Apartment Gym

Reaction score
Has anyone set up a gym inside their apartment? I don't have a house.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You can do a lot with an adjustable bench, adjustable DBs and a doorway pullup bar.

Legs are tough to really overload without a barbell or heavy weights though, but you can get by.

Reaction score
I live on the second floor. I wonder how much weight the floor can hold.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

A whole hell of a lot more than a person can handle with DBs. :32 (18):

BrotherIron

Reaction score

Only one way to find out. I had a friend who put a cage in his apt and would pull, squat, and OHP in it. He wasn't on the 1st floor either.

TeddyBear

Former Skinny Kid / Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score

someone explained this way: structural engineers don’t tell the home builder: “tell the owner not to have 6 adults in this room at the same time”.

because the load support of a second floor should easily hold 6x200lb adults.

the difference is that 6 adults aren’t jumping in one square foot spot over and over. Place down a board or two and then a mat over it and you should be more than fine.

Reaction score

Residential floors typically are engineered to hold live loads of 40 lb/sqft in common spaces and 30lbs/sqft in bedrooms. For example, a 15'x15' bedroom(30lb/sqft) will hold 6,750lbs. a 15'x15' living room(40lbs/sqft) will hold 9,000lbs. This is the international standard for residential structures. Depending on your construction (timber or concrete), year built, city codes...that can drastically change.

As long as you don't have racks and racks of weights in small isolated spots, you will be okay. Might want to check with your complex though as I have worked with some that have stipulations. I build residential with a degree in structural engineering.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
If you're serious about your training?
You'll find a way to do it anywhere! From April to August I trained outside, thru some hot and cold even rainy days! Whatever it takes!

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
You can do a lot with an adjustable bench, adjustable DBs and a doorway pullup bar.

Legs are tough to really overload without a barbell or heavy weights though, but you can get by.

I agree with CJ. It doesn’t make sense to try to pack a home gym in an apt. There’s many exercises you can do with minimal equipment.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
You could probably get away with a modest set up. Go with squat stands instead of a rack, it’s space saver too. If you spread out the weight instead of keeping it all in one spot...

Reaction score
I'm a single guy with a two bedroom.I have a leverage squat machine, a seated calf machine, squat stands and a few other things. I may buy a house in a year.

New Threads