Any vegetarians here?

Reaction score
My wife is wanting to go to a vegetarian diet and I am considering trying it out with her. I have been looking at some recommendations to transition. What I have found so far is:

Start transitioning slowly
Keep a close eye on protein
Fortified foods for b12
Supplement iron, D, and B12 if needed

Are there anymore recommendations that I should consider or anything I might need to know?

Thanks

DOOM

Reaction score
My wife is wanting to go to a vegetarian diet and I am considering trying it out with her. I have been looking at some recommendations to transition. What I have found so far is:

Start transitioning slowly
Keep a close eye on protein
Fortified foods for b12
Supplement iron, D, and B12 if needed

Are there anymore recommendations that I should consider or anything I might need to know?

Thanks
I’m the only vegetarian that I know of here.I haven’t eaten animal flesh in 10 years or my entire anabolic career. Seven years vegan, three years vegetarian.

I will say this when most people look at vegans and vegetarian and think they just don’t understand what it’s like to eat and fish or that they miss it and are jealous. That’s ridiculous if I missed eating it I would be eating it right now. I was a sous chef fine dining for 10 years. I can butcher any fish or animal and loved my days of eating meat. A lot of great memories!!

Try and look at it in a simple way. You
can pretty much eat everything you eat now but exclude the meat or fish. Bang! Sounds simple but how are you going to get your protein? This is the part where the sacrifice comes in.

Most of my protein comes from eggs and egg whites.’I mean a lot of them twice everyday. Then obviously whey isolate smoothies. Right now I am using ON performance isolate. Good shit @ 30g protein a scoop. I’ll use 3-4 a day blended with oats, banana, peanuts butter and protein fortified flax seed milk.

You have the option to add vegan and vegetarian meat substitutes in place of meat. I’ll be honest there are some good one out there but you have to experiment and some don’t taste to good.

You will have to get used them or exclude them all together. I still use them occasionally but they are a little too processed for my liking.

I am not sure if you know what complete proteins are? I am sure you do. They are rare in the vegan/ vegetarian world. Soy is the big one and is great in moderation. Another is quinoa and buck wheat, hemp is very close.

Anyway a complete protein is when all 9 essential amino acids are formed. Combining two incomplete vegan or vegetarian proteins together forms a complete protein.

A few examples are almond butter and whole wheat bread. Both already contain a good amount of protein.
Another big one rice and beans or hummus and ww pita.
i could go on and on.

My advice would be to start off using soy, tempeh, pea protein based meat replacements to start.These products are very comparable protein wise to the animal counter parts.Yes most are complete.

Also start eating small healthy snacks throughout the day that mixing food to make complete proteins. My favorites are Brown rice cakes, almond butter and berries. Another is Greek yogurt with hemp seeds and honey. Then of course PBJ!

DOOM

Reaction score
Don’t listen to the ignorant meathead comments. I am almost 50 years old and a vegetarian/plant based diet has most certainly kept me lean and healthy.

Reaction score
I recommend you talk some sense into your wife.

Ha I dare you to try...she is quite stubborn! In all seriousness, she just recovered from breast cancer and is petrified of recurrence. She has heard a vegetarian diet MAY decrease the risk. She also has a lot of cardiovascular problems in her family that concern her. If this is what makes her comfortable and feel better, then I am all for it and thinking of trying it with her to show support.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’m the only vegetarian that I know of here.I haven’t eaten animal flesh in 10 years or my entire anabolic career. Seven years vegan, three years vegetarian.

I will say this when most people look at vegans and vegetarian and think they just don’t understand what it’s like to eat and fish or that they miss it and are jealous. That’s ridiculous if I missed eating it I would be eating it right now. I was a sous chef fine dining for 10 years. I can butcher any fish or animal and loved my days of eating meat. A lot of great memories!!

can pretty much eat everything you eat now but exclude the meat or fish. Bang! Sounds simple but how are you going to get your protein? This is the part where the sacrifice comes in.

Most of my protein comes from eggs and egg whites.’I mean a lot of them twice everyday. Then obviously whey isolate smoothies. Right now I am using ON performance isolate. Good shit @ 30g protein a scoop. I’ll use 3-4 a day blended with oats, banana, peanuts butter and protein fortified flax seed milk.

You have the option to add vegan and vegetarian meat substitutes in place of meat. I’ll be honest there are some good one out there but you have to experiment and some don’t taste to good.

You will have to get used them or exclude them all together. I still use them occasionally but they are a little too processed for my liking.

I am not sure if you know what complete proteins are? I am sure you do. They are rare in the vegan/ vegetarian world. Soy is the big one and is great in moderation. Another is quinoa and buck wheat, hemp is very close.

Anyway a complete protein is when all 9 essential amino acids are formed. Combining two incomplete vegan or vegetarian proteins together forms a complete protein.

A few examples are almond butter and whole wheat bread. Both already contain a good amount of protein.
i could go on and on.

My advice would be to start off using soy, tempeh, pea protein based meat replacements to start.These products are very comparable protein wise to the animal counter parts.Yes most are complete.

Also start eating small healthy snacks throughout the day that mixing food to make complete proteins. My favorites are Brown rice cakes, almond butter and berries. Another is Greek yogurt with hemp seeds and honey. Then of course PBJ!

Good information here.

Would you please tell us:

Why you are vegetarian
The key benefits you’ve seen from excluding meat/fish.
Why you stopped being vegan
About the transition from vegan to vegetarian (and why) How did it effect you?

Sounds like you consume a lot of carbs. Do you know your approximate macro split and daily calories?

Reaction score

i could go on and on.

