Thanks
    Thanked 12,773 Times in 5,315 Posts

Nodular Melanoma

This could save your life so take some time and read it!

I spend a fair amount of time in the sun and love the tan Body Building look in the summer. I know it's not the healthiest thing to do but it is what it is. I try not to be oblivious to the fact that even though I have skin type of 4, skin cancer can rear it's ugly head. Therefore, I hit the Dermatologist every year. Sure, and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but choosing neither equals a bad ending.

A few weeks ago I had what I thought was a pimple on my back. I'm not one to break out on my back. I'm currently on my TRT and my back never breaks out even on cycle. Gave it a few weeks and it didn't go away so I called my Derma and was in the office 2 days later. They had a look, cut it out and said it appears to be a cyst but will send it to pathology just to be sure.

I got the results back from pathology and it was just a small cyst. What was disturbing was I mentioned to the Doc that I was in 4 months earlier and even though I know melanoma can more quicker than other skin cancers, my annual check-up should have me catching things early, right? He said yes and no. Although they catch most skin cancers early between visits, melanomas move faster than most. He said one of the most dangerous melanomas is called Nodular Melanoma. It doesn't follow the typical skin cancer rules. He said it's raised, relatively small in size, it may be black, brown, red or even normal skin color and easily mistake for a cyst when red or skin color. According to him, this cancer moves vertically through the skin profile and progresses to other parts of the body rapidly.

The real kicker came when he said how quickly this type of skin cancer can develop. You can go from nothing to a problem in 6 weeks. He said the best results are for it to be removed in a week after it appears. I research everything. I found out that nodular melanoma makes up only 15% of the melanoma diagnoses but is responsible for 50% of the melanoma deaths.

Below is a picture of a Nodular Melanoma. Doesn't look all that concerning does it?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (10-24-2020),CohibaRobusto (10-20-2020),DF (10-20-2020),Grinch (10-22-2020),joeyirish777 (10-21-2020),rawdeal (10-20-2020),Sicwun88 (10-20-2020),tinymk (10-20-2020),Uncle manny (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,801 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Thanks for posting. I tan as well so know about the risks involved. Glad you posted that. If I saw something like that I would have brushed it off as a pimple (I won't now)

Thanks
    when this happened to you snake and what's the update at this moment did u get it out and is everything ok now ?

looks like a simple pimple .. yeah, this is crazy
    StayHumble - StayHungry.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by andy View Post
    when this happened to you snake and what's the update at this moment did u get it out and is everything ok now ?

looks like a simple pimple .. yeah, this is crazy
    Originally Posted by snake View Post

I got the results back from pathology and it was just a small cyst.
    That pic was not mine, just an example.

Thanks
    ok I see))
    StayHumble - StayHungry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 886 Posts
    I don't see the picture so I looked it up on google.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DEADlifter For This Useful Post:

rawdeal (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Wow, Interesting and helpful to all of us I'm sure.

Crazy to think it's only 15% of melanoma cancers but 50% of melanoma deaths and I've never even heard of Nodular Melanoma...Thank you
    Desire, Discipline, Dedication, Determination, Devotion

Thanks
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I am pretty much anti sun, always been that way really. As you know I went through a bout with an aggressive form of skin cancer and had a large chunk cut out also needing a skin graft to cover the wound.
    Point being, you never ****ing know what is what on your skin. Several drs looked at that spot and said it was nothing.
    Get your skin issues checked by a dermatologist
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (10-24-2020),DEADlifter (10-20-2020),joeyirish777 (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Preach on Tiny!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

tinymk (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks man. I’m in the sun a lot on spring and early summer fishing. Looking myself over right now

Thanks
    Originally Posted by DEADlifter View Post
    I don't see the picture so I looked it up on google.
    Thanks, I can't see it either, thought it was something at my end somehow.

Snake, valuable service you're offering there. Part of my abuse of my health insurance is I practically have a Dermatolgist on retainer ... I grow more shit than an Iowa farmer. Mostly what the doc calls pre-cancers, but a few Basal and Squamous now and then. Always knew Melanoma was the worst, never had it so far, and scary to learn there's a "super melanoma" possibility. A previous Dermatologist told me another nasty thing once ... too much sun exposure can trigger a skin cancer elsewhere on parts of you that are never uncovered. I don't lay out to tan wearing just a bandaid, but I get a lot of sunlight all year long in gym shorts and a tee, so I have a lot of potential surprises. Trying to put all my doctor's kids through college, one lesion at a time.

#Lily White Lives Matter

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rawdeal For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (10-24-2020),DEADlifter (10-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 886 Posts
    Dear Uncle Snake,

I already had an appointment Monday for my psoriasis management. Be sure I am bringing this up. My doc is going to see me in all of my lack of glory. Scary stuff.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEADlifter For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (10-24-2020),CohibaRobusto (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by DEADlifter View Post
    Dear Uncle Snake,

I already had an appointment Monday for my psoriasis management. Be sure I am bringing this up. My doc is going to see me in all of my lack of glory. Scary stuff.
    Stay on top of it; largest organ of the human body.

This last visit of mine was a , "I'll take whom ever" but my normal Doc is a female. OMG, she's sweet with 3 E's, drop dead gorgeous!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

DEADlifter (10-21-2020),wilkinkc (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by rawdeal View Post
    A previous Dermatologist told me another nasty thing once ... too much sun exposure can trigger a skin cancer elsewhere on parts of you that are never uncovered......
    Yeah this is one of them. They can show up on the bottom of your feet!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 536 Posts
    I once had something pop up on my head, thought it was squamous cell, got it chopped off and it turned out to be a tumor of unknown origin... very random, it was big in 3 days. Had me sweating since I’ve had basal cell multiple times.

Those of you with a PPO plan, doctor shop for a hot dermatologist and let her have at it a couple times a year!

Thanks
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    . . . but my normal Doc is a female. OMG, she's sweet with 3 E's, drop dead gorgeous!
    Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
    . . . shop for a hot dermatologist and let her have at it a couple times a year!
    Situations like these, I'd be "Doctor, there's something on my penis I need you to look at."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rawdeal For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    I had cysts start forming right after BMT, and each time they said oh those are just fatty tumours, but they continue to grow and its scary shit, got them on my chest, forearms, and legs, have 1 that formed in my left forearm a few yrs ago and they hurt, also now have one in my lower left bicep, i guess i need to have some one competent check them out because they keep showing up
    "I think I'm gonna try to do a barrel role, and if that goes good, I'm just gonna nose down and call it a night"

"Nahh....I'm a white Guy"

Muther Fawken RICH -RIP BIG BALLS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
    Those of you with a PPO plan, doctor shop for a hot dermatologist and let her have at it a couple times a year!
    Give yourself a 12 week contest prep first, don't go in during the middle of a bulk!

Here's what got me back into fitness.... Mid 20's, I was a chubby mess, Dr asks if I mind if a medical student comes in to observe during my physical. Sure, I said.

Turns out to be one of the hottest little brunettes I've ever seen I'm my ife, and I'm standing there butt naked looking like like a human slug.

I bet she quit school after seeing that disaster!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

CohibaRobusto (10-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 594 Posts
    I have to admit that I don't really check my skin but I probably should. I'm also not one to go tan or sit out in the sun for extended periods.
    There are 2 kinds of pain in life... The pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Your choice...