Ptsd

Gabriel

Reaction score
How many of us suffer from this growing killer..I totally understand if you don't want to share. I've been there too..My son has it from 2 tours in Afghanistan..I from a violent childhood.. It took many of my son's fellow soldiers after returning to the States..I have tried to end my life many times due to my demons.. The only thing that keeps them at bay is the Iron...I can leave it there and feel,I guess normal..And what is Normal?? Those of us that battle with this,often turn to unhealthy methods of coping..just to get that relief,freedom or being numb..I did and it took me to places I'm sad to admit..It destroyed my relationship with my parents,siblings,ex-wives...and countless friends.. Today it still rears its ugly head,just not as often... I'm not cured,doubt that's a thing..I deal better today but it's never far..sometimes it's triggered without me even knowing it.. Just thought there might be some of you out there that deal with this huge problem..

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Gabe. Hopefully your post helps others suffering know that they aren’t alone.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Gabe. Hopefully your post helps others suffering know that they aren’t alone.

I agree. I'm all for talking about mental health issues out in the open. Too often society stigmatizes and people suffer in silence.

Being in recovery for alcoholism/addiction has made me sympathetic to the plights of many, no matter what they are recovering from.

DOOM

Reaction score
I agree. I'm all for talking about mental health issues out in the open. Too often society stigmatizes and people suffer in silence.

Being in recovery for alcoholism/addiction has made me sympathetic to the plights of many, no matter what they are recovering from.
You nailed it man! I’ve personally been through everything you mentioned. We’re all in this together.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I can't speak for myself as I have not suffered with this affliction, but what I can say is that people (scientists) have came a LONG way with the studies on PTSD. There will always be naysayers in the crowd, mostly either the uninformed, the flaccid non-military anti war type, or just your run of the mill know it all fuks, I'm sure you know the breed of who I speak.
A lot of resources, and people willing to help is growing at a great clip. I have family that suffer from this and have had to move them along with a cattle prod to research the many outlets there are now to get help. I hope you, and your son can explore some of the help resources.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I suffer from it...I will say it can be beaten though. But you have to be one strong sum bitch mentally. It likes to flare up when least expected tho.

I also will note ptsd doesn't just come from military folks..car wrecks or other traumatic experience can trigger a lifetime of this stuff. To anyone suffering im truly sorry but don't give up its not worth it!

Gabriel

Reaction score
Totally right..anything that causes trauma,mentally or physical can cause PTSD..many people suffer from it and aren't even aware..Others are nearly crippled by it..Most of the time it goes without being addressed and festers..

Reaction score
Hey Gabriel, PTSD is a real thing and a real problem. I dont suffer from a severe case if it by any means but i do have it. The one thing I have found is yes the iron helps keep it at bay and training hard with the right tunes in your ears is a get-away from it. However that getaway is temporary. Talking to someone about it and going into detail has helped. The more I realized I wasn't alone in the fight the stronger I felt. There's not just me vs PTSD, but its us vs it. Even though we're newly acquainted my inbox is open.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Thanks New Brother...totally agree solitude and PTSD=disaster... I started this thread to let the one's struggling with it or know someone hurting,they are not alone..

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Good thread Gabe ... hopefully for you and potentially for many others. Makes a strong argument as well for paying close attention to the effects "our" chemicals may have on us. Sides are not just about gyno, bacne, and night sweats ... they might include abject misery or suicide in someone who was otherwise managing his ptsd successfully.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Yeah I found out Drol and PTSD don't play nice...That old saying..If you were an A-hole before gear... you'll just be a bigger one On..

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Been in denial for years I had PTSD my girl is always telling me I do but I’ve been coming to terms with the fact that I do after a night last night i woke up with my pistol in my hand screaming. Scared the **** out of my girl, I’ve also grabbed her neck dead ass asleep before (I don’t get violent with her ever),
talking about some things I’ve witnessed help but it’s also hard to talk to certain people about some things

Gabriel

Reaction score
For the most of us caught in this web,taking about it can be bitter sweet..At one point it helps while the other,remembering causes pain,fear or a thousand other emotions..I never find any good in remembering.. without any memories prior to age 10,dreams,flashes or even certain words takes me to dark places.. Isolation is the biggest killer.. Whatever we feel or wish to recall only has power over us if we'll let it.. but being alone in this fight,we are not..It wants you to think that.. Don't

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
The opposite of any mental affliction (depression, anxiety, addiction...) is connection to others - deep, genuine connection to at least someone. Additionally, PTSD treatment has seen a huge amount of progress. EMDR is especially effective along with certain service/therapy animals etc... everyone has their demons and it's important that our society recognizes that men especially are struggling with mental issues too - we need to cultivate a culture where it's okay to discuss these things.

New Threads