Alcohol and Bodybuilding

Reaction score
Just curious what serious bodybuilder’s and competitor’s opinion is about alcohol and training. I train a lot, lift hard, and have my diet mostly dialed in. I say mostly because on the weekends I really enjoy having some beers or wine. I love craft beers and red wine. Moderation is key for me.
Do you completely abstain from alcohol or just during prep for a contest?

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by serious bodybuilders/ competitors and what class you strive to compete in and also what level your genetics are at. Bodybuilding is far from a level playing field.

me personally, I drink maybe a few times a year. And truthfully with age I’ve really lost my enjoyment for nights out.

wilkinkc

Reaction score
100% agree. It’s lost it’s appeal to me as well. I drank for the first time since being on my cut two weeks ago and felt like pure shit all day that Sunday. Totally not worth it, waste of a day. I feel like I didn’t even drink much compared to what I use to.

Brock is right, it depends on what level you are trying to be on with everything. I’m sure there are guys that get away with it and some that can’t and make the progress they desire. I know for me it’s part of why, if not entirely, why I gained so much weight in 3 years. That and eating like shit.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Yes it will add unnecessary sugars, cals, make you either not have an appetite or binge eat some bullshit either way all bad.
Plus if ur on the jewz and drinking it can lead to some pretty terrible decisions.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well you did say moderation. So if you're not plastering yourself then enjoy craft beer and wine, in moderation. Oh and no, I've never abstained from having a nice cold beer or a good glass of wine with my meals.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I rarely drink, but every now and then I'll be outside grilling, and the urge for a nice cold pint overwhelms me. I'll buy a 6-pack, and it'll last for months. Like you, it'll be a nice craft beer. Usually an IPA.

Maybe 1-2 times per year I'll go out with a buddy and have a few. Never get fukked up anymore though. It completely ruins the next day, and I have stuff to do.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
Too much stuff to do the next day - however, if it's the weekend, a holiday, etc...I don't see anything wrong with a beer or two or wine. Hard liquor is easy to misjudge and then your plastered and making bad decisions, at least imo...

Charger69

Reaction score
The night before a show, I drink a bottle of wine. The liquid makes you urinate and the alcohol helps dry you out a little more.
It also allows for a good nights sleep. LOL

lfod14

Reaction score
I'm very much a Craft beer guy, but try to avoid it as much as possible. It's just so beyond terrible for you that it's usually not worth it. I used to work for a beer distributor and got everything at cost which made it even worse. I treat it the same I would a terrible 3k calorie meal at a restaurant followed by a desert. Is the small amount of time I'm enjoying it worth how long the fallout will last? probably not!

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As Brock said many qualifications as nothing is equal ... bottom line is most here 99% are Pro competitive bodybuilders .. we are mostly in search of our best selves whatever that means ... my personal choice is I'd rather direct the empty calories elsewhere in my diet ... as everyone knows that abs are create at the table (not the gym) ...

Another consideration is those attracted to this life-style are more compulsive by nature than the general population (we're all either doing or have done PED's) ... so the discussion of alcohol must also be seen through that lens ... while the idea of moderation is nice and works for some .. others (me included) can site times where poor decisions were made while under the influence ... I have made the decision that alcohol is no longer a part of my life ... I had a toast at my step daughters wedding ... but my personal identity is I no longer consider alcohol part of my life .. I do not fear it .. I simply find the quality of life is better without it .. again it is a personal decision ... one that we all must make for ourselves ....

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I recently quit drinking on a regular basis for the last few months and feel much better personally.

Echo the other's statements that someone that is full of test and alcohol generally makes bad decisions.

Reaction score
Great discussion and insight. I agree with most responses. Basically it comes down to how important is it? For some people they can’t imagine life without drinking, others have no desire at all to drink or they’re just over it. Then for the rest of us including myself moderation is key. Someone mentioned or was leading to how age has an impact on the effects of alcohol. It’s funny because drinking is one of the times I can really feel my age. Meh, maybe one day I’ll be over it to. Until then cheers! Except not with IPA’s. Who the **** thought of that shit??????

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think you have to keep a couple of things in mind.

Some of what we do impacts the liver, you do not want to mess that one up.

Alcohol drives dehydration, which drives up Hematocrit levels substantially. This is a real problem and can be a silent killer.

New Threads