Weekly food prep for bulking:questions on Costco list

Miamiking

Reaction score
I have so much time per week when I can get done what I need and I am trying to bulk while working a very physical job with a very lean build and doing it for as cheap as I can get. I am getting things I can prepare and take with me to work etc to eat that digests easily and is ready to go. Mainly alot of rice and chicken / meat and homemade shakes (with whatever full meals I have time for in between)

From what I have gathered Costco going to be my easiest and cheapest one stop source of ingredients for most everything. Is this the best place to buy chicken breasts/ thighs / meat for price?

I think a lot of my calories can be added to with homemade shakes based on what I have read. I have some questions on the ingredients / items..

For shakes:

Oats (What kind of "oats" am I looking for and do I need a special machine to be able to mix these or any blender will work)?
Milk - Regular milk will work or almond milk only?
Muscle Milk and/or other whey protein powder costco offers - do they only offer isolate at costco?
fruits/ berries
almond butter / macademia nut oil / flax seed oil - all or just one of these?
Peanut Butter powder

cereal - I love cereal, particularly raisin brand crunch, but is this not ideal when bulking? If so, what are some good cereals?

Rice - Any specific kind or just regular white rice?
eggs
chicken breasts/thighs - baked once a week and eaten throughout week with rice at work
steaks - whatever is cheap

I will be adding different things throughout the day during week but I want to use these as staples to make sure I am getting the calories and protein I need everyday.
Any suggestions?

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So let’s start by taking a step back, relax and take a breath. I think you’re over thinking this. As long as you are on a surplus then you will gain. Depending on how you get there will determine how much of that gain is fat and how much is muscle mass. I’ll also say that you want as much of your calories as possible to come from whole foods as opposed to “meal replacement” shakes.

For your protein powder I personally wouldn’t buy much offered at Costco or Sam’s. Find you a local place, not GNC, and sample the different flavors and pick one you like or order some online. Something like Nutrabio and a few others that are quality products with minimal fillers.

I think the main thing on a bulk is to get foods that you like so that it isn’t as much of a chore to do so.

For meal prepping I would look into possibly getting you one of those meal prep cooler bags that has its own containers that fit perfectly. Slap 6 in there and you have food for the entire day.

Miamiking

Reaction score
So let’s start by taking a step back, relax and take a breath. I think you’re over thinking this. As long as you are on a surplus then you will gain. Depending on how you get there will determine how much of that gain is fat and how much is muscle mass. I’ll also say that you want as much of your calories as possible to come from whole foods as opposed to “meal replacement” shakes.

For your protein powder I personally wouldn’t buy much offered at Costco or Sam’s. Find you a local place, not GNC, and sample the different flavors and pick one you like or order some online. Something like Nutrabio and a few others that are quality products with minimal fillers.

I think the main thing on a bulk is to get foods that you like so that it isn’t as much of a chore to do so.

For meal prepping I would look into possibly getting you one of those meal prep cooler bags that has its own containers that fit perfectly. Slap 6 in there and you have food for the entire day.

if not costco or sams or GNC, what are some local places that have protein powders you find acceptable? What are the key terms I am looking or in the protein that make it that much better than Sams / Costco / GNC?

I didn't think which powder mattered as much when bulking , just that you get in the protein. You don't like Muscle Milk? I understand the whole foods concept but when I am working non stop 10+ hours each day, another 3 driving, I have little time and ability to eat, but because I work at a bar I have access to the smoothie machine and can add stuff I bring to it and easily make homemade shakes during my shift on top of those little meals I want to prepare. Just trying to have as many options as possible to add good, large caloric meals / shakes on hand for times I may only be able to have that because work is so slammed, etc. But trying to perfect as much as possible .

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have so much time per week when I can get done what I need and I am trying to bulk while working a very physical job with a very lean build and doing it for as cheap as I can get. I am getting things I can prepare and take with me to work etc to eat that digests easily and is ready to go. Mainly alot of rice and chicken / meat and homemade shakes (with whatever full meals I have time for in between)

From what I have gathered Costco going to be my easiest and cheapest one stop source of ingredients for most everything. Is this the best place to buy chicken breasts/ thighs / meat for price?

I think a lot of my calories can be added to with homemade shakes based on what I have read. I have some questions on the ingredients / items..

For shakes:

Oats (What kind of "oats" am I looking for and do I need a special machine to be able to mix these or any blender will work)?
Milk - Regular milk will work or almond milk only?
Muscle Milk and/or other whey protein powder costco offers - do they only offer isolate at costco?
fruits/ berries
almond butter / macademia nut oil / flax seed oil - all or just one of these?
Peanut Butter powder

cereal - I love cereal, particularly raisin brand crunch, but is this not ideal when bulking? If so, what are some good cereals?

Rice - Any specific kind or just regular white rice?
eggs
chicken breasts/thighs - baked once a week and eaten throughout week with rice at work
steaks - whatever is cheap

I will be adding different things throughout the day during week but I want to use these as staples to make sure I am getting the calories and protein I need everyday.
Any suggestions?

Oats: either use a coffee grinder to powderize rolled oats, or simply use oat flour.

Milk: You're bulking, so whole milk if you need the calories. It's an easy way to get in extra calories. If you're gone on Cals, use whatever, and leave the milk as a card to play later if you plateau.

Whatever you want for nut butters, they're loaded with Cals.

Whey protein isolate is your best best. Look at the ingredients, you don't want your protein to be spiked. If you see many types listed, especially concentrate or soy protein, avoid it.

Fruits and berries are awesome, but not many Cals in them. But LOADED with nutrients.

Cereal is awesome, easy to eat and digest.

Rice is great, whichever you want, white rice tends to digest better for most people. Some, but not all, can have an issue with brown. Mix it with ground beef, shredded chicken, pork, some butter, toss in some frozen spinach while cooking. These are easy meals to digest. That's what you want, food that won't sit in you for so long that it affects subsequent meals.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Eggs and bacon
Bacon and eggs
Sardines and bacon
Bacon and liver
Chicken and bacon
Bacon and steak
Veggies and bacon
Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalepenos
More bacon

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
Oh and most important of all.. splurge a large costco pizza to yourself once a week if you've been behind on your calories

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Oh and most important of all.. splurge a large costco pizza to yourself once a week if you've been behind on your calories

Those macros look like my average day! :32 (18):

Minus all the nutrients though.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Another thing, get some digestive enzymes to aid in digestion.

I can't say for certain if they're the reason why, as this year I've chosen better foods to gain weight with, but bloat and digestion issues have basically been non existent this year. It's been MUCH better to overeat this go around.

New Threads