First Upper and Lower split

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
23/04

Just a tiny workout playing around in my home gym. (I don’t live here so I haven’t had much chance to test it out yet.) but it’s still my recovery week so I did only 20-30 minutes and light.
But the crazy thing is. I felt that 20kg chest press. Like never before. I felt the muscle with a huge connection.

I think I need to lift lighter and more reps. CJ come and tell me I’m wrong I know I am but I can’t describe it, the heavier I lift the less I feel like it’s working. Because I’m lifting weight I’m not capable of and I’m not doing it well... when I say not capable. I mean of form that will actually make the difference.

is it possible to gain muscle lifting lighter with more reps?

i don’t want to be a bodybuilder or power lifter. I just want to look like I lift... advice appreciated

Flat Chest press
Warm up bar, 20kg (12 reps) (15 reps) (12 reps)(12 reps)

Chest press machine
25kg (10 reps) 30kg (10 reps) 30kg (10 reps)

Trap raises cable
15kg (12 reps) (12 reps) (12 reps)

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You can absolutely gain muscle lifting lifter weight for higher reps, but the key is you have to get reasonably close to failure.

If you do a set of 15 reps but could've banged out 20, you're not doing shit besides a warmup.

Do a 20 rep max set of Squats and tell me it didn't fukk your world up.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I use this groovy rep max calculator I found to convert to different reps.
https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator

Although I always round up slightly.

Like say I know I can do 8 reps with 180 lbs. I put numbers in scroll down and look at 20 reps.

So 135 x 20. Feels accurate enough. Close to failure.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
You can absolutely gain muscle lifting lifter weight for higher reps, but the key is you have to get reasonably close to failure.

If you do a set of 15 reps but could've banged out 20, you're not doing shit besides a warmup.

Do a 20 rep max set of Squats and tell me it didn't fukk your world up.

im happy to hear this. I feel this is the type of training that will work for me...

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
im happy to hear this. I feel this is the type of training that will work for me...

Careful though, it's easy to trick yourself into thinking a set was hard, when you really had lots left in you. Don't get complacent, occasionally go to true failure(if safe) so you know what it feels like.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Careful though, it's easy to trick yourself into thinking a set was hard, when you really had lots left in you. Don't get complacent, occasionally go to true failure(if safe) so you know what it feels like.

If I’m going to try less weight and more reps. I promise I’m still going to put my all into it. I just think it might be a safer way for me to get better. And I won’t be going too light. I will experiment next week.

Last edited:

BrotherIron

Reaction score
i did have scheduled a break but my programming has changed a few times due to joint and muscle strain coming up to this break I’m taking right now.
Also to be completely honest This has been the strictest Iv had a gym routine in 7 years of going to the gym, so it’s already been a huge journey since I started this blog. I’m still not keeping track of everything I should but iv come a long way.

i drink a mixture of water and fizzy drinks. Just sometimes I go into more of the latter when I’m not feeling In the best of moods. I have no problem drinking water Though.

Success is small changes over a long period of time... so just keep at it.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
26/04

Upper 26/04

Incline bench press —
Flat bench press. No smith.
Warm up bar, 20kg (16 reps), (14 reps) , (15 reps)

Low row machine
45kg (20 reps), (17 reps), (15 reps)

Vertical traction machine
40kg (17 reps), (15 reps) (13 reps)

Chest press
40kg (15 reps), (13 reps), (11 reps)

Shoulder press
10kg (15 reps), (11 reps) (10 reps)

Hammer curls dumbbell
8kg (17 reps), (15 reps), (11 reps)

Overhead tricep cable
10kg (20 reps) (15 reps) (15 reps)

Weight 110.7kg

back at it today. Goal is to do higher reps but with good strict form and not rush them. And either increase my reps or lift a little heavier. I think I started out at a good average weight.

was harder than I thought it would be but I enjoyed it, felt like I was working the muscles better than when I go heavy as I can. Also trying not to exert myself too much because I don’t want that weird ab/side pain again.

this workout took a tiny bit longer but I took less time on rests I figured that would be part of the compensation of lifting less weight.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I’m doing my best but I despise legs day.
did a little more cardio today. I don’t walk enough so it’s no wonder my joints are getting ****ed when I’m squatting. Trying to be more careful but still push what I can.

