Bulking: Enhanced Vs. Natural

Reaction score
Before I begin let me clarify that I am not natural. I have done two cycles.

I am wondering if there should be a different approach to bulking on steroids vs natural. Maximum muscle gains is the ultimate concern in mind.

During my bulks I have always been very very slight calorie surplus, along with only clean food. I would only increase it by 200 calories every 2-4 weeks. As a natural and as enhanced (AAS).

It’s important to note, I have never dirty bulked. Yet alone push calories *high*.

Question to inspire replies...
Would a huge calorie spike of 2,000 for 12-20 weeks yield a significant amount of muscle gain. In comparison to a caloric increase of 200 calories every 2 weeks for 12-20 weeks. Or would it just yield more fat. (THIS IS CONSIDERING IF A PERSON IS ON AAS)

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I would increase more like 200Kcal each week. 2000Kcal will definitely add mass but not necessarily the kind of mass you want. Some fluff is ok but you don't want to be a fatass.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
In my experience, aside from increased glycogen and water storage capacity - between nutrient partitioning and increased protein synthesis it's easier to gain muscle on many steroids with less caloric intake than it would take naturally. A ton of extra carbs will inflate your muscles with glycogen and water giving the appearance of muscle gain... and I lost my train of thought, I have zero clue where Im going with this lmfao goodnight!

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
2000 excess calories right off the bat I’m not sure anyone could build decent muscle on that amount of excess. Even I only go maybe 500 over 2500-3000 when I want to gain weight. But what do I know. Good luck!

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve seen people who have the most success putting on a substantial amount of actual muscle mass pushing the calories high with mostly CLEAN food, bumping up a substantial amount of weight that is pretty uncomfortable, hold it for a while and own the weight, grow into it in a sense, then diet down or keep pushing. If dieting down a bit the next time you hit that weight it feels a lot better and looks a lot better. Every new 20 pounds or so feels awful. I remember when 250 felt terrible, now I’d feel light and starving, I remember when 270 felt awful, now I can maintain 270 on a 150mg cruise and not paying any attention to my calories probably way under eating. Most recently I pushed up past 290 and saw 300 on the scale at the end. I’m down due to a surgery but I know for sure that weight will feel and look better next time.

Last edited:

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Just to add to my post, I would not add 2000 calories in at once, that’s way too much, but adding 1000 calories to your current diet and assessing changes weekly and making small changes as needed will work great whether natural or enhanced.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I've found personally when I stay at a surplus of about 300 cals/day I end up at the same place in the same amount of time vs. 500+ calorie bulking then spending months recomping. I look and feel better year round and the result is actually a little better.

I'm glad you asked this OP. I recently figured out my net gain, leanest to leanest for the last 30 months. It's 0.5 pounds per month. That's 15 pounds of lean mass that isn't going way in 2.5 years. That's significant. Guys who think they're going to put on 10 pounds of pure meat in a 12-16 cycle have unrealistic expectations.

Been at this for almost 4 decades, and I can tell you this as fact: patience requires a hell of a lot less work than trying to peel off all that extra fat.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've found personally when I stay at a surplus of about 300 cals/day I end up at the same place in the same amount of time vs. 500+ calorie bulking then spending months recomping. I look and feel better year round and the result is actually a little better.

I'm glad you asked this OP. I recently figured out my net gain, leanest to leanest for the last 30 months. It's 0.5 pounds per month. That's 15 pounds of lean mass that isn't going way in 2.5 years. That's significant. Guys who think they're going to put on 10 pounds of pure meat in a 12-16 cycle have unrealistic expectations.

Been at this for almost 4 decades, and I can tell you this as fact: patience requires a hell of a lot less work than trying to peel off all that extra fat.

This logic makes a ton of sense to me. If you gain slowly then your body and habits, eating and lifting as well as others, keep up with the change as opposed to blowing up real quick and then losing a decent amount because the homeostasis wasn’t there to support where you got to be.

Big Mikey

Reaction score
The window on surplus/deficits are quite narrow before unwanted effects arise. I would advise to stay within 500 calories of maintenance for gains & cutting.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
The window on surplus/deficits are quite narrow before unwanted effects arise. I would advise to stay within 500 calories of maintenance for gains & cutting.

**** that.. maybe somewhat for building lean mass, but cutting.. no. That's why we use tren and other aas.. nutrient partitioning, increased protein synthesis, and anti-catabolic nature... I prefer a rather steep caloric deficit

New Threads