Glute Bands

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I promised my Ole lady I would do a leg workout with those glute bands with her. Leg press and all that with those bands around your thighs. I’m a little worried as I get closer to the workout haha. Do any of y’all use them and are they worth a damn or just some female fad.

time to get peachy

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I use them only as a means of warming up ie. monster walks forwards and backwards, lateral walks. It's a good way to get the hips, glutes, and abductors firing which is smart when you wanna squat or pull. I don't use them during the training though. I also perform goblet squats, SLDLS, glute bridges, planks, etc as part of the warm up before training.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
We'll definitely need to see videos of you using them, to check your form. :32 (20):

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Yes, but you do you feel about them?

;)

whenever i see a girl doing glute bridges or squats with them i really want to go on a tangent about how the glutes work but then ill hear "but i feel it better" which will likely make me want to murder them.
Or even worse when you see girls backwards in the the abductor machine for their "glutes" no... that's your piriformis you are feeling.

oh and "mansplaining"

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
whenever i see a girl doing glute bridges or squats with them i really want to go on a tangent about how the glutes work but then ill hear "but i feel it better" which will likely make me want to murder them.
Or even worse when you see girls backwards in the the abductor machine for their "glutes" no... that's your piriformis you are feeling.

oh and "mansplaining"

Still not understanding the feelings behind the words.....

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Never use or used any of this! I've always stuck to the basic ol skool leg training!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Like stated above they’re good for warming up and and waking the glutes up so they can fire when training. Not for an entire work out. I have some chics do some lunging with and bridges with them here And there but these chics go way overboard. Thanks to the IG booty builders that just got in from momma or down in Dominican republic on the cheap. They’re few natty booties out there but even those chics don’t realize they really got it from the basics, not the fluff.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I promised my Ole lady I would do a leg workout with those glute bands with her. Leg press and all that with those bands around your thighs. I’m a little worried as I get closer to the workout haha. Do any of y’all use them and are they worth a damn or just some female fad.

time to get peachy

They are good on bending bands to cresta negative resistance going down on your squats. Not around your legs but on the bar smith machine.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t really work my glutes I besides the abductor machine at the end of my workout and I super set it with sumo squats with light weight
I figure my squats and lunges hit my glutes enough

what do y’all recommend for working glutes? So I can tell these banded booty builders how it’s done

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t really work my glutes I besides the abductor machine at the end of my workout and I super set it with sumo squats with light weight
I figure my squats and lunges hit my glutes enough

what do y’all recommend for working glutes? So I can tell these banded booty builders how it’s done

to work the glutes in the fully lengthened range feet high and slighlty wider then shoulder width is great but you cant fully shorten the glutes with this so things like glute bridges and romanian deadlifts with either a barbell or dumbells work very well for that. I like to teach glute dominant rdls by placing a resistance band around the waist that is set up to pull your hip backwards so the person is forced to focus on driving their hip forward to bring the weight up rather then simply using their back to lift the weight up and down

Last edited:

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
to work the glutes in the fully lengthened range feet high and slighlty wider then shoulder width is great but you cant fully shorten the glutes with this so things like glute bridges and romanian deadlifts with either a barbell or dumbells work very well for that. I like to teach glute dominant rdls by placing a resistance band around the waist that is set up to pull your hip backwards so the person is forced to focus on driving their hip forward to bring the weight up rather then simply using their back to lift the weight up and down

to work the glutes in the fully lengthened range leg press with feet high and slightly wider then shoulder width*******************

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
they are a complete trash that do absolutely nothing for glute development.

Have to disagree with you. Bands literally equal resistance. Resistance builds muscle. Not to mention bands can better help train glutes in angles machines just wont. Plenty of research data on bands specifically. Sorry but youre full of crap if youre going against basic biomechanics. Mansplaining suits you perfectly. No hate just facts.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you. Bands literally equal resistance. Resistance builds muscle. Not to mention bands can better help train glutes in angles machines just wont. Plenty of research data on bands specifically. Sorry but youre full of crap if youre going against basic biomechanics. Mansplaining suits you perfectly. No hate just facts.

yes resistance bands work when the force is applied at the actual angles that the muscle works in but these "booty bands" apply force perpendicular to the angle that the glutes work in. They basically force you to apply a force of external rotation and glutes have absolutely nothing to do with that. SO sorry but i infact am not going against biomechanics. It would be similar to putting a band on your bicep to pull perpinduclar to the bicep and expecting it to make your bicep do more work when bicep curling.

now it will certainly cause something to work more but that something is the hip external rotatation muscles. primarily the piriformis

dreamscraper

Reaction score
IMO hook one end around something in a power rack and do tricep pushdowns with them. To me, push downs with bands are superior to a cable because the end range is the hardest part of the movement. I have a Westside blue strong band just for pushdowns pretty much but high rep band pushdowns are awesome. The burn is amazing.

I thought I remember seeing Brett Contreras making some kind of hip thruster machine for bands that would work the glutes nice.

Fitness industry loves to market cool gear to women to use in stupid ways though for some reason.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
yes resistance bands work when the force is applied at the actual angles that the muscle works in but these "booty bands" apply force perpendicular to the angle that the glutes work in. They basically force you to apply a force of external rotation and glutes have absolutely nothing to do with that. SO sorry but i infact am not going against biomechanics. It would be similar to putting a band on your bicep to pull perpinduclar to the bicep and expecting it to make your bicep do more work
now it will certainly cause something to work more but that something is the hip external rotatation muscles. primarily the piriformis

Thats right, bands will emphasize external rotation of the hip, which is primarily the piriformis. However they also can emphasize hip abduction, depending on the exercise, which is glute med & min and your tfl.

Majority of the stuff these chics do with the band is nonsense. They’ll do 100 difference stupid exercises with them but there are couple good ones.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Thats right, bands will emphasize external rotation of the hip, which is primarily the piriformis. However they also can emphasize hip abduction, depending on the exercise, which is glute med & min and your tfl.

Majority of the stuff these chics do with the band is nonsense. They’ll do 100 difference stupid exercises with them but there are couple good ones.

while i mostly agree with your post i just want to clarify and go a little deeper on how the glute medius and minimus work and why these booty bands are a poor choice for them.

the glute med is still a hip extender but yes it does so in a plane that slighty abducts. But that doesnt mean put a band around your thighs while you do hip extensions, it means you hip extend with feet slightly wider then shoulder width and dont allow your knees to come in as you drive up.

the glute min is an actual abductor yes in a slight extension plane. It is not trained by abducting in hip flexion though or the abductor machine. You would do standing abduction for it so that you are in a slight hip extension. This is mostly a stabilizing muscle in everyday use.

these sound overly technical too explain which is why i generalized with the statement of the glutes not being external rotators.

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Glute bands? What the hell is this shit?

Look we all know I'm ol' school but this firing muscles and activating things get done when you do one simple thing; squat. As for adding glute strength, my glutes are just fine and strong enough to even keep FD at bay.

Tex, I'm married and know that sometimes you just got to shut up and play along or Wally ends up on bread for a long time; I get it. But at least get some ol' fashion squat in before the craziness. Truthfully, after squats, the rest is just fluff.

New Threads