Fat grips?

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
Anyone train with them? I started dr jhon rusins functional strength program. He goes on about ramping up to a 1rm for the day. The week before I
Benched 365 for one after I finished a different program. Put fat grips on and strained my left shoulder with 335. My friend who runs the program said I was supposed to use a false grip, suicide grip, monkey grip as I used to call it in jujitsu. Had anyone noticed much benefit from working with them? They are the only variable i have as to why I injured with 30 lbs lower on the bar.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair for my dumbbells. They come Tuesday. I think they are mostly intended for curls and lower weight db lifts. From what I read and the videos I have watched, you might need to lower weight with some lifts. Especially if you are trying to use them for heavier than dumbbell stuff.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair for my dumbbells. They come Tuesday. I think they are mostly intended for curls and lower weight db lifts. From what I read and the videos I have watched, you might need to lower weight with some lifts. Especially if you are trying to use them for heavier than dumbbell stuff.

You can use them for bench, OHP, pulls, rows, etc. You can use them for all pressing and pulling movements. They work your forearms and grip while targeting the movements muscles too.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
You can use them for bench, OHP, pulls, rows, etc. You can use them for all pressing and pulling movements. They work your forearms and grip while targeting the movements muscles too.

Yes!
Great for the forearms!

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Great for forearms. Have to get used to benching with them tho. The thickness of it may have had your shoulders just the slightest bit more internally rotated (which will can definitely wreak havoc on the shoulders) because of you having to open your hand up to grip. That’s why your friend mentioned the suicide grip, itl help keep your wrists from turning in to grip which will keep the elbows and shoulders lined where they should be.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never tried them and never had an interest.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Sorry, was just sharing how I have seen them used which is mostly db and accessory lifts.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Anyone train with them? I started dr jhon rusins functional strength program. He goes on about ramping up to a 1rm for the day. The week before I
Benched 365 for one after I finished a different program. Put fat grips on and strained my left shoulder with 335. My friend who runs the program said I was supposed to use a false grip, suicide grip, monkey grip as I used to call it in jujitsu. Had anyone noticed much benefit from working with them? They are the only variable i have as to why I injured with 30 lbs lower on the bar.

Those things suck IMO..

Great for holding bands.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Floor presses and I actually like to perform bench presses with an axle. I use my axle for OH presses too. Just yesterday I did some standing OH pin presses.

Axle bar clean and presses!!!

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
I train with an axle and I don't use a false grip.
Yeh man axle would be ideal. I dont have access to one unfortunately
Thats the plan going forward. Ease into them
Great for forearms. Have to get used to benching with them tho. The thickness of it may have had your shoulders just the slightest bit more internally rotated (which will can definitely wreak havoc on the shoulders) because of you having to open your hand up to grip. That’s why your friend mentioned the suicide grip, itl help keep your wrists from turning in to grip which will keep the elbows and shoulders lined where they should be.
The rotation of the shoulders is what my friend specified aswell. Good insight manny.