Swimming for Cardio

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Where I am moving the gym I'll go to has a full size pool for swimming laps. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to get in a low impact cardio routine.

Anybody used swimming as your cardio?

Advice?

Suggestions?

Charger69

Reaction score
Where I am moving the gym I'll go to has a full size pool for swimming laps. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to get in a low impact cardio routine.

Advice?

Suggestions?

Probably the best cardio that you can do. Just make sure you drink water. You do t realize that you sweat because you are in water.
You will be surprised at how hard it is at first, but you will gradually get better.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I had a pool i would definitely use swimming for cardio. During the summers I spend lots of time on the beach surfing and swimming and it definitely Kickstarts my heart rate

Gabriel

Reaction score
Take it slow..its a whole body WO..you may be more sore from that than the iron

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Advice?

Suggestions?

Flippers and a life vest. :32 (20):

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pool work is great. Do it. You won’t regret it. Even walking in the shallow lane is great cardio and good for the legs.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I enjoy swimming for cardio, Only down side is I pump up like a balloon when swimming hard for laps.
excellent cardio brother

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Best cardio there is. Just like any kind of cardio, do not overdo it.

I used to swim a lot. Miss it.

Lived across the street from the beach in Michigan and about 7 blocks away in California.

Was a lifeguard for a while.

If it's an olympic sized pool you could maybe do 3 to 5 complete laps and be done.

If it's smaller then maybe around 7 to 10 depending on the size.

Just do what you feel up to doing without exhausting yourself too much.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I do it it’s more anaerobic.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I looked up the word anaerobic as it pertains to exercise. I don't really understand. Can you explain a little please?

It pertains to me being a crappy swimmer and gasping for oxygen. (I.e a joke that missed its mark)

Charger69

Reaction score
I used to run 4 miles a day. I decided to go to swim 2 days instead of running.
I figured I would just do laps for an hour since I did so much cardio. I started swimming and wasn’t sure if I could make it to the other end. LOL

dreamscraper

Reaction score
No impact and there has to be some kind of thermogenic component depending on the water temp. Even if you started on a paddle board and just kick it would still be more than walking I would think.
I would love to but the closest pool to me has always been crowded.

Rucking is also a nice step up from just walking. Rucking with a 35lb pack is so much different than just walking.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Story
A few yrs ago we had a nice boat and Modest place on Lake Keewee..as we were heading back an argument arised..and I told my girl.."see you at the house"...and jumped out..
Yeah about 1mile away...boy was I tired..

Reactions: Jin

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
No impact and there has to be some kind of thermogenic component depending on the water temp. Even if you started on a paddle board and just kick it would still be more than walking I would think.
I would love to but the closest pool to me has always been crowded.

Rucking is also a nice step up from just walking. Rucking with a 35lb pack is so much different than just walking.

Until I read the last sentence, I thought you were using that R to replace an F. Also solid cardio btw.

New Threads