Need input on shoulder injury....

Reaction score
OK GENTS, So here it is. We've all had an injury and often times not have a clue as to how it happened. So here my scenario, solid week of training. Monday chest and tris, Tuesday core, Wednesday back and bis, Thursday off, Friday heavy leg day. Saturday and Sunday cardio due to being out of town. So Monday comes back around and were hitting flat bench. Get a good stretch in and some light 10 and 15 dumbell warm up routines and bands. Feel fine, then hop on the bench for 135 warm up set. First rep down fine, up and solid pain through the left shoulder( nondiminant) and couldn't tell if it was muscle or joint pain. Tried to push through and just ridiculous pain. Pain simmered down and was able to go up in weight but less steady than normal. I did some seated row to see if I had pain on a pulling motion and 0 pain. Feels almost like possible rear delt, but not sure. Anyone else experience this, if so what are your ideas. I know I could see a Dr, but the VA isn't seeing patients bc of covid and what not. THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION IN THIS NOVEL LOL

Gabriel

Reaction score
Well always try the basics 1st
Ice,anti inflammatories,hot bath,bio freeze
I'm sure ex-military your used to acute injuries..stop whatever causes pain..
If it still persist after everything..Dr. time..

Reaction score
Yeah, ive been doing all of the above including band exercises, nothing helping yet. Bench, Flys, and shoulder press are what aggravate it.

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
Time to get away from that barbell and straight to dumbbells. Shoulder injuries are number one in the gym. 90 percent of the time, they are from POOR FORM on the bench. learn to bench with you elbows in and not flared out.

There are some great bench form videos out there. good luck and hope you heal up.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Get up on the internet and google how a Dr. checks for Rotator Cuff tears. There's about 5 different movements you can try on your own. Don't rule out a labrum tear.

Side note: Never push through pain. That's your body telling you something. Pushing like that can take a partial tear to a complete rupture.

Reaction score
Time to get away from that barbell and straight to dumbbells. Shoulder injuries are number one in the gym. 90 percent of the time, they are from POOR FORM on the bench. learn to bench with you elbows in and not flared out.

There are some great bench form videos out there. good luck and hope you heal up.

Funny you should mention that, that is the plan now. Going straight to dumbells for a while. Gunna keep using bands to work stability

Reaction score
Get up on the internet and google how a Dr. checks for Rotator Cuff tears. There's about 5 different movements you can try on your own. Don't rule out a labrum tear.

Side note: Never push through pain. That's your body telling you something. Pushing like that can take a partial tear to a complete rupture.

I hate to admit your right, only because all my years in the military we push through pain and keep going. Its a habit now more so than ever and your absolutely right. Especially im pushing weight injavent touched in 5-7 years. Thanks for that insight snake!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I hate to admit your right, only because all my years in the military we push through pain and keep going. Its a habit now more so than ever and your absolutely right. Especially im pushing weight injavent touched in 5-7 years. Thanks for that insight snake!

Like I tell Mrs. Snake, I'm always right, you just may not realize it at the time. lol

In the military, you learn to push through those pain signals because if you don't , you could end up dead. The same preservation takes place in the gym but here "Stop" is what keeps you alive.

My SOP for this is what Gab recommended. If you really fuuked something up, you maybe going under the knife.

Reaction score
Like I tell Mrs. Snake, I'm always right, you just may not realize it at the time. lol

In the military, you learn to push through those pain signals because if you don't , you could end up dead. The same preservation takes place in the gym but here "Stop" is what keeps you alive.

My SOP for this is what Gab recommended. If you really fuuked something up, you maybe going under the knife.

I did just make an appointment for a chiropractor for adjusting and x-rays on the shoulders. They don't cheaper lol. And if he can pop and fix me great. I should have some better insight into the issues

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As snake already mentioned. Never push through pain in the gym. If you tweak something, stop and call it a day on that body part. Other wise it could set you back weeks or months while trying to heal a major injury from what could have been very minor if stopped in time.
Imo..id adapt and work around your injury for now. Stop bench press, shoulder press and any other exercise that causes any pain and let it heal. Keep your shoulder stretched and loose everyday.
I've personally worked through some shoulder injuries in the past where it eventually healed fine and I'm back to normal. One time I remembered it took a few months.
If you take the time to allow it to heal, then start back with light weight for a 2 or 3 weeks or so. Its possible you could bounce back to normal without making it a more serious injury.

Reaction score
As snake already mentioned. Never push through pain in the gym. If you tweak something, stop and call it a day on that body part. Other wise it could set you back weeks or months while trying to heal a major injury from what could have been very minor if stopped in time.
Imo..id adapt and work around your injury for now. Stop bench press, shoulder press and any other exercise that causes any pain and let it heal. Keep your shoulder stretched and loose everyday.
I've personally worked through some shoulder injuries in the past where it eventually healed fine and I'm back to normal. One time I remembered it took a few months.
If you take the time to allow it to heal, then start back with light weight for a 2 or 3 weeks or so. Its possible you could bounce back to normal without making it a more serious injury.

Yeah im in agreement with you and snake. Thanks a ton. Different perception from guys here than the normal people I know. No one else in my circle really lifts out had this life style

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
I should have added "Warm ups" for extended periods of times are a necessity when entering your/our age.

My workouts my take a little longer, but I don't even touch a weight till I'm breaking sweat from warming up these days.

Miamiking

Reaction score
I had a shoulder injury with my left shoulder and didn't let it heal long enough then while doing pushups it just gave out and my face smacked the floor and shoulder was in pain, it just gave out. As MUCH time as possible because if you make it worse it will take WAY longer to heal. SHoulder injuries are fragile from what I experienced.

New Threads