Losing oil in filter

Reaction score
So I've got a crapload of test-e 1ml ampules that I'd like to move into a 10ml sterile vials using a 0.22 micron filter. My issue is that the filter steals quite a bit in the process. Any way around this? I was thinking I could push the same volume of sterile oil through as that which was lost at the very end, can I use any sterile oil or does it have to be the same oil base of the test? Anyone have experience with this? If so, how much do you find a typical filter holds?

Thanks in advance.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
Im not educated in this, but I would assume the loss of oil is due to the filter absorbing oil. So I would think the filter absorbed its max amount of oil it can in the first use. You should use the same filter for each vile, then you wouldnt lose oil due to the filter absorbing it.

Hope this helps

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
You don't need to filter the oil if you're just transferring it from one sterile location to another lol

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
This reminds of a video I seen where some chick cooked ground beef and than rinsed it in water (after she cooked it)
And said...."This helps get out the fat" lmaooo

Reaction score
A cracked ampule isn’t the most sterile enviro, also plenty of opportunity for contamination during the transfer process. It’s not like I’m working in an iso 5 hood.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Are the vials cracked already (due to an accident or something)

Or are we talking about you cracking open a fresh vial in the moment to transfer

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Are the vials cracked already (due to an accident or something)

Or are we talking about you cracking open a fresh vial in the moment to transfer

Because if it's option 2 I'm telling you for a fact it's not that serious bruh

Your not gonna contaminate it within the 5seconds it takes to draw it

But if you just want a confirmation that filtering it is necessary than by all means go ahead if that'll make you feel secure about the process

And to answer your question, there is no way around you loosing oil if you choose to filter it.....which is unnecessary.....if its option 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sterile compounding is part of my job, maybe I’m a bit overly cautious about things but I do worry. I guess if I do 1 ampule at a time it may be better, even if it’s less efficient. What’s y’all fav method of heating the oil to thin it put a bit?

Last edited:

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I mean if you got a shxt ton of amps...personally I'd sterilize a beaker
Than just crack them bxtchs open 1by1, pour em in the beaker than use like 60ml syringe to transfer into individual vials

As for a heating method since your using the amps I'd throw em in the oven for a few minutes in this case

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sterile compounding is part of my job, maybe I’m a bit overly cautious about things but I do worry. I guess if I do 1 ampule at a time it may be better, even if it’s less efficient. What’s y’all fav method of heating the oil to thin it put a bit?
Hey brother I just proved you said your job is sterile compounding if so can pick your brain a little bit brother? If you don't mind what best kind of filter or filtration system to use for filtering large volumes?

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Syringe filter would be the easiest....

Reaction score
A good setup for large volumes would be a 0.22 micron syringe filter placed in-line behind a pump, let the pump do the work.

Unfortunately, in the hospital I work at I don't see a lot of this. Pretty much everything is sterile from the get-go. However, nursing uses in-line syringe filters to administer TPNs so I'd think a similar setup would be ideal.

Reaction score
A good setup for large volumes would be a 0.22 micron syringe filter placed in-line behind a pump, let the pump do the work.

Unfortunately, in the hospital I work at I don't see a lot of this. Pretty much everything is sterile from the get-go. However, nursing uses in-line syringe filters to administer TPNs so I'd think a similar setup would be ideal.
Na bro this isn't going to work. You can't use a syringe filter as a inline filter and you're definitely not doing large volumes with a syringe filter. You can do medium sized volume using a bunchner funnel hooked to a filtering flask and a vacuum pump but for large volume you need a perilastic pump and a Whatman polycap 36as capsule filter

Reaction score
Again, I'm not doing any of this as, when I have to compound, I work with sterile equipment in a sterile environment. However, nursing administers 2 liter TPN bags via an inline syringe filter (this is done over 24 hours, however so not sure what the rate limitations would be)
It sounds like you already know what you need.

Last edited:

lfod14

Reaction score
It's coming from sealed amps, why do you need to filter it?

Reaction score
Well, I wanted a dose in-between and didn’t want to waste any. Ultimately I said F-it and am now using direct from the amps��

New Threads