Chiropractors, scam or real deal?

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
My issues with chiropractors are that they are hit and miss. I have been to 4 in total and 2 were awesome and the other 2 were garbage.

One of the guys tried to "adjust" me and didn't get a single vertebrae to crack. Said I was a big fella and it may take a few sessions to loosen me up to be adjusted. OK twig, lift some weights if you can't crack the back of a guy my size. On my way out, he tried to sell me a shelf full of "supplements" to help loosen me up. Fuk that guy!

On the flip side, I went to a guy for about 3 months that had me walking straight from my lower back issues, drastically improved my range of motion in my shoulders and had me literally pain free in the gym for months afterwards. I'll add that this guy had a physical therapist in his office as well and the combination of the 2 were life changing for me. He was also a former college athlete so he understood and had experienced but of my pain.

Like I said above, you have to find the right one which can be tough.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My issues with chiropractors are that they are hit and miss. I have been to 4 in total and 2 were awesome and the other 2 were garbage.

One of the guys tried to "adjust" me and didn't get a single vertebrae to crack. Said I was a big fella and it may take a few sessions to loosen me up to be adjusted. OK twig, lift some weights if you can't crack the back of a guy my size. On my way out, he tried to sell me a shelf full of "supplements" to help loosen me up. Fuk that guy!

On the flip side, I went to a guy for about 3 months that had me walking straight from my lower back issues, drastically improved my range of motion in my shoulders and had me literally pain free in the gym for months afterwards. I'll add that this guy had a physical therapist in his office as well and the combination of the 2 were life changing for me. He was also a former college athlete so he understood and had experienced but of my pain.

Like I said above, you have to find the right one which can be tough.

I do agree and you’re better off getting a recommendation from someone you know. However, I will point out that it’s the same with any profession. You want a good contractor. You find a buddy to recommend someone. In my area any kind of work I need done on my house.... it’s the same thing nothing but bullshit & aggravation.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
DF has come to one of my meets in the past and kept me in the game. Did I have my best day - nope. But I would have had to withdraw if he wasn't there to snap me back into place and keep me going.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
My friends chiro was selling her on her 3 chihuahuas needing adjustments and to bring them in. Wtf

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
I had some very basic training from a dr/chiro who referred to those knots as trigger points. Taught me how to do at home pressure point therapy with an omni roller ball. Can find it on Amazon easy. Cut a piece of Velcro and stick it to the wall then lean back on it for sixty seconds. And repeat. There might be videos on you tube. There can be a bunch together that’s when that start to make funny shapes like bananas. If you have someone to help they can use their thumb. You have to place the hand of the side with trigger across your chest on opposite shoulder. That rolls the blade out of the way to expose the triggers better.
Bad part is when you get good at it. Your whole family will have you working on them. I’ve helped everything from head aches to stiff necks. I hope your problem is just that and not something more serious. Best of luck. When you move around you will know your on it. Just hang in their and use less pressure if it’s too bad.
Saw a grown man throw up, and another black out. Trigger points ain’t no joke. Need constant maintenance for active people. In my humble opinion :32 (17):

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had some very basic training from a dr/chiro who referred to those knots as trigger points. Taught me how to do at home pressure point therapy with an omni roller ball. Can find it on Amazon easy. Cut a piece of Velcro and stick it to the wall then lean back on it for sixty seconds. And repeat. There might be videos on you tube. There can be a bunch together that’s when that start to make funny shapes like bananas. If you have someone to help they can use their thumb. You have to place the hand of the side with trigger across your chest on opposite shoulder. That rolls the blade out of the way to expose the triggers better.
Bad part is when you get good at it. Your whole family will have you working on them. I’ve helped everything from head aches to stiff necks. I hope your problem is just that and not something more serious. Best of luck. When you move around you will know your on it. Just hang in their and use less pressure if it’s too bad.
Saw a grown man throw up, and another black out. Trigger points ain’t no joke. Need constant maintenance for active people. In my humble opinion :32 (17):

Soft tissue work is a skill that anyone in this lifestyle should learn. Also those in professions that have over use injuries tendinitis ect...

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My friends chiro was selling her on her 3 chihuahuas needing adjustments and to bring them in. Wtf

I’ve never gotten into Chiropractic for animals. I could see a benefit especially for older large dogs where the hips tend to go.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
A good chiro will definitely give you some relief. Thing is, a lot of alignment issues come from muscular imbalances. So you’ll get adjusted, feel great for a day or maybe even a week, then your muscles will pull you back out of alignment. Don’t blame the chiro in that case, your banged up and need a lot of attention to detail with the imbalances!

