What makes you lift?

Gabriel

Reaction score
A lot of New guys,so I'm going to share this again..

Changing into swim trunks after a killer WO in the crowded locker room..this guy was danger close..when I finished he told me..
"You have nice body"..I quickly replied,"I'm going to give you that one due to don't speak English very well"..."but not cool".

Reaction score
I’ve always played sports and working out just came along with the territory and luckily it has just become a routine.

Big Mikey

Reaction score
When I was a kid I was obsessed with Godzilla & Battleships, two symbols of ungodly massive power if ever there were any. I had the old cheapie cement weight sets on and off from my teens to my 20's before I joined a gym in the mid 80's. I bought a book by Arnold Schwarzenegger (who else could you trust in those days) learned all the exercises & started pounding the weights. Within a year I had gained some quality mass & looked drastically different than I had previously. That had a profound impact on me. I stayed at it until 2017, when my hip joints went bad from intravascular coagulation of the joints. I've since had both hip replaced & now I'm waiting for COVID to subside so I can go back to hitting it hard. At my age a little PED cocktail's going to have to be in the mix. I've quite knowledgeable on the subject & know what to do. My PEDS knowledge base is why I'm always dissuading young bros on here from using them. My motto is no PEDS until you're older and hit the natural impasse, like 30's-40's. That's the prime PEDS years IMO.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
I'll leave the short version here, and make an intro in another post.

Started powerlifting in highschool, ran into injuries, now only occasionally train for health and aesthetics

BrotherIron

Reaction score
What got me into lifting initially? That's easy to answer... several doctors telling me I would never play sports again or even walk without the use of an aid. Somewhere along the way the hatred used to fuel my PT sessions for years turned into a love for the iron and how it made me feel... what I was able to accomplish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got sick and tired of not being able to open the pickle jar....then got hooked. Now it is more stress relief and enjoyment.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I was skinny with a huge pecker. It was Very shocking to those who saw me necked. Scared to many bishes away. Plus pretty awkward when on the beach with a speedo. Lifting helped balance things out size wise

Wish I'd said that.

I was just skinny as a teenager; father bought me a set of weights and out to the garage we went. Many years later, many gyms in between, I have my own garage gym due to the economic/political side effects of COVID. Nowadays, my wife yells at me if I don't get out there and use it ... seems I'm taking up space she could be using for her "crafts" supplies.

Reaction score
I had severe anger issues for most of my life. I wound up in MMA and I noticed I had pretty good genetics. It was all downhill from there. I couldn’t stop. I did this for the chicks at first. Then got married and realized, I NEED this. Therapy. It relieves my anguished soul from the cares of the world. I just go an press it out man. I feel like I’m about to explode on my days off. I’m just being honest. It helps me keep control. Now I share it with other children. My kids have anger issues. It helps them practice discipline.

Chump16

Reaction score
I was skinny with a huge pecker. It was Very shocking to those who saw me necked. Scared to many bishes away. Plus pretty awkward when on the beach with a speedo. Lifting helped balance things out size wise

straight from the heart brother ....... appreciate you bearing your soul to the board

andy

Elite
Reaction score
to lose some weight and be slim.
Now... I don't ****ing even know what the hell I'm doing at the gym, why im there

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I only use the mirrors if I am not able to see my overall form; never really tried having having a conversation with it....LOL

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I got sick and tired of not being able to open the pickle jar....then got hooked. Now it is more stress relief and enjoyment.

You know if you hit the bottom of the pickle jar with your hand , you can break the seal with little effort. More brain ; less braun

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score

LOL You broke the stereotype!

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Always enjoyed the gym. It's that euphoria you feel when you progress but I had gotten lazy and out of it for a while. Wife got up to her No-No weight, by her definition, and started hot and heavy for the first time ever so i jumped on board and now we do it together and it's turned into a family thing. Me, the wife, 19 yo daughter(not officially adopted but she is ours for sure), 19 yo son and 16 yo son. All with different goals but all want to progress. We try to hit the gym at the same time as the others as much as possible

Reaction score
Always enjoyed the gym. It's that euphoria you feel when you progress but I had gotten lazy and out of it for a while. Wife got up to her No-No weight, by her definition, and started hot and heavy for the first time ever so i jumped on board and now we do it together and it's turned into a family thing. Me, the wife, 19 yo daughter(not officially adopted but she is ours for sure), 19 yo son and 16 yo son. All with different goals but all want to progress. We try to hit the gym at the same time as the others as much as possible
That’s so awesome man.

Reaction score
So that i don’t have to think about work. And during lifting - it is really alone time (i train in my home gym). Felt really good to have a time that no one will disturb me.

Of course as an older lifter, I wam hoping that it will prep for a quality old age :)