulder mobility/issues and I don't really like the incline benches at my gym now makes me pick dumbbell incline all day. I do three week waves through 3 different positions. Probably like 20, 35-40, 50-55ish degrees for the incline.
I love cable work since the advent of the arm machine that gyms have now for cables instead of taking up 2 spots on the older style cable machine.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the killer info!

I'm curious how many sets you do for most mass on bench ... my workout goes from 2 sets ... 8 to 11 reps in week 1 ... to 3 sets for weeks 2 & 3 (4 to 7 reps - heavier weight) .. then 4 sets in week 4 - 8 to 11 reps and then weeks 5 & 6 are 5 sets ... 4 to 7 reps ...

Also do you guys switch up the order ... Incline bench 1st some days ... then flat bench ... or always flat and then include ...

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Flat and incline bench presses and dips. That is all you need. There are many fancy ways to do them but in the end, do a variation of these 3 and you will grow. If you don't, eat more protein and add more calories.

An OG mass builder for chest is old school pushups. Crank out 100-200 pushups a few times per week and your chest will hate you. IF you think that it wont work, check out felons who get released from the pen. Pushups and pullups but look like they been training in the gym.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Flat and incline bench presses and dips. That is all you need. There are many fancy ways to do them but in the end, do a variation of these 3 and you will grow. If you don't, eat more protein and add more calories.

An OG mass builder for chest is old school pushups. Crank out 100-200 pushups a few times per week and your chest will hate you. IF you think that it wont work, check out felons who get released from the pen. Pushups and pullups but look like they been training in the gym.

Yes the guys in the pen are almost always as big or bigger than most BBers

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not too far behind ya in the age department, I rarely actually use BB for chest anymore.

I do use BB incline, but that's about it. I typically will with use DB's or machines to protect my shoulder. It keeps me moving forward, so I let go of my pride in the situation. What I ended up finding out is if done correctly, I can get a better burn/pump/isolation of the chest when using these machines and some cable work afterwards.

My gym has the hammer strength machines, and my two personal favorites for this are decline and wide grip, especially the wide grip. I actually will hit the wide grip twice on a chest day. The first time I will use the machine normally which does a great job of isolating those pecs. After a couple of other movements I'll go back to it with reduced weight and turn sideways in the seat, one arm at a time. Afterwards, I'll use a low cable with a low weight to hammer those pecs with a fly-type movement that I can't seem to find anywhere on google images. It's hard to explain but let's start on right side...I start with the cable low to the outside of my body and the end of the movement is with the cable high to the inside. This the BB'ing equivalent of a Mortal Kombat finishing move on your pecs.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Standing calf raises. People say I am doing them wrong if feel them in my chest just but fuk form and FUK them!

New Threads