Homemade Shakes

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I've been using roughly a cup of oats in my protein shakes
Plain old Quaker Oats to be exact
My issue is that it's grainy/chalky as fuk
Is there a way you guys know how to make it more smooth?

My shakes are;
2cups Milk
1 cup Oats
1scoop protein
1 heaping tbsp Peanut Butter

I was thinking maybe cooking the oats before hand or just letting them soak in water to soften em up.

Or maybe adding a banana would help make it creamy

Any suggestions...

Last edited:

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Been doing 1cup of oat 30gs of protein,handful of blueberries, handful of kale,1tlbs of almond butter, squirt of honey & water! You gotta drink it right then! If you leave it sit,the oatmeal will swell!

lfod14

Reaction score
What are you using to blend them? I sometimes do almost that exact shake except mine uses almond milk and I put ice in mine, which may be the difference as all the ice bits are flying around acting like mixing balls until they're pulverized. Mine comes out pretty damn smooth. I stick mine in my Nutri Ninja and use the smoothie setting. I just stick my oat in there out of the tube but rinsing them may wash off some excess starch like it does when you rinse rice which could help.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I have a blendTech blender but usually I just hold the pulse button a few seconds until everything is blended.

Haven't really used the other options on it like the smoothie button
All it does is blend it for a predetermined amount of time. Figured it wasn't much of a difference between choosing an actual setting vs holding down the pulse button but I'll give that try and see if I notice a difference in smoothness of the shake.

DOOM

Reaction score
I have a blendTech blender but usually I just hold the pulse button a few seconds until everything is blended.

Haven't really used the other options on it like the smoothie button
All it does is blend it for a predetermined amount of time. Figured it wasn't much of a difference between choosing an actual setting vs holding down the pulse button but I'll give that try and see if I notice a difference in smoothness of the shake.
Why eat your oats when you can drink them? I love my blendtec Best $300 bucks I’ve ever spent.

I bought mine in 2014 and I’ve used it 6015 times!! Do the math on that! I use it if on smoothie mode when adding seeds, oats, or nuts.

One of go too smoothies

2 cups water
1 cup chocolate protein almond milk
1 cup of oats
1 tbsp almond butter
4 tbsp hemp seeds
1 1/2 scoops oF isolate
This ratio fills a 32 ounce shaker bottle perfectly. No lumps!

Last edited:

Sicwun88

Reaction score
What are you using to blend them? I sometimes do almost that exact shake except mine uses almond milk and I put ice in mine, which may be the difference as all the ice bits are flying around acting like mixing balls until they're pulverized. Mine comes out pretty damn smooth. I stick mine in my Nutri Ninja and use the smoothie setting. I just stick my oat in there out of the tube but rinsing them may wash off some excess starch like it does when you rinse rice which could help.

I use a ninja blender!
Forgot to add in my shake post! I buy bananas 10lbs at a time,
Peel them all ,
Put them in ziploc bags and freeze them!
Then add them to the shake instead of ice!

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I used the smoothie option on my blender and that pretty much solved it.

The chalkyness of the oats went from 8/10 (5sec hold on pulse) to a smooth 2/10 (40sec blend)

I could still taste a bit of grains here n there while swallowing but nothing compared to how it went down before.

I'll try that iced banana idea next time I go grocery shopping

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I actually cook and eat my oatmeal. Lol with some honey and cinnamon. I actually use a tiny crockpot to make my oatmeal overnight. Omg so delicious. Lazy bastards

Last edited:

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I actually cook and eat my oatmeal. Lol with some honey and cinnamon. I actually use a tiny crockpot to make my oatmeal overnight. Omg so delicious. Lazy bastards

Never in my life have i made a bowl of oatmeal worth eating lol
I might need to take a class

Chump16

Reaction score
Coconut milk
Frozen bananas
Protein Powder
Almond butter
Honey

DOOM

Reaction score
You could try using cream of wheat instead of oats as well. Better texture and it tends to digest easier and quicker for people.
Yeah I eat cream of brown rice pre workout sometimes. I’ll add 1/2 scoop of vanilla isolate and some blueberries. It sits and digests well.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
There's Bob's Red Mill
Tht makes an 8grain tht works well also!
A lot finer than regular oats!

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
milk
unflavored whey
ice & hot honey
(honey infused with chilies)

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Looks like you've already got the oat issue cleared up, JuiceTrain. I had this last night post workout and it was great.

11oz Fairlife Salted Caramel
1 cup liquid egg whites
a couple of pieces each of frozen mango, peach and pineapple

on smoothie setting

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score

New Threads