Hip flexors

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have been back on a stretching program for several months, 6x/wk and takes about 30 min. Combined with inversion, some foam rolling, modifying some exercises and not trying to squat the house, my back is feeling pretty damn good. Hips are still a little grumpy though.

I do a far amount of research and I came across this for the hip flexors. Now I do 2 hip flexor stretches in my stretching routine but this? I don't think I could even get close to that position. Anyone try this or use it? I would think that would torque the hell out of your LCL.

Pigeon-Stretch-STACK.png

Reaction score
This stretch is not for hip flexors but rather your glutes. Hurdle stretches are going to be best for your flexors. Focus needs to be on ensuring your hips stay perpendicular to your line of stretch and work on controlling pelvic tilt to increase stretch. Careful though as it's easy to quickly over stretch and pull some soft tissue.

A good active exercise that I like for the flexors is using a TRX strap in a single strap configuration. Lay on stomach and set foot holder to a height that stretches your flexors with your leg straight and then flex until your body is like an inverted V. Done with a single leg this is a string flexor developer.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
This stretch is not for hip flexors but rather your glutes. Hurdle stretches are going to be best for your flexors. Focus needs to be on ensuring your hips stay perpendicular to your line of stretch and work on controlling pelvic tilt to increase stretch. Careful though as it's easy to quickly over stretch and pull some soft tissue.

A good active exercise that I like for the flexors is using a TRX strap in a single strap configuration. Lay on stomach and set foot holder to a height that stretches your flexors with your leg straight and then flex until your body is like an inverted V. Done with a single leg this is a string flexor developer.

I'll take your word for it because there's no way I could even remotely get into that position.

Any chance you have a vid you could link on a stretch you like for the hip flexors? I do 2 now but I'm always open for expert advice.

Reaction score
I don't because I modified some other things I did on TRX and not sure it's commonly used. I can have my daughter take a vid when she is back in the gym with me. I might be able to do a drawing, but not sure i can post things like that on this forum yet. Hopefully i can get to that threshold over the next day or two and be able to post. Will give yo a heads up.

joeyirish777

Reaction score
I second progressive on that. I do this stretch a few times a week to get at my glutes.

In that picture I would feel the stretch in my right glutes, the one bent and underneath.

The left hip flexor will get a tiny stretch, but the hip flexor stretch can be mimicked by a lot of simpler stretches.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
The picture doesn’t show it, but I bet there’s a fleshlight strapped to his ankle

Reactions: Jin

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Towards the end of my PL career, i started doing yoga once a week. Laugh away if you want, but it kept me going injury free for a few more years, and I felt great. I quit when the smoking hot, big titty instructor left for some whacky old hippy broad who smelled like wheat germ, and prob had cobwebs in her snatch.

I was able to get into that stretch with a small block under my folded knee at 5-10, 240lbs.

Now I just do the agile 8 a few times a week to keep the hips loose.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I started stretching again as well, my hips, lower back are basically useless, from sitting at my desk for 12 hours a day, then on a couch at night for a couple of hours watching shows w/ wife. I do my workouts mid-day, but also go heavy still, and at my age and number of years training (41+) it has taken its toll on all joints as well. Amazing after ceasing the heavy SQ/DL workouts for 1-week, I feel better,and adding in stretching. Going to skip that (SQ/DL) for another week, then ease them back in with a lighter linear progression and build up slowly again while getting more limber. This stretching stuff is PAINFUL, Wow...

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Towards the end of my PL career, i started doing yoga once a week. Laugh away if you want, but it kept me going injury free for a few more years, and I felt great. I quit when the smoking hot, big titty instructor left for some whacky old hippy broad who smelled like wheat germ, and prob had cobwebs in her snatch.

I was able to get into that stretch with a small block under my folded knee at 5-10, 240lbs.

Now I just do the agile 8 a few times a week to keep the hips loose.

Wheat germ is good for you!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I actually do that everytime before I squat, opens up my hips. I have a little routine I do, as we all probably do.

As for hip flexors, ever try the couch stretch? When you do it, make sure you squeeze the glute on the side where your leg is behind you, you'll get a deep stretch of the flexor.

His explanation sounds hippy'ish, but try it, you'll feel it...

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Couch stretch saved me a lot of pain in the past. Excellent movement

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
skullcrusher's link had some good ones I already do, thanks bro. Good to know I'm on the right path. The vid CJ posted is worth a try. I do a version of that but will give it a go for a week and see how it feels. Will look into those vids of Starrett's also.

I do my stretching in the early morning but really should try to add something in as I sit at my work desk. Once in the habit, it won't be a big deal. Thanks everyone.

New Threads