Advice for someone who doesnt like fish

Reaction score
So basically I cant stand the "fish" taste. I have tried whiter fish such as halibut and can get it down, but it is defiantly not my favorite. I am trying to clean up my diet to aid in loosing a few more pounds and really wish I did like fish instead of relying on chicken so much. Does anyone know of ways to cook or season certain fish so it do not have much of a "fishy" taste? I have heard soaking it in buttermilk helps...anyone tried this? I do take a fish oil and multi to help gain some omega, vitamin, and minerals I am missing out on by not including it in my diet. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
if you are jsut after low fat protein sources my advice would be to stick to chicken, 99% lean ground turkey and maybe some 96% lean ground beef. fish certainly isn't necessary

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I got this!

Use some trout but any fish will do. Put the fish in a plastic bad with Bay seasoning. Add some pepper and garlic. Place in the refrigerator for 2 days on an oak cutting board. Remove after 2 days, heat grill to 350 degrees. Place cutting board on grill and throw out the fish.

Fuuk fish! Don't eat something that swims in and drinks it own piss and shit.

No charge!

SHRUGS

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fresh caught bluegills or walleye in a pan with coconut oil and some light seasoning is always great with no fishy taste. The walleyes I catch in winter through the ice are amazing for clean taste.
!S!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't have to eat fish but if you're interested Tilapia is called the chicken of the sea. Very mild fish in taste. Its a white fish

wilkinkc

Reaction score
I’m with the guys, if you don’t like it don’t eat it. Get a supplement for the oil. Soaking fish in milk does seem to take away some of the fish taste, but I would only do that with white fish like tilapia etc. There is a brown sugar (and salt I think?) dry brine you can make for salmon that takes a lot of the fish taste out as well. Makes it nice for the smoker. But bottom line if you don’t like fish don’t eat it. Dieting sucks enough without actually eating food you don’t even like.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am not meaning to imply that I need it, was just thinking it would be nice to give me a few more options as there is so many fish choices and different ways to cook it if I knew of possibly a better way than I have tried. Brock, thanks for the ideas...I could always add in some more turkey. Snake...at least they are good for the fun of fishing! I always get weird looks when people find out I fish as much as I do but don't eat any of it. Thanks again

wilkinkc

Reaction score
Fresh caught bluegills or walleye in a pan with coconut oil and some light seasoning is always great with no fishy taste. The walleyes I catch in winter through the ice are amazing for clean taste.
!S!

Hell yeah man, walleye best fish there is. Crappie a strong 2nd, that’s what I mainly fish for.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Ahi, Mahi, Cod, Flounder, Salmon all can be seasoned well and blackened/flash fried and you’ll barely get an aftertaste if at all.

Hot skillet primed with a tsp of EVOO, and season the fish with adobo and thyme, A bit of lemon if you want. You can go all out with other seasoning, but those 2 are golden IMO.

A homemade Artichoke and sun-dried tomato sauce or Garlic-Parmesan white sauce is always a great way to go too.

High grade sushi is the best though...

Reaction score
I’m with the guys, if you don’t like it don’t eat it. Get a supplement for the oil. Soaking fish in milk does seem to take away some of the fish taste, but I would only do that with white fish like tilapia etc. There is a brown sugar (and salt I think?) dry brine you can make for salmon that takes a lot of the fish taste out as well. Makes it nice for the smoker. But bottom line if you don’t like fish don’t eat it. Dieting sucks enough without actually eating food you don’t even like.

Wilkinkc,
what kind of wood do you use for that in your smoker? Also suggestion on temp? I have not tried smoked fish in a long time, but enjoy smoking and could give it a try.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Big fan of panko breaded cod. Not fishy at all.
Snake... lmfao

DOOM

Reaction score
I love fish but I haven’t consumed any in 10 years.

Just for record one ounce of hemp seeds has more omega 3’s then one ounce of salmon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Doom. I have been using flax, but if I’m not mistaken hemp seed has higher protein correct? Do you prefer hemp over flax? If so, reasons?

DOOM

Reaction score
Thanks Doom. I have been using flax, but if I’m not mistaken hemp seed has higher protein correct? Do you prefer hemp over flax? If so, reasons?

They are both comparable as oils. I prefer hemp seeds over flax seeds. They taste better and have more protein. Flax seeds are kinda bitter and they get stuck in your teeth!

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im with snake on this one fuxxx fish, cant even eat canned or packaged tuna i puke my guts out, like going fishing just cannot stomach that crap any more, when i was a kid i ate it a lot, but its gross, fish oils etc for me

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I love fish but I haven’t consumed any in 10 years.

Just for record one ounce of hemp seeds has more omega 3’s then one ounce of salmon.

But it's ALA, so there's less absorption/bioavaliability from my understanding.

Nothing wrong with that, but since the OP isn't vegetarian, I'd say the best bet is to use fish oil or similar most of the time.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Also, cod loins sprinkled with lemon pepper seasoning works for my kids.

Might be work trying.

I like wild caught salmon sprinkled with fresh rosemary. Farm raised salmon will be more "fishy tasting", so you might not like that kind.