2 muscle groups per day training

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Lately I have been doing 2 muscle groups and 12 minute cardio per work out.

Today for example I did back and shoulders

5 shoulder workouts
1 half back half rear delt so good for both
3 back
3 traps

all 3 sets 10-15 reps

I feel like i fell short on the back i think should of done one more back workout.

Im trying to do 2 muscle groups per day to keep my heart rate up and to constantly be moving and sweating to drop weight.

Any suggestions or experiences with this strategy? I guess my goal is keep growing muscle but to lose fat have been keeping my diet pretty good and almost all sugar cut out besides my morning and afternoon coffee.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Are your 3 sets of each actually 3 working sets?
Are you going to failure on at least the last set?
Might be your choice of back exercises as well.
I personally think back needs its own day, or at least should be paired with biceps with back being the major focus.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Are your 3 sets of each actually 3 working sets?
Are you going to failure on at least the last set?
Might be your choice of back exercises as well.
I personally think back needs its own day, or at least should be paired with biceps with back being the major focus.

Yeah always focus on getting quality for each rep as much as I can I was doing back and chest on solo days for a while I have the mass there just need to shed the fat so it starts looking good.

Even started doing legs and crunches.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I would be doing a smith machine sit over head press do my reps then jump to cable shoulder flys so I do 2 work outs at one time constantly with little breaks when needed.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Personnaly I do my shoulders on back and chest day just split between the 2. Side delts Both days, front with chest rear with back. Always at the end of the work out

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Whatever works for you? As long as you're training hard & keeping the muscles confused!
Different things work for different people!!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You could try alternating exercises, set for set. It'll keep you moving, but give you better rest between sets for the same exercise. Let me give you an example...

Sat hypothetically you're doing 5 exercises each of back and shoulders.

First pairing group could be something like barbell rows and barbell overhead press. So....

Set of rows, then rest 1:00
Set of presses, then rest 1:00
Set of rows, rest 1:00
Set of presses, rest 1:00
Set of presses.

Move on to the next pairing of exercises, and so on.

You'll pretty much be constantly moving, but you'll have over 2:00 of rest before you hit any specific exercise again.

It'll get your work capacity up, and maximize your time in the gym.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with Gibz. Back is complicated enough like legs to do on their own days.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ill get chest, back, shoulders, and legs a day of their primary focus and will throw some arms either supersetted with them towards the end since they are already getting worked, occasionally will do a day for just arms when not doing any other lifting after the main ones.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Personnaly I do my shoulders on back and chest day just split between the 2. Side delts Both days, front with chest rear with back. Always at the end of the work out

You could try alternating exercises, set for set. It'll keep you moving, but give you better rest between sets for the same exercise. Let me give you an example...

Sat hypothetically you're doing 5 exercises each of back and shoulders.

First pairing group could be something like barbell rows and barbell overhead press. So....

Set of rows, then rest 1:00
Set of presses, then rest 1:00
Set of presses, rest 1:00
Set of presses.

Move on to the next pairing of exercises, and so on.

You'll pretty much be constantly moving, but you'll have over 2:00 of rest before you hit any specific exercise again.

It'll get your work capacity up, and maximize your time in the gym.

I like both of these will try this out in the upcoming weeks thanks

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
ill get chest, back, shoulders, and legs a day of their primary focus and will throw some arms either supersetted with them towards the end since they are already getting worked, occasionally will do a day for just arms when not doing any other lifting after the main ones.

That’s what I have been doing for a while pretty much but it does not get my heart rate up enough to where I feel i’m burning fat

Have too much rest when just doing one muscle group will start this again once i reach my goal no particular weight just from the eye view.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That’s what I have been doing for a while pretty much but it does not get my heart rate up enough to where I feel i’m burning fat

Have too much rest when just doing one muscle group will start this again once i reach my goal no particular weight just from the eye view.

Hitting the weights should be about building muscle, not losing fat.

Diet and daily activity should primarily be what you use to lower bodyfat.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Muscle Now routine puts back and shoulders together on the same day with the idea of being able to work each muscle group 2 times per week ... on a 5 day split ...

I agree with CJ ... fat is about overall calorie utilization and determined 80% or more by diet ... I believe that muscle is also 80% determined by nutrition as most people even those putting in the time in the gym are not getting enough protein ... lets be honest getting 200 grams daily or more of protein takes planning ... many guys are 30% to 50% deficient in protein which makes building muscle impossible ...

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Congrats on posting something related to the Forum instead of the garbage u normally post.....

I would go get a trainer, let him or her teach you the proper way of training. Once you have a few months of working out on a consistent basis u should be ready for some advanced tips from the SI members.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I'll echo on a few others who have mentioned this already.

Back is a huge group of muscles and should have its own day. I do anywhere from 16-20 sets of back exercises in my workout.

I do typically get 4-5 sets of some type of bicep work in because my biceps are already fatigued and I try to capitalize on it.

There are days were I just don't have it in the tank to add biceps though.

IMO, if you work your back properly, you should be as worn out or more than a solid leg day.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
maybe im remembering poorly but truth be told at your level of development a simple upper lower split would work really good for you. pick 1-2 exercises per body part (compound movements skip the chest fly and rear delt raise bs) warm up and do 2 sets of varying rep ranges to all out failure. focus on getting stronger week to week and you will make great progress. Once you have a new level of development that warrants more work per body part then adjust to your needs. Really 80% of gym goers should be doing this type of split. You are not a high level bodybuilder nor do you need the amount of work per bodypart that they need.

Now to burn more fat have some fun on the stairmaster. Working out with weights is a crappy way to try to burn fat.

Last edited:

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Congrats on posting something related to the Forum instead of the garbage u normally post.....

I would go get a trainer, let him or her teach you the proper way of training. Once you have a few months of working out on a consistent basis u should be ready for some advanced tips from the SI members.

I have been working out for almost 3 years now why would I waste money on a trainer when I can learn anything I need on youtube.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
who you watching on YouTube at your level? I watch Seth feroce all the time but I ain’t at that level to train like him

I have been working out for almost 3 years now why would I waste money on a trainer when I can learn anything I need on youtube.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
who you watching on YouTube at your level? I watch Seth feroce all the time but I ain’t at that level to train like him

I'm up to Richard Simmons level. :32 (20):

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score

The most helpful for me was really Muscle Monsters. Learned how to do shit properly and what work outs they have a lot of good stuff especially after my fist year when I knew I was going to be in for the long haul. They just explained and showed shit so I understood.