Does anyone here surf?

Miamiking

Reaction score
Just curious, any surfers here? I am down here in FL, and remember trying to learn to surf to be one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done. Granted I tried to learn in waves from a hurricane but paddling out takes tremendous endurance.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When on vacation at a spot where I can, yes.

The amount of saltwater u drink learning is great too. But work out wise the under tow and rip tide kick your ass

It’s exhausting, paddling out n ducking waves is hard work

DOOM

Reaction score
Yup, My first wave was in ocean city New Jersey. Nowadays most of my surfing is done in other countries. .,Brazil, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Sri Lanka.

I’ve never been to Cali. I hear it’s cold! speaking of which it’s snowboarding season here in Colorado.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Only the tv and the internet... no waves lol

Reactions: CJ

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just curious, any surfers here? I am down here in FL, and remember trying to learn to surf to be one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done. Granted I tried to learn in waves from a hurricane but paddling out takes tremendous endurance.
I was in my 20's when I gave it a shot. The board seemed way to long and I couldn't get out far enough to give it a go. I was in Florida at Cocoa Beach.

Yup, My first wave was in ocean city New Jersey. Nowadays most of my surfing is done in other countries. .,Brazil, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Sri Lanka.
I’ve never been to Cali. I hear it’s cold! speaking of which it’s snowboarding season here in Colorado.
My son flew into Colorado today with his gf, my granddaughter, and my ex-wife. My ex is going to babysit while the 2 of them snowboard. I ski and live in Cali now but grew up in the North East. Learned to ski in Vermont at Okemo and Killington. My father and uncle owned a sporting good store that had a big ski shop so I got to ski for free. Sharpen and wax my ski's before heading up. Great memories.
Tried snowboarding once on a demo day. This was back in the early 90's when it was just getting popular back east. Snowboarders were not liked. Always getting in our way! I spent that day on my ass. My backside, wrist and hands had never been so sore. Couldn't wait to get my skis underneath me!

DOOM

Reaction score
I was in my 20's when I gave it a shot. The board seemed way to long and I couldn't get out far enough to give it a go. I was in Florida at Cocoa Beach.

My son flew into Colorado today with his gf, my granddaughter, and my ex-wife. My ex is going to babysit while the 2 of them snowboard. I ski and live in Cali now but grew up in the North East. Learned to ski in Vermont at Okemo and Killington. My father and uncle owned a sporting good store that had a big ski shop so I got to ski for free. Sharpen and wax my ski's before heading up. Great memories.
Tried snowboarding once on a demo day. This was back in the early 90's when it was just getting popular back east. Snowboarders were not liked. Always getting in our way! I spent that day on my ass. My backside, wrist and hands had never been so sore. Couldn't wait to get my skis underneath me!
Hell year brother Kelly Slater is from cocoa beach. One of the greatest surfers to ever live!

I went to Breckenridge on Wednesday. I started snowboarding in the late 80’s.in the northeast as well. I first started riding at Jack Frost, camel back and hunter mountain in NY. I’ve been to Killington and Stratton a few times. The only two mountains on the east coast to have a gondola’s at the time.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It’s been years for me but I do. I know it’s not the same but we have a wake boat and wakesurf behind it. Lake is like 5 minutes from the house

Miamiking

Reaction score

Not to far from where I first surfed, Palm beach. Almost drowned in a rip tide. Tried to learn in waves from a hurricane at my college roommates lead, rough day.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
have surfed a bit but mostly boogie boarding

started in 1980 & have boogied at beaches from san diego to santa cruze

favorite spot is 10th street laguna beach next up is salt creek in dana point

New Threads