I second this. If you have muscular issues (chronic inflammation, knots etc) that are pulling your skeletal system out of whack, having someone realign you is only going to be a temporary fix. Physical therapy and also good deep tissue massage to relieve the knots may allow things to fall back into place on their own, if not, once things have loosened up a bit, THEN get adjusted.

It's the same as working out; with consistent work we overcome our bodies desire to stay the same and we grow muscle. In this case you probably hold stress in your shoulders (me too) and now, your body is used to that and considers it normal.

It's a process to untrain and retrain it back to where it should be.

I've had good and bad experiences with chiros, but you certainly can't expect them to just crack your back and magically fix a problem that didn't arise overnight.

With a well rounded approach, you can be better a lot faster than you think. Massage, PT and then maybe an adjustment. Most importantly is to learn why those knots developed and and how to keep them from recurring.

lfod14

Reaction score
I would have been in pain and out of work for many years without Chiropractors. I swear by them. I've had a couple over the years (moving) and they've all been great. No doubt there's bad ones out there, but I've never had a bad one.

Gabriel

Reaction score
33 yrs ago my daughter was born..a lump in her neck continue to grow as she aged..Dr.s wanted to operate..on a 2 yr old..I was going to a Chiropractor in ATL..as I have most of my life..with 1 adjustment the lump was gone in 1 month..

They are hit and miss..but most Dr.s are as well..

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Been to 2 chiros and never had a good experience. Last time I went bc my father n law was begging me to go see one for his back and said he'd pay for it. Went In, told them what was wrong and how long I've been dealing with it and told them I want xrays bc I feel like I herniated a disk. They told me they thought it was a strained muscle and wanted to do 3 message treatments first before xrays. Said fuk that and went somewhere to get xrays. Low n behold my t12 and l1 are anteriorly wedged. Would have wasted money on bullshit guessing with the chiropractor.

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
I second this. If you have muscular issues (chronic inflammation, knots etc) that are pulling your skeletal system out of whack, having someone realign you is only going to be a temporary fix. Physical therapy and also good deep tissue massage to relieve the knots may allow things to fall back into place on their own, if not, once things have loosened up a bit, THEN get adjusted.

It's the same as working out; with consistent work we overcome our bodies desire to stay the same and we grow muscle. In this case you probably hold stress in your shoulders (me too) and now, your body is used to that and considers it normal.

It's a process to untrain and retrain it back to where it should be.

I've had good and bad experiences with chiros, but you certainly can't expect them to just crack your back and magically fix a problem that didn't arise overnight.

With a well rounded approach, you can be better a lot faster than you think. Massage, PT and then maybe an adjustment. Most importantly is to learn why those knots developed and and how to keep them from recurring.

I've noticed my shoulders are rounded forwards some probably from bad posture over a period of time. Im sure that doesnt help either.Its just hard to decide who to dish out money too first. Im thinking a doctor first then a PT or massage based off what they say

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I've noticed my shoulders are rounded forwards some probably from bad posture over a period of time. Im sure that doesnt help either.Its just hard to decide who to dish out money too first. Im thinking a doctor first then a PT or massage based off what they say
Shoulders rounding is caused by tightness in the pectoral muscles, and weakness in the trapezius and rhomboid muscles.

When you start using heavy weights in your workouts, you're unable to exercise your rhomboids properly. This means you have to target them individually, to prevent an imbalance.

I would suggest doing bat wing rows https://www.t-nation.com/training/reawaken-your-rhomboids and pectoral stretches

Last edited:

Kellkell26

Lady Member
Reaction score
Shoulders rounding is caused by tightness in the pectoral muscles, and weakness in the trapezius and rhomboid muscles.

When you start using heavy weights in your workouts, you're unable to exercise your rhomboids properly. This means you have to target them individually, to prevent an imbalance.

I would suggest doing bat wing rows https://www.t-nation.com/training/reawaken-your-rhomboids and pectoral stretches

That was really helpful and ill definitely start doing that! And I hate to say it but I never work traps lol. Ill start working on that tomorrow :) thanks!

Reaction score
Have been going to one for about 5-6 times now. Feels somewhat better but not sure what the deal is yet until I get my x-ray results. Have heard tons of different stories about them though. Would probably assume those naprapat people are better.

New Threads