Hematocrit after donating blood

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious how much does your HCT (hematocrit) level drop after donating blood?

How long does the resulting drop in HCT last?

What is your experience with donating blood to reduce your HCT levels?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm curious much does your HCT (hematocrit) level drop after donating blood?

How long does the resulting drop in HCT last?

What is your experience with donating blood to reduce your HCT levels?

Good topic Mugz. I've honestly only donated a couple of times (I take IP6 regularly and that keeps it in check unless I'm in a heavy heavy cycle). As I recall, my drop was typically 7%-8% but I've seen a study where some people can drop as much as 11% after the initial donation (I do not recall the initial levels). I'm sure MrRippedZilla would have a much more specific answer with actual data, but this what I got :D

I couldn't even begin to tell you how long the drop lasted. Donating was always a last resort and I'm fortunate enough to be able to control values with IP6 alone.

Last edited:

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mugzy, I was actually prescribed to donate before when crit levels were getting a little too high. If i remember correctly I would drop about what Spongy would and was donating monthly for like 4 months. Once it was in check I was able to voluntarily give every few months or so and never had an issue after that

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good topic Mugz. I've honestly only donated a couple of times (I take IP6 regularly and that keeps it in check unless I'm in a heavy heavy cycle). As I recall, my drop was typically 7%-8% but I've seen a study where some people can drop as much as 11% after the initial donation (I do not recall the initial levels). I'm sure MrRippedZilla would have a much more specific answer with actual data, but this what I got :D

I couldn't even begin to tell you how long the drop lasted. Donating was always a last resort and I'm fortunate enough to be able to control values with IP6 alone.
IP6 lowers your crit level??

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
IP6 lowers your crit level??

I have read studies on this as well. It would be nice if somebody could do some research and write something up on this. I use IP6 for this reason however I have no idea if it provides benefit.

There is a website where writers research and write articles for $$. This may be a good topic.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have read studies on this as well. It would be nice if somebody could do some research and write something up on this. I use IP6 for this reason however I have no idea if it provides benefit.

There is a website where writers research and write articles for $$. This may be a good topic.
Agreed, if something has been found that will consistently and safely lower HCT that is a goldmine. This has plagued our sport for years.

DOOM

Reaction score
I have already donated 4 times this year. I donate at the hospital up the street from my house and I have another appointment in a few weeks.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have done my blood work, donated the day after and got blood work done for my Dr. 7 days after. Obviously I was checking to see I didn't pop hot for the Dr. bloods with my TT. The drop was not much; if I recall correctly, 3 or 4%.

Here's my thoughts on Crit levels. Your body has a static level it for some reason likes and it's going to do it's best to stay there. Ballpark, you got 50% Red blood cells, 2% white blood and platelets, the rest is plasma. If I have this right, 12 pints of blood, one gone is only a drop from 50 to 44 would be about where you're at getting out of the chair. The body is going to get that back up quick.

My guess is within 2 weeks you're back up and you can not donate again for another 6 weeks. Still, every bit can help if you feel your goal is to lower your number.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I deal with high crits, year round test and hrt along with living above 7,000 ft elevation.

I do 1-2 medical phlebotomies a month and they usually drop me about 1 full number. Like 56 before letting 550ml of blood, coming back the next week and I am low 55’s.

This has been my experience.

Reaction score
What kind of problems / symptoms do y'all start having from high hemocrit?

I haven't had this issue yet. All my blood draws have been fine.

DOOM

Reaction score
What kind of problems / symptoms do y'all start having from high hemocrit?

I haven't had this issue yet. All my blood draws have been fine.
It’s peace of mind man. I treat as preventative maintenance like changing the oil. Especially with my past history of partying, smoking and cycling. It’s important to keep my cardiovascular system as strong as possible and to keep blood moving properly to prevent a stroke!

Merlin

Reaction score
Hematocrit measures the formed elements of the blood which are RBCs, WBCs and platelets as Snake stated. RBCs will outweigh the amount of WBCs and platelets for numerous amount of physiological reasons. The RBCs are the number one contributor to hematocrit and hematocrit is the determinant of blood viscosity. If you HCT increases one could say blood viscosity increases. More viscosity = increased total peripheral resistance (resistance to blood flow). So if you have an increased HCT for extended periods of time it will increase the workload on the heart due to more force needed to overcome that resistance. This leads to left ventricular hypertrophy and possibly death.

Higher altitudes = less oxygen in an individuals blood. The body is then stimulated by the bone marrow to increase RBC count. This leads to increased HCT and the above ensues. All of this does take a considerable amount of time and other factors must be weighed.

DOOM

Reaction score
Hematocrit measures the formed elements of the blood which are RBCs, WBCs and platelets as Snake stated. RBCs will outweigh the amount of WBCs and platelets for numerous amount of physiological reasons. The RBCs are the number one contributor to hematocrit and hematocrit is the determinant of blood viscosity. If you HCT increases one could say blood viscosity increases. More viscosity = increased total peripheral resistance (resistance to blood flow). So if you have an increased HCT for extended periods of time it will increase the workload on the heart due to more force needed to overcome that resistance. This leads to left ventricular hypertrophy and possibly death.

Higher altitudes = less oxygen in an individuals blood. The body is then stimulated by the bone marrow to increase RBC count. This leads to increased HCT and the above ensues. All of this does take a considerable amount of time and other factors must be weighed.
Interesting I have lived Colorado for over 20 years. Even more reason to donate. My last EQ cycle my oxygen levels were a 100%. The nurse even commented on it and that’s at altitude.

Reaction score
I’m dealing with this right now. Had bloods 2 days ago. High HCT along with high AST & ALT. Doc (PCP) has already told me before if this happens he’ll drop or even discontinue my TRT. Wtf. What is IP6???

supreme666leader

Reaction score
never heard of ip6 before til i read this thread but seems pretty expensive. I got bloodwork 2yrs ago before being on anything and i was at 50.4 hemo maybe i just run higher and got bloodwork a few weeks ago like a month after finishing a 4month test cycle (500mg) with dbol and anavar at diff points in the cycle and i came back at 51.4 but had donated about a month before. Oh and was and trt (150mg per week) after finishing cycle.

so not too horrible but would like to get it lower, i can always donate again but only other things ive read was grapefruit use which can cause other problems (been trying to eat a quarter of grapefruit per day), drinking tons of water, and cardio but read mixed things on this.

Whats the highest youve come in at? I feel great, no headaches or anything like that.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
My hematocrit is always high. Last blood draw in July I was 52.6 with trt only.

My doctor never seems to be worried about this level.

Says that it gets to 55 or higher, we would do something about it

supreme666leader

Reaction score
Yes some labs have diff ranges mine was at 50 read some are up to 54.

New Threads