Hormone treatment for cancer

Reaction score
What a kick in the ass. As I've mentioned, my father has been diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer and they're putting a plan together now. Some of the options include blocking testosterone, as the cancer feeds on it.

As if shit isn't bad enough, surgery or radiation, add to it the horrible feeling of having zero test. I feel bad for the guy, he's in for a rough ride I believe.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
My father had his go-round with this. It's no picnic but I would expect a good outcome. Be there for him, most men especially the older ones don't talk about this to others. Prayers out for Pop!

Reaction score
My father had his go-round with this. It's no picnic but I would expect a good outcome. Be there for him, most men especially the older ones don't talk about this to others. Prayers out for Pop!

What was his course of treatment snake?

When he got the news he was down. Like it was a death sentence. Fast forward a week or two and he's right where he needs to be, ready to kick this things ass.

Reactions: CJ

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
What was his course of treatment snake?

When he got the news he was down. Like it was a death sentence. Fast forward a week or two and he's right where he needs to be, ready to kick this things ass.

Complete removal.

He was down but you have to remember they recall this diagnosis as if it was 50 years ago when things were not so great. He came around quick. Hope your ol' man does as well.

Reaction score
Complete removal.

He was down but you have to remember they recall this diagnosis as if it was 50 years ago when things were not so great. He came around quick. Hope your ol' man does as well.

I appreciate that brother.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like snake said, stick by him. Let him know it's ok to show weakness and that after all the times he took care of you that it's your turn to be strong for him. Also, don't forget the little things. They will mean far more to him than elaborate schemes or gestures. Praying for your pops and family

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My dad was treated for the same last year. Radiation. What stage is it? Has it spread/metastasized?

We all
know you can be the rock he needs.

Not feeling feelings can come in handy sometimes:)

Reaction score
I don't know his age and what his gleason score is, but you might want to look at "Brachytherapy" it's raido active seeds implanted into the prostate. NO removal, everything is treated in place, 92% success rate much better than removal plus you have a better chance of keeping regular body functions. If you opt for removal he'll have to contend with a catheter, & that in itself can be a real problem. Just to throw it out there, not near as bad as surgery. Hope this helps. (I was down for a weekend, that was it back to work on monday)

Reaction score
My dad was treated for the same last year. Radiation. What stage is it? Has it spread/metastasized?

We all
know you can be the rock he needs.

Not feeling feelings can come in handy sometimes:)
I dont have those answers right now. He had tests this week, he meets with his doc Monday. Its all very odd to me. His mothers funeral was 2 weeks ago, first time in my life I've seen a tear in his eye. Suddenly he's human. 43 years, I never seen him as anything other than superman. Its all odd. I've never known him to worry. For a minute there, he was scared. Not the man I know.

And the feelings thing....thats what makes it all confusing. I dont get it.

Reaction score
I don't know his age and what his gleason score is, but you might want to look at "Brachytherapy" it's raido active seeds implanted into the prostate. NO removal, everything is treated in place, 92% success rate much better than removal plus you have a better chance of keeping regular body functions. If you opt for removal he'll have to contend with a catheter, & that in itself can be a real problem. Just to throw it out there, not near as bad as surgery. Hope this helps. (I was down for a weekend, that was it back to work on monday)

If you asked me a week ago I could have told you his score, unfortunately I've since forgotten.

In his mind, seeds and hormone treatment is what he wants, but he has to wait and see what they say.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Best wishes brother.

I know a guy from elementary school up until now at the age of 51 last year had his removed because of cancer.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this brutha.

Sounds like a tough man and a fighter. Positive vibes for a positive outcome.

You are in my thoughts.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear 30. I know a couple people who have recovered from prostate cancer. The old dogs are tough bastards. Be there for him and he will pull through.

As my father said to me when I turned 40 - getting old isn't for sissies.

The old dogs are a different breed. Prayers to a speedy recovery for your pops.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear 30. I know a couple people who have recovered from prostate cancer. The old dogs are tough bastards. Be there for him and he will pull through.

As my father said to me when I turned 40 - getting old isn't for sissies.

The old dogs are a different breed. Prayers to a speedy recovery for your pops.

He will get through it. His head is mostly on straight now and we'll do what it takes to get him past it.

Its just so aggravating. Retire after 41 years with the same company. A week later, oh yeah. You can begin retirement with this shit. I feel bad for him.

New Threads