DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ryan are you still getting fatter?

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Try an assisted(or regular) dip machine, but lean forward. That will really hit your inner lower pecs. You might need to play around with positioning to find your sweet spot.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You do realize I can be fat and still exercise and go to the gym right? Guys die from taking steroids too you know. I was just asking for advice here about working out that has **** all to do with my weight.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
You do realize I can be fat and still exercise and go to the gym right? Guys die from taking steroids too you know. I was just asking for advice here about working out that has **** all to do with my weight.

That's irrelevant to the topic...people die for a lot of reasons...you are purposely trying to be unhealthy I just dont understand do your thing bro

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Like I said this thread was about chest workouts. I didn’t ask for diet advice.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Something people need to understand about the bench press. It is a compound exercise therefore it cannot be turned into a chest isolation movement no what adjustments you try to make with it. Some of these newer press machines are better designed to hit your chest directly. So try to work with those for a while to help dial you in

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Something people need to understand about the bench press. It is a compound exercise therefore it cannot be turned into a chest isolation movement no what adjustments you try to make with it. Some of these newer press machines are better designed to hit your chest directly. So try to work with those for a while to help dial you in

I’m finding cables I can do well. Machines I really struggle with peck deck. It’s a simple machine but I’m clearly doing something wrong with height of the seat or something because I almost never feel any muscle being used. I know I have to keep my back straight and not use my shoulders but still. Awful.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Look for chest machines where your arms converge (get closer to each other) vs just pushing straight out. You get a larger degree of Pec range of motion.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
There’s only two chest machines in my huge commercial gym. The press and pec deck. It’s crazy it’s such an expensive gym but doesn’t have that much variety.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I’m finding cables I can do well. Machines I really struggle with peck deck. It’s a simple machine but I’m clearly doing something wrong with height of the seat or something because I almost never feel any muscle being used. I know I have to keep my back straight and not use my shoulders but still. Awful.

If you mean cable crossover, they're really hard to overload. Save that for a finisher, if at all.

Bench or machines shine because you have an immovable object you press against for support, and therefore can express more force into the weight being used. More force will yield more muscle

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
If you mean cable crossover, they're really hard to overload. Save that for a finisher, if at all. Bench or machines shine because you have an immovable object you press against for support, and therefore can express more force into the weight being used. More force will yield more muscle

That makes sense the awful thing is I normally have no choice but to do that first as theres only One double cable machine in my gym, and if I don’t get on it. I don’t get to use it. Commercial gyms suck...and because of covid I’m more careful than ever to keep my distance. I hope one day I can go back to doing whatever the **** I want but impossible right now. My gyms not even open.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That makes sense the awful thing is I normally have no choice but to do that first as theres only One double cable machine in my gym, and if I don’t get on it. I don’t get to use it. Commercial gyms suck...and because of covid I’m more careful than ever to keep my distance. I hope one day I can go back to doing whatever the **** I want but impossible right now. My gyms not even open.

It's fine first, it can get you warmed up, give you a good connection to the muscle. I only meant don't make it the PRIMARY exercise to drive strength/growth.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
It's fine first, it can get you warmed up, give you a good connection to the muscle. I only meant don't make it the PRIMARY exercise to drive strength/growth.

yeah understood I guess I just like it because I know I’m doing it well. Iv been focusing on dumbbells more but I guess I should go back to the smith machine too.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
yeah understood I guess I just like it because I know I’m doing it well. Iv been focusing on dumbbells more but I guess I should go back to the smith machine too.

Smith machine is a great option. Play around with different angles, see which feels best for you. You can even use slight angles, try sliding a 10 lb plate under the feet of the bench. Doesn't have to be big angles.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Smith machine is a great option. Play around with different angles, see which feels best for you. You can even use slight angles, try sliding a 10 lb plate under the feet of the bench. Doesn't have to be big angles.

I think I too often just use the simple flat bench and it’s really not doing much for me. Thanks for all the advice.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Just putting this out there, but have you tried a slingshot or any other similar type of product? I used it as a way to help retrain my form on bench (bar and dumbbell, across flat/incline/decline), as well as help improve my form on dips.

Once I fixed my form I started lifting without it, pushed myself to muscle fatigue and then would put it on to help simulate negative reps without having a spotter... works great for that too. It's also good of you are nursing a shoulder injury but want to still get some bench work in.

Even though I only use it for negative reps now, I think it was a great tool to help me work through my bench form issues.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Never heard of anything like that, will have a google thanks!

Reactions: Jin

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just pretend it’s a slimy sandwich and get at it fatboy