Macronutrients & Nutrition Tracking

wilkinkc

Reaction score
Macronutrient Intake

Your body has minimum proteins and fats it needs.

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Your body has no requirements for carbs; some people do better with higher carb intake and some do better with moderate/low carb intake.

Macronutrient Caloric Value

Protein - 1gram = 4 calories
Carb - 1gram = 4 calories
Fat - 1gram = 9 calories
This may help when figuring your diets.

Fiber

Recommendation for fiber:
Average male: 38 gram per day
Average female: 25 gram per day

Nutrition Tracking

There are many free websites and apps available. Here are some of the more popular ones:

MyFitnessPal
FitDay
Cron-o-meter
LoseIt

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
How did you come up with these minimums.... I haven’t had fats close to that high in a while and all of my cholesterol markers are the best they’ve even been.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
Google. An average of several websites. Cleveland clinic. MacrosInc. LiveStrong. Etc

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
So are you saying 1 gram of protein is 4 calories across all food? A gram of beef is going to have more cals than a gram of chicken and so on at least I think I'm right I could be talking out of my ass tho too

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
No I’m saying a gram of PROTEIN is 4 calories. A gram of beef is not going to be 100% protein

Ok sure but let's say you have a gram of pure protein from beef and a gram of pure protein from chicken they will amount to the same calories? I truly don't know thats why I'm curious

Also could you post some links on this

wilkinkc

Reaction score
No problem bro. I did not post this to try and say anyone was doing anything wrong, nor that I know everything. That is why I took info from several different sites as an average. Was just trying to make a contribution to the boards and maybe help someone out.

Last edited:

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
No problem bro. I did not post this to try and say anyone was doing anything wrong, nor that I know everything. That is why I took info from servers different sites as an average. Was just trying to make a contribution to the boards and maybe help someone out.

And its much appreciated...we need new guys like you! Your post was totally fine!

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Google. An average of several websites. Cleveland clinic. MacrosInc. LiveStrong. Etc

for gen pop it might make sense for a recommendation as modern nutrition tries to limit people’s carb consumption, but for any “athletic” endeavors I think it’s a crappy suggestion.

robdjents- gram of protein not gram of meat. 112grams of chicken breast = 24g protein = 96calories from protein (then the rest of the calories are from the tiny amount of fat in chicken breast)

Last edited:

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I see no problem with this breakdown. My protein would always be calculated anywhere from 1 gram to 2 grams depending on my AAS blasts and selecttion of compounds being used.

My fats would also be anywhere from 0.4 to 0.6 depending on my selection of foods. Which would leave me with my balance of carb calculations.

I have used similar very effectively.

Its a well known formula and used widely. I approve

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Macronutrient Intake

Your body has minimum proteins and fats it needs.

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

This info is false.

Your protein "minimum" is actually the suggest minimum for those who are in athletics, where muscle breakdown/synthesis balance has higher requirements.

You fat minimum is also flawed. An obese individual could go for a long time living off of stored body fat.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
I listed the protein at that because most of the ones reading this will be doing resistance training.

The fat, I agree an obese person could live on their own fat for a long time but they would eventually hit a point where their body could not function properly without fat intake. There are several health risks you may encounter.

https://www.eatthis.com/why-you-should-eat-fat/

a lot of them are subjective but the hormone imbalance one is the main one

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Ok sure but let's say you have a gram of pure protein from beef and a gram of pure protein from chicken they will amount to the same calories? I truly don't know thats why I'm curious

Also could you post some links on this

Hey Rob,

What weighs more?
A pound of feathers
A pound of bricks?

;)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

What weighs more?
A pound of feathers
A pound of bricks?

;)

Everyone knows bricks are heavier than feathers Jin. Don't be a dummy!!! :32 (20):

Reactions: DF

lfod14

Reaction score
This info is false.

Your protein "minimum" is actually the suggest minimum for those who are in athletics, where muscle breakdown/synthesis balance has higher requirements.

You fat minimum is also flawed. An obese individual could go for a long time living off of stored body fat.

That's true but also the minority, plus, I don't think it effects our cholesterol the same when we burn stored fat. I could be wrong on this but when I was in the process of loosing 100lbs and eating keto, so nearly completely powered by fat my cholesterol numbers sucked ass, but when fat loss slowed down and it was just my dietary fat being way up they were perfect. I don't (think) we get the good of cholesterol when it's going from storage to burn like we do when we're just processing it as food.

lfod14

Reaction score
How did you come up with these minimums.... I haven’t had fats close to that high in a while and all of my cholesterol markers are the best they’ve even been.

What is yours if you don't mind me asking? I've dropped my fats from around 150-175g down to ~80 for the last couple months and now my cholesterol is literally low at 120, now I'm trying to get it back up. I've also noticed it much harder to at weight at the gym in near the same time period, I know those are connected. I've been old school eggs all day lately.

dreamscraper

Reaction score
These are all just heuristics. Like this study:
" Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period."

If you actually look at this study though:

"Experiments were performed on six elite bodybuilders, six elite endurance athletes, and six sedentary controls during a 10-day"

So take 6 random people on this board and study things for 10 days, all you are really measuring in the data is our genetic differences. Not to mention how would you control for me sitting at an office job all day vs if someone in the experiment is a bricklayer working overtime?

There is no science in any of these studies. These are all nonsense. To really study this we would need like 500 sets of twins that are chained to a bed all day and let out only to lift weights. At the end of the study everyone is killed and we dissect their muscles to collect proper data. Maybe that would work but maybe 500 sets is still not enough. These protein studies have to be done by morons really. There is no other way to explain why someone would waste their time using 18 samples for 10 days. They are some of the most perfect examples of scientism. Scientism, defined as the inappropriate emulation of the perceived methods of the natural sciences.

IMO every study in this area I have looked at should be considered a type of academic fraud.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
These are all just heuristics. Like this study:
" Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period."

If you actually look at this study though:

"Experiments were performed on six elite bodybuilders, six elite endurance athletes, and six sedentary controls during a 10-day"

So take 6 random people on this board and study things for 10 days, all you are really measuring in the data is our genetic differences. Not to mention how would you control for me sitting at an office job all day vs if someone in the experiment is a bricklayer working overtime?

There is no science in any of these studies. These are all nonsense. To really study this we would need like 500 sets of twins that are chained to a bed all day and let out only to lift weights. At the end of the study everyone is killed and we dissect their muscles to collect proper data. Maybe that would work but maybe 500 sets is still not enough. These protein studies have to be done by morons really. There is no other way to explain why someone would waste their time using 18 samples for 10 days. They are some of the most perfect examples of scientism. Scientism, defined as the inappropriate emulation of the perceived methods of the natural sciences.

IMO every study in this area I have looked at should be considered a type of academic fraud.

Like I stated, it's the consensus SUGGESTED minimums for the group I stated. Not requirements for everyone, as the OP claimed.

New Threads