For those that do not have weights at home during the shutdown..? (ideas)

Miamiking

Reaction score
I am interested to hear some creations some of you may have some up with while gyms were shutdown during covid. I am referring to creating free weights out of objects around the house etc and also any other creative ways you were help to get a good work out that is equivalent to a good low rep high weight free weight workout.
It's amazing things I have seen done with pillow cases and bags of sand in the past. This is if you don't have weights at home obviously. Would like to get some ideas in case this happens again here soon.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We used to use manhole covers on a barbell.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Sandbags for sure are the most versatile. You can use all different size bags and go damn heavy.

Reaction score
Grab a bunch of different resistance bands. I LOVE bands. Get the strongest ones for assisted pull-ups. Get those with the fancy handles. Get em all. I have found uses for all of them on their respective isolated days.
before I built my own gym and put it together, I used nothing but bands. Highly possible to gain, I assure you man.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
I have a thread from this past summer you can find. Outdoor playgrounds will keep ya going.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
5 gallon buckets of water work really well for single arm curls.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Like what has already been said... bands. You should be training with bands + chains when you in the gym too.

Miamiking

Reaction score
Grab a bunch of different resistance bands. I LOVE bands. Get the strongest ones for assisted pull-ups. Get those with the fancy handles. Get em all. I have found uses for all of them on their respective isolated days.
before I built my own gym and put it together, I used nothing but bands. Highly possible to gain, I assure you man.

Ah yes! and if you don't have any bands you could just use another pers. on and a sheet having the other person pull for resistance (e.g. tricep pull downs)

I'd like to hear some more, great ideas

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
In the interest of bringing something new to the table...weighted vest.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be better. Truth be told, from a fitness standpoint, a weighted vest will increase your vo2 max faster than anything else you could do in the gym, outside of maybe HIIT.

I do all of my cardio in a plate carrier...to get in shape, and to indicate to anyone who sees me that I am infinitely better than they are and tactical and shit. Real alpha male stuff. Tacti-bragging. I actually bought AR550 plates that can withstand a short gau-8 avenger cannon burst and weighed way to ****ing much JUST to jog like a operator. Real navy Seal shit. I know a guy who knows a seal anyway. Which is to say I can say I am a seal with a low likelihood of getting caught. Chicks will believe anything. Just say "it's classified" if they ask something you don't know. But they won't ask, because you're JOGGING IN ARMOR. Who'd do that? 75th Delta seals....that's who.

Pushups, pullups, reverse pushups (bodyweight rows), lunges, crunches, headstand pushups (not recommended...you weak nerd), etc. Hell, anything is hard as shit if you wear enough weight.

You all can play with your office rubber bands or your chains...but me? I'm wearing a vest. And when I get shot for lying to somebody's girlfriend about being a seal...I'll have a decent probability of survival. The only shot you'll take with that band is straight to your nuts putting your legs through it for assisted pullups.

Jol-team six: approved.

Miamiking

Reaction score

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be better. Truth be told, from a fitness standpoint, a weighted vest will increase your vo2 max faster than anything else you could do in the gym, outside of maybe HIIT.

I do all of my cardio in a plate carrier...to get in shape, and to indicate to anyone who sees me that I am infinitely better than they are and tactical and shit. Real alpha male stuff. Tacti-bragging. I actually bought AR550 plates that can withstand a short gau-8 avenger cannon burst and weighed way to ****ing much JUST to jog like a operator. Real navy Seal shit. I know a guy who knows a seal anyway. Which is to say I can say I am a seal with a low likelihood of getting caught. Chicks will believe anything. Just say "it's classified" if they ask something you don't know. But they won't ask, because you're JOGGING IN ARMOR. Who'd do that? 75th Delta seals....that's who.

Pushups, pullups, reverse pushups (bodyweight rows), lunges, crunches, headstand pushups (not recommended...you weak nerd), etc. Hell, anything is hard as shit if you wear enough weight.

You all can play with your office rubber bands or your chains...but me? I'm wearing a vest. And when I get shot for lying to somebody's girlfriend about being a seal...I'll have a decent probability of survival. The only shot you'll take with that band is straight to your nuts putting your legs through it for assisted pullups.

I created a weighted backpack out of a mesh net bag, pillow case and sand that I can wear for weighted pushups, all kinds of stuff, it works awesome. so a weighted vest would probably be just as effective.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I created a weighted backpack out of a mesh net bag, pillow case and sand that I can wear for weighted pushups, all kinds of stuff, it works awesome. so a weighted vest would probably be just as effective.

