What are your 3 best back movements for adding size

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I got such great answers for chest exercises I thought that I would ask a similar question for back.

Because I'm old with a bad knee I no longer dead lifts or seated cable row .. both of which I loved.

I just learned the Meadow row (thanks CJ) and have been using it.

I do Yates bb rows (palms up) ... t-bar rows ... single armed db rows ... and a few different machine rows ...

What are your 3 best back movements for adding size?

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Narrow or neutral grip lat pull downs does it for me.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
When I actually get some meat on my back I'll know for sure, but right now I'd say...

Pendlay Rows
Ntrl Grip Pullups/Pulldowns
Deadlifts

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Can I go with standing calf raises again?

dreamscraper

Reaction score
Plate loaded, chest supported that you lay on at an angle, t-bar row machine is the one piece of gear that is not negotiable at a gym for me. Has to have it.

I have always loved the narrow grip row but from overhead too instead of seated row on a pull down machine.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I like doing dead-stop rows (heavy), T-Bar rows (heavy), Pull-ups or Lat-Pulls. (and heavy shrugs for traps/upper-back).

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Not deadlifts
Certainly not deadlifts
Definitely not deadlifts

YMMV

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I see many doing heavy bent of bb rows (I can still do these Praise the Lord) ... how many do them Yates style (palms up) and opposed to neutral grip (palms down) ....?

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Trans-

1. DL. Always.
2. Bent Over Row - this does not take a ton of weight if done correctly. I typically use 135-225 on BOR's and I really focus on the squeeze at the top, overhand grip.
3. Close grip/Wide grip rows on cable

I see many doing heavy bent of bb rows (I can still do these Praise the Lord) ... how many do them Yates style (palms up) and opposed to neutral grip (palms down) ....?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Barbell row- heavy over hand then light under hand

seal row- great one, a little different than t bar.

pull ups- done the right way slow and controlled, proper range will always be a great back builder for any level. All different grips of course...

Reactions: Jin

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Deadlift, and pendlay are my main. Weighted chins too

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Since you have a bad knee. 1, are you hinging when you perform a DL? So many squat down to the bar and that's completely wrong. 2, have you tried rack pulls but with the bar below the knee (as they should be performed). This will hit your back hard.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Since you have a bad knee. 1, are you hinging when you perform a DL? So many squat down to the bar and that's completely wrong. 2, have you tried rack pulls but with the bar below the knee (as they should be performed). This will hit your back hard.

I've never seen a rack pull before .. I just watched a video .. that is like a 3/4 range of motion of a deadlift basically .. I'm going to try that next back work out ... I think my knee will tolerate that better due to not going all the way to the floor ...

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score

dont forget this is exactly how he tore his bicep as well.
But if your shoulder mobility can handle it, these can definately work well when performed to target the lats instead of the upper back musculature. I use to like doing them with an EZ-bar as it was easier for my shoulders.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
dont forget this is exactly how he tore his bicep as well.
But if your shoulder mobility can handle it, these can definately work well when performed to target the lats instead of the upper back musculature. I use to like doing them with an EZ-bar as it was easier for my shoulders.

I did not know that's how he tore his bicep ... thanks for that info.

New Threads