First Upper and Lower split

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
thats what I was imagining you would say. Hence why the past few weeks Iv made very little progress on the accessories. I’m still working hard but by accessories I’m already exhausted.its getting to the point after squats and deadlifts that I feel too tired to sit down on the machine let alone do the exercise lol

As your conditioning improves, both by doing the exercises and a little cardio, you'll be able to build upon your work capacity. Your tank is just empty after Squats and DLs. We'll make that tank bigger, so you can do more productive work.

As your aerobic system improves, you'll recover more quickly from bouts of exercise. I wasn't lying when I said the cardio wasn't to burn calories, but rather to give you the ability to have better workouts and build more muscle.

Last edited:

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
26/01

Today was one of those days where I thought I like being fat so why the hell do I bother. Really didn’t want to go. Hated every second. Neighbour wasted my time on the way and I smashed my iPhone screen because my new mask was covering part of my sight and dropped it.. all in all a craptabulous day.

26/01
Incline bench press 3x6 last failure
Warm up bar, 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps fail)

Machine rows 3x8 to failure
85kg (8 reps) 85kg (8 reps) 85kg (7 reps)

Machine chest press 3x8
65kg (8 reps) 70kg (8 reps) 70kg (5 reps fail)

Machine shoulder press 3x8/12
Seat position 6..
20kg (10 reps) 25kg (8 reps) 25kg (10 reps fail)

Machine pull down back 3x8/12 (vertical traction)
75kg (8 reps) 80kg (9 reps) 80kg (8 reps fail)

Cable flys 3x8
35kg (8 reps) 35kg (8 reps) 25kg (12 reps)

Cable Tris 3x10/15 (straight bar)
20kg (15 reps) 25kg (11 reps) 25kg (8 reps)

Dumbbell hammer curls 3x10/15
Cable hammer curls.
25kg (15 reps) 30kg (13 reps) 30kg (10 reps)

Cardio intensity 3
6 minutes

110.3kg

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Today was one of those days where I thought I like being fat so why the hell do I bother. Really didn’t want to go. Hated every second. Neighbour wasted my time on the way and I smashed my iPhone screen because my new mask was covering part of my sight and dropped it.. all in all a craptabulous day.

26/01
Incline bench press 3x6 last failure
Warm up bar, 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps fail)

Machine rows 3x8 to failure
85kg (8 reps) 85kg (8 reps) 85kg (7 reps)

Machine chest press 3x8
65kg (8 reps) 70kg (8 reps) 70kg (5 reps fail)

Machine shoulder press 3x8/12
Seat position 6..
20kg (10 reps) 25kg (8 reps) 25kg (10 reps fail)

Machine pull down back 3x8/12 (vertical traction)
75kg (8 reps) 80kg (9 reps) 80kg (8 reps fail)

Cable flys 3x8
35kg (8 reps) 35kg (8 reps) 25kg (12 reps)

Cable Tris 3x10/15 (straight bar)
20kg (15 reps) 25kg (11 reps) 25kg (8 reps)

Dumbbell hammer curls 3x10/15
Cable hammer curls.
25kg (15 reps) 30kg (13 reps) 30kg (10 reps)

Cardio intensity 3
6 minutes

110.3kg

Crap day. But you went to the gym. Imagine if you hadn’t. Good work man.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Bad days happen. Just be consistent. Only concern yourself with what you can control, don't worry about what you can't.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Bad days happen. Just be consistent. Only concern yourself with what you can control, don't worry about what you can't.

takes so much more willpower on the bad days though doesn’t it. I just wanted to stay home and sleep. Because of my schedule I tend to go after lunch as well and I’m always tired after lunch. Anyway yeah thanks guys least I went. Even still did the cardio. Despite the elliptical switching off 3 times for no reason.

Reactions: CJ

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As you progress you should notice that the bad days become fewer and less severe. Keep up the great work man. You’ve already come a long way

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Back is aching from doms today just opening the cutlery drawer. Looks like the 85kg rows paid off.