Sure from a fitness standpoint, it'd be just as effective--probably more since you made it with love. Studies show that a 10% increased load significantly increases VO2 max in as little as 4 weeks. Speaking of loads--a plate carrier is so alpha, it's like having 3 dicks.

If all you're worrying about is abs and muscles, though, I'm sure any added weight will suffice.

Just carry a BB gun, and say you're in the air force, I guess. And don't cock block me. Or else.

Hooyah.

Hooba

Reaction score
Sandbags, cement blocks, bands, a wife to sit on your back for pushups. two buckets with a pole to run on your back for squats and for light high rep deadlifts..... If there is weight to it then it can be a workout!!!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Get an axe, find a big log, get to chopping. Alternate sides.

Find some heavy rocks, carry those fukkers around your yard, toss them over your shoulder, squat holding them, lunge holding them, press them over your head, throw them.

Go behind a bar/restaurant. Many leave empty kegs out back. Easy to open, half fill with sand or water. Odd object training.

BrotherIron

Reaction score

Agree to disagree with this. A weighted baby bib won't make your stronger, faster, bigger, etc. It will make you look like one one of those Crossfiters who want to drink their miller lite, with their head band, and matching outfits.

I can take that band and use a schedule 80 pvc pipe and perform a multitude of movements... ie. rows, GM's, RDLs, OHP, bicep curls, leg curls, leg extensions, etc. You're only limited by your imagination. You want a cheap way to perform conditioning... run stadiums. Don't have a stadium? Run hills. Everyone has access to that. Sprint up and then walk down. Hell go to HomeDepot and buy a wheelbarrow and put bags of cement, rocks, dirt, etc. in it and push it up a hill. Hell, attach a I bolt to the bag of cement (after you get it wet so it hardens) and you have a super cheap sled you can perform sled drags, runs, etc.

I guess it depends on whether you wanna look cool with matching shit or you wanna get shit done. I'm not looking to impress anyone...

Reaction score
There is a guy I work with who made a few set of DB and plates that he couldn't find due to COVID sales of home gym equipment skyrocketing. He used scrap rebar from our site for the grips and created a few forms that he filled with concrete to create the heads. Typical sakrete weighs .087lbs per cubic inch. Knowing what weight you want, you can then do the calculations to determine the amount of concrete to use. For plates, he used a 5 gallon bucket and place an 2.25 ID pipe in the center and poured the desire amount around it. If you have the time and dedication to do something like this, I commend you.

He painted them black and they actually look decent. I will see if I can't get a picture from him and post them here.

Another thing I have seen being done is the use of water cooler jugs. A gallon of water weights 8.34lbs. Fill to the desired weight.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Agree to disagree with this. A weighted baby bib won't make your stronger, faster, bigger, etc. It will make you look like one one of those Crossfiters who want to drink their miller lite, with their head band, and matching outfits.

I can take that band and use a schedule 80 pvc pipe and perform a multitude of movements... ie. rows, GM's, RDLs, OHP, bicep curls, leg curls, leg extensions, etc. You're only limited by your imagination. You want a cheap way to perform conditioning... run stadiums. Don't have a stadium? Run hills. Everyone has access to that. Sprint up and then walk down. Hell go to HomeDepot and buy a wheelbarrow and put bags of cement, rocks, dirt, etc. in it and push it up a hill. Hell, attach a I bolt to the bag of cement (after you get it wet so it hardens) and you have a super cheap sled you can perform sled drags, runs, etc.

I guess it depends on whether you wanna look cool with matching shit or you wanna get shit done. I'm not looking to impress anyone...

That has got to be the most COAST GUARD thing I've ever heard.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
That has got to be the most COAST GUARD thing I've ever heard.

If you say so... I'm from down South. We don't care about looking good. We only care about results. But than again, I'm not trying to impress a chick by talking about lifting and pulling my shirt up to show my abs, lol.

Reaction score
Sure from a fitness standpoint, it'd be just as effective--probably more since you made it with love. Studies show that a 10% increased load significantly increases VO2 max in as little as 4 weeks. Speaking of loads--a plate carrier is so alpha, it's like having 3 dicks.

If all you're worrying about is abs and muscles, though, I'm sure any added weight will suffice.

Just carry a BB gun, and say you're in the air force, I guess. And don't cock block me. Or else.

Hooyah.

These posts are not getting nearly as much attention as they deserve. This shit is amazing. I want to wear a vest now simply for the feeling of having 3 dicks