Nodular Melanoma

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
This could save your life so take some time and read it!

I spend a fair amount of time in the sun and love the tan Body Building look in the summer. I know it's not the healthiest thing to do but it is what it is. I try not to be oblivious to the fact that even though I have skin type of 4, skin cancer can rear it's ugly head. Therefore, I hit the Dermatologist every year. Sure, and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but choosing neither equals a bad ending.

A few weeks ago I had what I thought was a pimple on my back. I'm not one to break out on my back. I'm currently on my TRT and my back never breaks out even on cycle. Gave it a few weeks and it didn't go away so I called my Derma and was in the office 2 days later. They had a look, cut it out and said it appears to be a cyst but will send it to pathology just to be sure.

I got the results back from pathology and it was just a small cyst. What was disturbing was I mentioned to the Doc that I was in 4 months earlier and even though I know melanoma can more quicker than other skin cancers, my annual check-up should have me catching things early, right? He said yes and no. Although they catch most skin cancers early between visits, melanomas move faster than most. He said one of the most dangerous melanomas is called Nodular Melanoma. It doesn't follow the typical skin cancer rules. He said it's raised, relatively small in size, it may be black, brown, red or even normal skin color and easily mistake for a cyst when red or skin color. According to him, this cancer moves vertically through the skin profile and progresses to other parts of the body rapidly.

The real kicker came when he said how quickly this type of skin cancer can develop. You can go from nothing to a problem in 6 weeks. He said the best results are for it to be removed in a week after it appears. I research everything. I found out that nodular melanoma makes up only 15% of the melanoma diagnoses but is responsible for 50% of the melanoma deaths.

Below is a picture of a Nodular Melanoma. Doesn't look all that concerning does it?

LArw-UfIDMUVLzEjbAd144Hl8JCyObu-7iVoBQEzCQJAYNBWeb76bytvBRV9hwvFZ--pii5lFCVtORQ

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I tan as well so know about the risks involved. Glad you posted that. If I saw something like that I would have brushed it off as a pimple (I won't now)

andy

Elite
Reaction score
when this happened to you snake and what's the update at this moment did u get it out and is everything ok now ?

looks like a simple pimple .. yeah, this is crazy

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
when this happened to you snake and what's the update at this moment did u get it out and is everything ok now ?

looks like a simple pimple .. yeah, this is crazy

I got the results back from pathology and it was just a small cyst.

That pic was not mine, just an example.

Tatlifter

Reaction score
Wow, Interesting and helpful to all of us I'm sure.

Crazy to think it's only 15% of melanoma cancers but 50% of melanoma deaths and I've never even heard of Nodular Melanoma...Thank you

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I am pretty much anti sun, always been that way really. As you know I went through a bout with an aggressive form of skin cancer and had a large chunk cut out also needing a skin graft to cover the wound.
Point being, you never ****ing know what is what on your skin. Several drs looked at that spot and said it was nothing.
Get your skin issues checked by a dermatologist

wilkinkc

Reaction score
Thanks man. I’m in the sun a lot on spring and early summer fishing. Looking myself over right now

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I don't see the picture so I looked it up on google.

Thanks, I can't see it either, thought it was something at my end somehow.

Snake, valuable service you're offering there. Part of my abuse of my health insurance is I practically have a Dermatolgist on retainer ... I grow more shit than an Iowa farmer. Mostly what the doc calls pre-cancers, but a few Basal and Squamous now and then. Always knew Melanoma was the worst, never had it so far, and scary to learn there's a "super melanoma" possibility. A previous Dermatologist told me another nasty thing once ... too much sun exposure can trigger a skin cancer elsewhere on parts of you that are never uncovered. I don't lay out to tan wearing just a bandaid, but I get a lot of sunlight all year long in gym shorts and a tee, so I have a lot of potential surprises. Trying to put all my doctor's kids through college, one lesion at a time.

#Lily White Lives Matter

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Dear Uncle Snake,

I already had an appointment Monday for my psoriasis management. Be sure I am bringing this up. My doc is going to see me in all of my lack of glory. Scary stuff.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Dear Uncle Snake,

I already had an appointment Monday for my psoriasis management. Be sure I am bringing this up. My doc is going to see me in all of my lack of glory. Scary stuff.

Stay on top of it; largest organ of the human body.

This last visit of mine was a , "I'll take whom ever" but my normal Doc is a female. OMG, she's sweet with 3 E's, drop dead gorgeous!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
A previous Dermatologist told me another nasty thing once ... too much sun exposure can trigger a skin cancer elsewhere on parts of you that are never uncovered......
Yeah this is one of them. They can show up on the bottom of your feet!

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I once had something pop up on my head, thought it was squamous cell, got it chopped off and it turned out to be a tumor of unknown origin... very random, it was big in 3 days. Had me sweating since I’ve had basal cell multiple times.

Those of you with a PPO plan, doctor shop for a hot dermatologist and let her have at it a couple times a year!

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had cysts start forming right after BMT, and each time they said oh those are just fatty tumours, but they continue to grow and its scary shit, got them on my chest, forearms, and legs, have 1 that formed in my left forearm a few yrs ago and they hurt, also now have one in my lower left bicep, i guess i need to have some one competent check them out because they keep showing up

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Those of you with a PPO plan, doctor shop for a hot dermatologist and let her have at it a couple times a year!

Give yourself a 12 week contest prep first, don't go in during the middle of a bulk! :32 (18):

Here's what got me back into fitness.... Mid 20's, I was a chubby mess, Dr asks if I mind if a medical student comes in to observe during my physical. Sure, I said.

Turns out to be one of the hottest little brunettes I've ever seen I'm my ife, and I'm standing there butt naked looking like like a human slug.

I bet she quit school after seeing that disaster! :32 (7):

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I have to admit that I don't really check my skin but I probably should. I'm also not one to go tan or sit out in the sun for extended periods.

New Threads