Legs tomorrow. I’m going to try focus on my squat form I feel like I might not be getting the full motion in the reps even though I also still have legs doms from lifting heavier Sunday too. Might have to go a little lighter to be sure I’m doing it right. I hate the idea of going heavier and not having the form right...

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Back is aching from doms today just opening the cutlery drawer. Looks like the 85kg rows paid off.

Legs tomorrow. I’m going to try focus on my squat form I feel like I might not be getting the full motion in the reps even though I also still have legs doms from lifting heavier Sunday too. Might have to go a little lighter to be sure I’m doing it right. I hate the idea of going heavier and not having the form right...

Why do you feel range of motion is an issue?

Try to be very mindful of using the proper range of motion during the warmup sets, so your body will learn where you want it to go. Treat your warm-ups with respect, remember that they're form practice.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Why do you feel range of motion is an issue?

Try to be very mindful of using the proper range of motion during the warmup sets, so your body will learn where you want it to go. Treat your warm-ups with respect, remember that they're form practice.

I don’t think I’m doing it necessarily wrong. I’m just not letting my butt touch my ankles? I feel like I’m maybe doing 75% because I don’t think I could go that low with the weight I’m trying. The question is do I need to be doing all the way down? Or is it okay to go heavier with slightly less range. I also feel like those last few inches is harder on the knees maybe? I don’t know going to try tomorrow and really focus on my range.
i realise that sounds stupid I wouldn’t be actually touching my ankles. But you know what I mean.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I don’t think I’m doing it necessarily wrong. I’m just not letting my butt touch my ankles? I feel like I’m maybe doing 75% because I don’t think I could go that low with the weight I’m trying. The question is do I need to be doing all the way down? Or is it okay to go heavier with slightly less range. I also feel like those last few inches is harder on the knees maybe? I don’t know going to try tomorrow and really focus on my range

You don't NEED to go that deep, but more is usually better IF your body can get into that position with stability.

If your hips start to tuck underneath you at the bottom, it's a bit too far. It's called butt wink. You want to go to the point just before this is happening.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You don't NEED to go that deep, but more is usually better IF your body can get into that position with stability.

If your hips start to tuck underneath you at the bottom, it's a bit too far. It's called butt wink. You want to go to the point just before this is happening.

okay so if that’s the case I’m probably doing the perfect range of motion then, obviously I see people going deeper than me but if I’m feeling good doms I’m definitely working things well.
I just tried squatting at home to see what my form is like and I’m still feeling doms from Sunday and a lot of pressure on my hips. I think I’m going to struggle to lift heavy tomorrow. What do you do when yours doms haven’t recovered by the next training day?

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I just try to replicate how I squat without any weight. It makes sense that an unweighted squat will have perfect form for my body.

This is badly worded, I mean taking a squat to shit like a caveman is your body's natural mechanics. So I should squat how my body is intended to function and move.

Am I grabbing at things that are not there?

Last edited:

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I just try to replicate how I squat without any weight. It makes sense that an unweighted squat will have perfect form for my body.

This is badly worded, I mean taking a squat to shit like a caveman is your body's natural mechanics. So I should squat how my body is intended to function and move.

I understand what you mean, I have always had awful posture though and I’m a big guy so it’s not necessarily so natural for me. Always had issues with keeping my spine straight as well.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
okay so if that’s the case I’m probably doing the perfect range of motion then, obviously I see people going deeper than me but if I’m feeling good doms I’m definitely working things well.
I just tried squatting at home to see what my form is like and I’m still feeling doms from Sunday and a lot of pressure on my hips. I think I’m going to struggle to lift heavy tomorrow. What do you do when yours doms haven’t recovered by the next training day?

If it's just light doms, you're fine. If it's painful to the point where it affects your workout, then it's too much. Your doms sounds fine though, and after a few warmup sets you'll be good to go.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

Not necessarily, because when our ancestors(and some current cultures) were taking shits, they didn't have heavy loads on their backs. You can be perfectly safe in some positions unweighted where you'd be fukked if a heavy load was placed upon your body.

We're all built slightly differently, different limb lengths, different hips sockets, different ankle mobility.

New Threads