Doom,
Thank you for this. I am familiar with the complete proteins and from what I have researched, there seems to be 10 main ones for a vegetarian/vegan diet. This defiantly helps and is much appreciated. If you don't mind, I may hit you up with any other questions I run across. I don't know anyone locally who is to discuss this with.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do vegetarians eat pussy? Just wondering.

DOOM

Reaction score
Good information here.

Would you please tell us:

Why you are vegetarian
The key benefits you’ve seen from excluding meat/fish.
Why you stopped being vegan
About the transition from vegan to vegetarian (and why) How did it effect you?

Sounds like you consume a lot of carbs. Do you know your approximate macro split and daily calories?

Damn Jin!

I became vegan because of a life crises! I needed a change in my lifestyle. I needed discipline and structure. It’s something I always wanted to do but couldn’t commit.

I was and still am a foodie. I was a sous chef at some really nice restaurants for over 10 years. To this day I still know how to perfectly butcher most animals and fish.

I love food and have traveled all over the world eating as much weird shit as possible. Then one day I just had enough. I was over it! It’s mostly for health reasons and my own personal ethical reasons.

I feel better all around. I have a lot more energy, better digestion, no guilt and no more meat sweats! Lol, JK

I had absolutely no side effects from switching from vegan to eating eggs and dairy again.

My macros vary from being on TRT to my present cruise too being on blast.

My current cruise macros are listed below. I just started my cruise yesterday. My plan is to slowly increase cals, carbs and protein over the next 4 months.

3300 cals
250g protein
300g carbs
120g fat

Dude I’m stoned!!
You caught me off guard. :32 (14):

Last edited:

DOOM

Reaction score
Doom,
Thank you for this. I am familiar with the complete proteins and from what I have researched, there seems to be 10 main ones for a vegetarian/vegan diet. This defiantly helps and is much appreciated. If you don't mind, I may hit you up with any other questions I run across. I don't know anyone locally who is to discuss this with.
I enjoy helping people and sharing my experiences being vegan/vegetarian.

Your more then welcome to ask me as many questions as you would like. I’m also more then happy share recipes or meal ideas.

I have more good memories being a carnivore then being vegan/vegetarian then again 38 years vs 10 years what would you expect? Change is good and it doesn’t have to be permanent. Who knows what the future holds?

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
The only thing I bring up with vegetarians is remember the human body runs on the all or nothing principle when it comes to protein synthesis. This means you have to have a complete protein for synthesis to occur. Hence the term "all or nothing". The body doesn't store partial proteins for a later date.

So just keep that in mind. Make sure you know to pair things correctly.

Reaction score
I enjoy helping people and sharing my experiences being vegan/vegetarian.

Your more then welcome to ask me as many questions as you would like. I’m also more then happy share recipes or meal ideas.

I have more good memories being a carnivore then being vegan/vegetarian then again 38 years vs 10 years what would you expect? Change is good and it doesn’t have to be permanent. Who knows what the future holds?

Im sure there will be times I will miss it, but I think it will be easier on us if we are nothing doing it. I will most certainly be hitting you up for recipes and meal ideas. I don't think she is looking at long term unless she sees real improvements, but if this is what helps relieve her stress while in the first part of remission...I am all for it and I don't necessarily see a down side for me to do it with her.

The only thing I bring up with vegetarians is remember the human body runs on the all or nothing principle when it comes to protein synthesis. This means you have to have a complete protein for synthesis to occur. Hence the term "all or nothing". The body doesn't store partial proteins for a later date.

Thank you BrotherIron...I will make sure to do more research on the correct pairings before jumping in.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

And when something is a COMPLETE protein, it could very well be lacking in one or more of the essential aminos. Just because it has all of them, doesn't necessarily mean there's ENOUGH of them.

It shouldn't be an issue though if your pair foods well, and eat a wide variety of them. Get a good vegan protein powder though, as suggested previously, to help with any possible issues.

I've heard often that it's a good idea for vegans to get 1.25x the amount of protein that they'd normally consume if they were on a regular omnivorous diet. Again, this is because of the complete proteins issue. If you are still going to eat dairy, fish, and/or eggs, you're probably fine though.

Reaction score
And when something is a COMPLETE protein, it could very well be lacking in one or more of the essential aminos. Just because it has all of them, doesn't necessarily mean there's ENOUGH of them.

It shouldn't be an issue though if your pair foods well, and eat a wide variety of them. Get a good vegan protein powder though, as suggested previously, to help with any possible issues.

I've heard often that it's a good idea for vegans to get 1.25x the amount of protein that they'd normally consume if they were on a regular omnivorous diet. Again, this is because of the complete proteins issue. If you are still going to eat dairy, fish, and/or eggs, you're probably fine though.

Thank you CJ. I have heard this too. As I am not going full vegan, I will not to cutting the eggs and dairy. It is just me and her switching and I am wanting my kids to remain with the diet they are at, so I feel this is an easier way as mornings are already hectic and eggs are my go.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thank you CJ. I have heard this too. As I am not going full vegan, I will not to cutting the eggs and dairy. It is just me and her switching and I am wanting my kids to remain with the diet they are at, so I feel this is an easier way as mornings are already hectic and eggs are my go.

A plus side on vegetarian dishes, you'll be eating so many more different types of foods, nutrients galore, and they taste good.

My lady went on a vegetarian kick awhile back, we had vegetarian dinner day once per week. Everything was good, but she fell in love with curry.

Miamiking

Reaction score

i could go on and on.

Great info, I have been thinking about becoming a pescatarian , but it would be hard for me to give up fish. Do you eat strictly organic fruits and veggies or anything that's vegan? Do you feel different ? if so, how?

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I eat animal's tht are vegetarian! Thts about as far as tht goes!!!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’ve eaten some vegetarians back in the day.

Pretty earthy, sometimes crunchy, always a bit weird.