Lower 28/04
Day 2

Leg press (strict, slower and full ROM)
80kg (17 reps) 90kg (14 reps) 90 (12 reps)

Smith machine squat
Warm up bar, 20kg (15 reps) (17 reps) (13 reps)

Leg extensions
30kg (12 reps), (12 reps), (12 reps)

Leg curls
Skip.

Smith calf raise
30kg (15 reps), 50kg (17 reps) 50kg (14 reps)

Barbell Concentration curls (machine)
20kg (10 reps) 15kg (13 reps)

CGBP
30kg (15 reps) (12 reps) (12 reps)

Cross trainer level 4
15 minutes.

110.4kg

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Got good doms after those long rep Sqauts but then I had to walk all around ikea and carrying furniture yesterday. I feel like that was an extra workout I’m so tired today lol

sfw509

Reaction score
Walking around an Ikea with doms counts as cardio. Nice work.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Today I spent hours gardening, building furniture, putting up fences. Not the kind of physical activity a pampered fatty like me is used to I’m absolutely ****ed. I might not manage the gym tomorrow. But damn ive done some physical stuff this week. I really need to build up my stamina but at least I’m doing things. Hate that I’m missing some gym sessions but other things are more important right now.

if I have the energy tomorrow I will go but doubtful. And if I do skip I plan for it to be the last time I skip in awhile. I should conserve my energy better but since before covid it’s hard to know what my limit is.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Today I spent hours gardening, building furniture, putting up fences. Not the kind of physical activity a pampered fatty like me is used to I’m absolutely ****ed. I might not manage the gym tomorrow. But damn ive done some physical stuff this week. I really need to build up my stamina but at least I’m doing things. Hate that I’m missing some gym sessions but other things are more important right now.

if I have the energy tomorrow I will go but doubtful. And if I do skip I plan for it to be the last time I skip in awhile. I should conserve my energy better but since before covid it’s hard to know what my limit is.

Another reason why I wanted you to do the cardio.... Work capacity. Do it!!!!!!! :32 (20):

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Another reason why I wanted you to do the cardio.... Work capacity. Do it!!!!!!! :32 (20):

i really am trying to do more. Honestly I hide at home more because I know that covid would hit me hard if I got it and I still havent had any vaccine and probably won’t for a long time. And that in turn means I’m not getting out and walking as much as I should (in Spain a mask is compulsory in all public places and it makes being out and about far less enjoyable) It’s a vicious cycle. Trying to fix it.

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
i really am trying to do more. Honestly I hide at home more because I know that covid would hit me hard if I got it and I still havent had any vaccine and probably won’t for a long time. And that in turn means I’m not getting out and walking as much as I should (in Spain a mask is compulsory in all public places and it makes being out and about far less enjoyable) It’s a vicious cycle. Trying to fix it.

I'm just teasing you. Love ya, mean it!!!

sfw509

Reaction score
What kind of restrictions are still in place in Spain?

As much as all of this sucks, I understand being cautious if you know how bad getting covid could be for you. Stay healthy. Train smart.

You got this!

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
What kind of restrictions are still in place in Spain?

As much as all of this sucks, I understand being cautious if you know how bad getting covid could be for you. Stay healthy. Train smart.

You got this!

Restrictions are permanently hard because we are one of the countries rolling out the least vaccines. It really is minimal they still haven’t finished the over 80’s it’s a joke. you are supposed to wear a mask all the time in public. And you can only smoke if you can keep a 2 meter distance from people (although every smoker does whatever they want which Infuriates me, why one rule for everyone else and not for them?)
have to wear the mask even when doing cardio and once summer starts up here it’s excruciating, especially with a guy like me who oversweats when working out anyway.

I mean Iv been going to the gym since November and managed to avoid covid. But that doesn’t mean I’m happy walking around in a mask all the time. I know it’s necessary for control but it’s super uncomfortable. And yeah my health isn’t the best. I’m asthmatic, I have allergies and I breathe badly. And I’m overweight. For me that sounds like the perfect cocktail for getting ****ed by covid so yeah I am more careful than most.

im struggling to find motivation to train while simultaneously doing work on this summer house. They are both super physical and I can’t seem to do both.

New Threads