Do you guys find it hard to take days off the gym?

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I have a really difficult time taking days off. I pretty much 100% do 5 days a week automatic and a lot of times 6. I kind of go until my body tells me I need a day off.

Anyone have the same issues? I do not feel right if I do not go. Plus on the days I go I feel more disciplined and eat more and drink the shake and on my days off I feel like I am not doing everything else to full potential.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Planning rest days are not a problem for me because I know that they are necessary and are part of my program. What I have problems with is when life gets in the way and it interferes with my planned workout day.

Yeah I try to plan life around gym days lmao

If I know I have something my wife or me need to do ahead of time then I try to make sure that day will be a rest day.

I guess a planned schedule would be good.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I used to workout sometimes 2 weeks straight.
Would convince myself it was ok because of my split.
I have had much better results building now that I take regular rest days.
I get it tho.
Maybe double down on some cardio on your rest days so you still feel accomplished and it'll keep you hungry.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I used to workout sometimes 2 weeks straight.
Would convince myself it was ok because of my split.
I have had much better results building now that I take regular rest days.
I get it tho.
Maybe double down on some cardio on your rest days so you still feel accomplished and it'll keep you hungry.

Look at you full of good ideas lol

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
You train arms 6 days per week??? :32 (20):

All while listening to Biden speeches.

Actually I took Jin's advice going to do biceps and triceps only thrown in at the end of other work outs. Gonna try that for a while to see how it works out.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
this is may sound like dick advice but i believe if you can train more then 2 or 3 days in a row, you probably are not training hard enough so maybe 5 or 6x/week for you is completely fine for recovery but you might not be training hard enough for real quality growth depending on your level of development (intensity needed for an advanced athlete is obviously different then someone a year in). Focus on getting more from your sets and taking those sets to a deep dark place. Just watch a video of Jordan Peters (trainedbyjp) training to understand what i mean. 95% of people just cant mentally have the intensity he has but you can certainly learn from him. If you dont feel beat up to the point that you need a day off after a back or leg day, you probably arent doing them right.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
this is may sound like dick advice but i believe if you can train more then 2 or 3 days in a row, you probably are not training hard enough so maybe 5 or 6x/week for you is completely fine for recovery but you might not be training hard enough for real quality growth depending on your level of development (intensity needed for an advanced athlete is obviously different then someone a year in). Focus on getting more from your sets and taking those sets to a deep dark place. Just watch a video of Jordan Peters (trainedbyjp) training to understand what i mean. 95% of people just cant mentally have the intensity he has but you can certainly learn from him. If you dont feel beat up to the point that you need a day off after a back or leg day, you probably arent doing them right.

Guess I am watching Jordan Peters videos on my way home lol

When I do back shoulders biceps and triceps I like 90% of the time feel it I get upset if I do not get sore.

Legs I just started training not too long ago and I had 2 knee surgeries so I am trying to slowly ease into it so I have been starting slow but still feel it after.

But I wanna go to the dark place lol sounds like it feels amazing.

But I for sure think I need to push my self harder.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Guess I am watching Jordan Peters videos on my way home lol

When I do back shoulders biceps and triceps I like 90% of the time feel it I get upset if I do not get sore.

Legs I just started training not too long ago and I had 2 knee surgeries so I am trying to slowly ease into it so I have been starting slow but still feel it after.

But I wanna go to the dark place lol sounds like it feels amazing.

But I for sure think I need to push my self harder.

i think that's pretty common to not feel sore with shoulders and biceps especially. I've heard that before from plenty of people and im the same way. My triceps can get sore but i also dont think soreness is a good indicator of an effective workout or not. soreness mostly comes from the lengthening portion of a lift (think lowering of a weight/eccentric/ negative portion) do super slow negatives on a lift and a 1-2 second hold in the fully stretched position and youll be very slow but i dont think that is any more beneficial for growth then simply just having control of the negative. I like to keep my indicator for a good workout simple, did i beat my log book while keeping my form pretty much the same then the week before?

i feel your pain on legs though, biggest thing that has helped me is working on my ankle and hip mobilty and then finding lifts that feel the most comfortable for me and just focusing on those.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
i think that's pretty common to not feel sore with shoulders and biceps especially. I've heard that before from plenty of people and im the same way. My triceps can get sore but i also dont think soreness is a good indicator of an effective workout or not. soreness mostly comes from the lengthening portion of a lift (think lowering of a weight/eccentric/ negative portion) do super slow negatives on a lift and a 1-2 second hold in the fully stretched position and youll be very slow but i dont think that is any more beneficial for growth then simply just having control of the negative. I like to keep my indicator for a good workout simple, did i beat my log book while keeping my form pretty much the same then the week before?

i feel your pain on legs though, biggest thing that has helped me is working on my ankle and hip mobilty and then finding lifts that feel the most comfortable for me and just focusing on those.

Being sore I compare to placebo lol just puts you in that mindset that something is happening even if its not.

But yes ever since I learned about slow negatives and hold on contraction it has been game changing.

Shit is like a never ending science that you keep learning new shit everyday. Still to this day every time I figure out something new that tweaks my work out I get excited like a child on Christmas.

When you opening up your YouTube channel? lol

dragon1952

Elite
Reaction score
I dislike non-gym days because it's really my only release from everyday boring life. :^ /

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Bricks is prob one of the biggest guys on here and he rests when his body tells him not on any set day. Everyone different

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I was capable of working out 7 days a week I would really question how hard I was working during those workouts.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I take rest days as needed, there not a set of planned days! When I feel good and strong,
I train! When feeling drained I take a day off!

Last edited:

joeyirish777

Reaction score
I hate days off too. I feel like I lose momentum. The only thing that helps that is convincing yourself that it's the best thing you can do. Feeling like you want to do more is a lot better though than overtraining or getting injured.

I always felt like this is where the real professional athletes comes into play.. being able to dial in between pushing his limit, and not overdoing it.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Planned days off for active recovery (cardio, heavy bag work) are all part of the game.

Unplanned days off due to unforeseen circumstances make me agro.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I take rest days as needed, there not a set of planned days! When I feel good and strong,
I train! When feeling drained I take a day off!

Thats pretty much what i have been doing

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Planned days off for active recovery (cardio, heavy bag work) are all part of the game.

Unplanned days off due to unforeseen circumstances make me agro.

I should start doing the heavy bag again was a good work out i punched mine off the joyce in the garage have to figure out to to make it more sturdy

New Threads