Emails or darknet?

Miamiking

Reaction score
It has been years since I had even tried to contact my last source and his email doesn't even work anymore. Since that time the darknet has exploded . My question is, are emails still a primary method (for private)? What has changed from 15 years ago that I should be aware of? Darknet is usually way overpriced that I've seen. But just trying to make sure I'm not completely wasting my time even looking for a quality email. I would imagine its the same as it was but things may have happened that I'm unaware of so figured I'd ask. Obviously we now have bitcoin which I'm familiar with but as far as actual ordering etc is what I'm referring to. Thanks for any guidance.

lfod14

Reaction score
Another for protonmail, the darknet is kinda an outdated idea in 2020, aside from being the exact same internet we're on now, TOR is slow as hell. PM is end to end encrypted in transit and at rest, with the exception of when you send outside of PM, but even then it's encrypted in transit. If your REALLY wanted a disconnect from the email you could use a dark email provider like secmail, but PM with a VPN will accomplish the same thing. Should always be running through a VPN anyways IMO.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Proton can be free, and so can the VPN it offers. They have upgraded versions of both, and right now a sale is going on through 11/30/2020 I think.

bigbadjedi93

Reaction score
Proton can be free, and so can the VPN it offers. They have upgraded versions of both, and right now a sale is going on through 11/30/2020 I think.

Im on the proton vpn free trial which expires tomorrow. My question is, is the free version good enough or do I need the plus version like the trial I got for 54 countries and core something that it says you get.

Reaction score
Im on the proton vpn free trial which expires tomorrow. My question is, is the free version good enough or do I need the plus version like the trial I got for 54 countries and core something that it says you get.

I signed up on the free version and i dl the app. It seems to work perfectly fine so far. No issues. I don't really know the diff between this one and the one you pay for tho.

Miamiking

Reaction score
so no one uses hushmail anymore then obviously? Just changed to protonmail

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
so no one uses hushmail anymore then obviously? Just changed to protonmail
Hushmail is out of Canada. They were of unparalleled help to the feds in ORD. The DEA asked for all emails and the owners rolled over, exposing their genitals, and served up all the info in their possession.

You need to use a provider with servers in countries that don't cooperate with USA LE. Panama, for example, is one such country...and low and behold, Panama is where ProtonMail servers are based!

Last edited:

Miamiking

Reaction score
Hushmail is out of Canada. They were of unparalleled help to the feds in ORD. The DEA asked for all emails and the owners rolled over, exposing their genitals, and served up all the info in their possession.

You need to use a provider with servers in countries that don't cooperate with USA LE. Panama, for example, is one such country...and low and behold, Panama is where ProtonMail servers are based!

Oh ok. Was curious a bout hushmail because that was what was big last time I was around. Thanks for the info

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Opinions ... I have lots of them, and they're on sale!

I'm the one above who mentioned a Proton sale as an FYI since it has an upcoming expiration date. The truth is I've been using the free version for a few yrs. I only use it for doing business as a small time end user and for registration purposes on 2 boards. Junk boards I sometimes go lurk on get a gmail addy from me, as do anything from the "regular" part of my life. My free Proton has served me well, and I'm not in jail ... yet. Tbh, I am tempted to jump on their Black Friday thing, but I'm the same guy who will buy a 10lb bag of dog shit if it's on sale for $5 ... and I have my own dogs for that anyway. I suspect a Proton+ version would be useful for anyone who used it more, with the added benefit ugl's need. Note the sale is 3 offers ... you can upgrade just the email, or the vpn, or both for different rates, locked in for 1 or 2 years.

Other providers? No! for hushmail. Hush was related to "Cyber Rights" in some way, and both were the cool things to use over 10 years ago. One of, if not THE, biggest busts ever was ORD, Operation Raw Deal back around the 2008 Beijing Olympics, when the Chinese were willing to cooperate to clean up their image a bit. Hush and Cyber both cooperated with LE at that time. Before that, safe-mail.net was liked by some, but they are not as safe as they would like you to believe. Since then, securenym became the flavor of the month for some years, but it is less favored now ... I'm unclear on the specifics there. The four I've seen used by most solid sources the last few years are, in no order, Proton, Tutanota, and Anonymousspeech, maybe Countermail too. I don't get out much; there may be a few others you can trust. Not a bad idea to use the same one your source uses though not always required.

Reaction score
The answer to your question depends on what illegal hobbies you have and where you're located. Secure emails are not a one size fits all approach. If I make the assumption that this is solely aas related, then I would suggest a email server in a country where gear is legal. It would take me a week or more to analyze the laws and do the proper research. I don't know what the laws are like in Panama.

Slic.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m the worst with technology on the board and proton is easy even for me lol

Miamiking

Reaction score
I’m the worst with technology on the board and proton is easy even for me lol

I am actually very good with tech , I was just trying to figure out what has changed tech wise as far as this scene goes , as I have been out of the game for awhile. If any of you ever have any tech questions feel free to ask.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am actually very good with tech , I was just trying to figure out what has changed tech wise as far as this scene goes , as I have been out of the game for awhile. If any of you ever have any tech questions feel free to ask.
All skills are welcome here

lfod14

Reaction score

PM’s servers are in Switzerland.

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PM’s servers are in Switzerland.
I thought they once had servers in Panama. Many VPN services call Panama home. Its always been considered a lawless wasteland where the USD goes a loong way.

Reaction score
Interesting. I thought darknet was more popular than ever these days especially since the advent of privacy coins.

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought darknet was more popular than ever these days especially since the advent of privacy coins.

Oh, its popular. Its just not taken off with PED's as it has with other drugs. There is gear there, of course, but its not high on the list of things that are moving.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Yeah since silkroad alot of recreational drugs travel through the interwebs, PEDs do not have much of a profit margin compared to cocaine or designer drugs

*Didnt see post above