Protein Farts

Reaction score
Bros and Brodette’s,

I drink whey protein. Get the 5 pound bag of vanilla from Costco also buy the chocolate premiere protein case they sell there and switch it around depends on my mood.

but regardless with eating and drinking a lot of protein, I get gassy. It also makes me feel bloated sometimes. Anyone dealt with these issues? Is it just me? Wrong protein? What are you drinking? How do you sustain in your own farts?

thanks

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I get gassy but never from my protein shakes. ON I’ve never had any issues.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Gas bloat is kind of common with certain brands of whey protein.

I first used ON and did not get it. Then tried Now Sports, bad gas bloat. Now using Muscle Feast and never get it.

Reaction score
Yes it happens to me. I just try to get as much protein as I can from real foods and keep whey to a minimum. That being said, I'm probably still getting 40-60g protein a day on average from whey.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
if you are getting gassy you arent digesting it well. Assuming what you are using is not, Switch to a 100% whey isolate and that should help, pretty common to struggle with digesting whey concentrate.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Brock hit the nail on the head. Some (a lot) get gassy due to poor digestion. Work on your gut health, get a nic isolate and see if that helps. if not, look for a whole food protein source.

Also, the premier protein at costco (at least the ready to drink ones) are milk protein, not whey.

Reaction score
What Brock said about isolate. I had BRUTAL room clearing gas with regular whey. Switched to isolate all good now.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
The one that gave me wicked gas bloat was:

Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate - Chocolate

I have always used isolate.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Brock hit the nail on the head. Some (a lot) get gassy due to poor digestion. Work on your gut health, get a nic isolate and see if that helps. if not, look for a whole food protein source.

Also, the premier protein at costco (at least the ready to drink ones) are milk protein, not whey.

I always have a case of those premier proteins in my garage fridge. They are actually damn good. Good profile too! Low sugar, 30 grams protein. And yes, Milk Protein Concentrate which i find pretty good because they do have a high mpc level and low lactose. Being low lactose i wouldn't think its the cause for op's cause for gas.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I love when I get super gasy especially when they are silent and smell really bad. I go into the room my wife is in and I drop the bomb and just wait until it hits her for some reason that really makes me feel good.

Sorry if TMI.

Reaction score
I always have a case of those premier proteins in my garage fridge. They are actually damn good. Good profile too! Low sugar, 30 grams protein. And yes, Milk Protein Concentrate which i find pretty good because they do have a high mpc level and low lactose. Being low lactose i wouldn't think its the cause for op's cause for gas.

yeah, I like Vanilla because I can mix in different flavor variations like pb one day strawberry next or something. The premiere are pretty good but man I was letting off last night

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I’m going to see about getting Isolate and seeing if that helps, i usually wouldn’t care about the gass but I’ve been doing some post work out cardio by the park next to my house and even after a few hours the bloated lingers. It’s not a good feeling to feel bloated and run. Thing is the smell varies on what I eat as well that day but their not always potent like that.

maybe it is my gut health too, how do you even start to fix that? I’m gonna pick up some Metamucil and try more fiber and see if that helps.

thanks for all the info.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
maybe it is my gut health too, how do you even start to fix that? I’m gonna pick up some Metamucil and try more fiber and see if that helps.

thanks for all the info.

It's still a new area of research, but they say to eat a wide variety of pro and pre biotic foods. It also apparently has to be pretty consistent, or else your gut flora reverts back fairly soon.

Look for fermented foods, such as Kimchi (sort of like Korean spicy cabbage. Should be in jars in produce section), REAL sauerkraut (no preservatives in it, such as sodium benzoate. Look for just cabbage and salt in the ingredients), REAL yogurt (not the glorified candy they market to children. If you want flavor, add fresh berries to plain yogurt), and Kefir (a cultured dairy drink. On this, ABSOLUTELY get the flavored version, as plain is just fukkin nasty).

Thsose will give you a good variety of hopefully beneficial pro biotics, and if you eat a wide variety of veggies you'll be giving them the pre biotic food they need.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Kimchi!!!!!!!

Natto is also excellent for gut health. Good luck.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Everything gives me gas. Even being on an empty stomach.

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with ON, but ran into this when I switched to try something new. Bad bloating and gas. I would take a few bromelain with it and that did the trick for me until I finished the tub. Didn't want to keep doing that so I switched to an isolate and have not had the problem again.

Reaction score
The one that gave me wicked gas bloat was:

Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate - Chocolate

I have always used isolate.

I have this now. Bought a 10lb bag on Amazon for 80 bucks. Its worse than old school cardboard box tasting protein

New Threads