Dislocated rib

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a dislocated rib? I have got a rib on my back that feels like it has been dislocated. Its not terribly painful, more annoying that anything. Has not stopped me from working out but it has been causing me to not sleep well.

Besides going to a chiropractor are there ways to put it back in that you know of?

Ped X

Reaction score
I have a rib that pops out and I can barely breathe when it happens. Have to goto the chiro and they can try and work the muscle around it to relax it and help it go back in. Takes awhile sometimes. Maybe you are just way tougher than me..

joeyirish777

Reaction score
I think I got a bruised rib from boxing a little over 2 years ago. I still feel a sharp pain every now and then when I fully inhale a certain way. I'm guessing it was a fracture.

Either way, the pain was annoying as hell... good luck sneezing or coughing..

Don't be like me, and still be in pain years later.. get it checked out.

Ped X

Reaction score
I think I got a bruised rib from boxing a little over 2 years ago. I still feel a sharp pain every now and then when I fully inhale a certain way. I'm guessing it was a fracture.

Namuch that docs will really do for a broken rib unless its severely out of place or punctured a lung or some shit like that. How long did you box for?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Same back when I fought Thai. Body kicks suck. Get ye a rib belt if ye think its dislocated or fractured and if it persists or if ye really have trouble breathing ye should go get an x-ray so ye know ye haven't punctured yer lung. Don't think ye can 'tough guy' through it if yer feeling it fer more than a week or so or if yer breathing is disrupted.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
You can roll on a tennis ball over the spot on the floor. I have had this happen several times and it helped. Hurt to do it but it did eventually feel better.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Assuming there was no impact injury and the location of the pain, it could be the Serratus Posterior Inferior. I just had a go-round with these little fuukers. If they get real cranky, you can feel it when you take a deep breath and push back in a high back chair. A deep tissue massage will make it feel better for a while. I can't say what causes them to act up but it's definitely related to my bench arch. Seems to go away on it's own but it could be 8+ weeks.

maxresdefault.jpg

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I would first try to distinguish if its bruised or dislocated. I had both when playing football, they are vastly different. Does it hurt to breath?

I wouldnt risk damaging the cartilage between the ribs if its dislocated. A sudden dislocation while lifting will tear the cartilage, and its irreparable and permanently painful.

Or it could have just been your ribs shifting around. When I first started lifting the new muscle on my chest caused a big slip and slide effect on my rib cage. All the ribs on my left side shifted at once, but the inflammation went away after a week.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I'm thinking its a pissed off rib thats a little out of place. It does cause some pain when I breathe. The funny thing is I don't even recall a time when I would have injured it. Hell could have been from sneezing...who the hell knows. I think with time it will resolve.

I will have to see if I can talk the wife into doing a deep tissue massage.

Side note I did a decent back workout last night and it didn't really bother me too much.

Ped X

Reaction score
If you are doing back workouts you're rib is not dislocated. You will be fine.

joeyirish777

Reaction score
Namuch that docs will really do for a broken rib unless its severely out of place or punctured a lung or some shit like that. How long did you box for?

I boxed in high school.. further down the line I had gotten back into it and hurt it preparing for a 'local' tournament.

Same back when I fought Thai. Body kicks suck.

oh I bet man, waaaay out of my lane. and I'll get it checked out one day.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Rib injuries suck..used to tape them back then...30yrs ago..now they say don't..in contact sports..you either have had a cracked rib or you haven't had one yet..but it's coming..

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Rib injuries suck..used to tape them back then...30yrs ago..now they say don't..in contact sports..you either have had a cracked rib or you haven't had one yet..but it's coming..

I cracked a rib back in the day wrestling, that took for ever to heal up.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Injuries are two-fold..the physical pain and the psychological..which sometimes never heals..

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I heard it’s annoying and painful . I’m big into healing 100% before testing it

New Threads